Thursday, September 10, 2015

Hogwarts - floating pumpkins






Being an author I suppose it was expected that I would indoctrinate my kids into the fabulous wizarding world of Harry Potter. Now with my eldest son turning eleven, I seem to have shot myself in the foot. So enthralled is he that his only request for his eleventh birthday is to have a Hogwarts Halloween themed birthday. "No problem," I said. "Easy peasy lemon squeezie." What a muppet I was. Little did I know then the lengths I would go to transform my dining room into Hogwarts hall. Over the next few posts I will be laying my lunacy out for all to see, and copy if they should want. At the end of my endeavour, I will put up more pictures (better quality ones) to show you all the end result.

To begin with, I started with the floating pumpkins.

These were probably the easiest and cheapest things to do. I simply went into the dollar tree store, picked up some Styrofoam pumpkins and carved out a scary face.  Luckily for me they were hollow.

Once I was satisfied with the face I pressed a LED tealight (also found in dollar tree) into the base, making an impression. The impression meant I could cut the hole in the bottom of the pumpkin to the right size needed for the tealight.

Using a hot glue gun, I glued the tealight into the base, making sure it was flush with the sides. Of course, I couldn't resist flicking on the switch and admiring my handiwork. You can see a before and after below.


The last step is the easiest. Using very fine fishing line... seen below... and a needle, I threaded the invisible line through the top of the pumpkin stalk. I made sure to try and get the line entering and exiting on opposite sides of the stalk, that way when it's tied it will be directly above the pumpkin, not off to the side making it lopsided.


Tying off the fishing line can be tricky.  If it's not done right the knot can slip.
Using a surgeons knot first (seen here ) I was able to secure it. Then it was just a simple case of using the same knot over a thumbtack and jamming it into the ceiling at various heights and Bob's your Uncle. If only all things were this simple. I hope you enjoyed my craziness and will be back to see what's next.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.