Monday, November 30, 2015

Author Spotlight: C.R. Leverette




Author Spotlight

In this Author Spotlight I interviewed C.R. Leverette, author of, Trouble In Peaceful Haven, a Sci-Fi/Western novella.

 What is your book about? 
Movian Jenks is a man haunted by his past. 
On the world of Antridi, the Peaceful Haven settlement was established as a throwback to simpler times, modeled after the ideals of the Old West ways on Earth. But as the town was being built, a duo of bandits showed up and changed Movian's life forever.
Two years later, the town has thrived and life has continued, but Movian is haunted by his demons. And when troublemaker Darin shows up, things become even more complicated for all the townspeople of Peaceful Haven.
Set against the backdrop of an alien world, this sci-fi western offers a story of revenge, adversity, and, ultimately, forgiveness.


What inspired you to write this book?
I have been a lifelong fan of science fiction and fantasy. I've always loved dreaming of alien worlds and space travel. Though I've written many short stories in the sci-fi genre, I wanted to try my hand at a longer format. Throwing in the western elements is simply a nod to another genre that I love.

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book?
I absolutely love Bill Conners. His wisdom and down-to-earth manner really endear him to me. As for my least favorite, I would obviously have to choose Darin. He's everything that I dislike in a person. I suppose that's appropriate for a villain.

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?
Science fiction is an escape for me. As I said before, I've been a lifelong fan, even when I was very little. The idea of sailing across the stars and discovering new planets with new lifeforms is thrilling for me. I also write fantasy stories, and I've even been known to dabble with supernatural stories too. I'm also a poet.

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more?
This novella is standalone. However, I am in the beginning stages of another book set on the same planet.

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself?
I was drawn to writing at a young age, although back then I would simply rip off books that I liked and tweak them enough to seem different. As I grew older and read more and more books, authors like J. R. R. Tolkien, Ray Bradbury, C. S. Lewis, Pierce Anthony, many others, opened my eyes to amazing new worlds. I was hooked.

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel?
Now there's a tough question! Of course, the Lord of the Rings trilogy has always been at the top of my list. But it's nearly impossible to narrow the staggeringly large list down.

Have you written other books we should know about?
Unfortunately, not at this time.

If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be? 
Never stop learning your craft. Don't become complacent. You can always learn and you can always improve.

Where can we find your book?

Where can we find out more about you?

 

19 comments:

  1. This looks pretty good! I'll add it to my goodreads list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to read this book. Great interview and I agree: there is always room for improvement

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like an awesome read! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good and I like what was said about making room for improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! I haven't heard of a lot of scifi/western novels - very cool! Writing - it is something I love, and try to do daily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never would've put sic-fi and western as a genre, but he seems to have done it! I actually like the sound of this book! How fun to actually interview the author!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a very interesting book! sci-fi + western sounds like a neat combo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is an interesting genre for a book. i wish i had more time to read

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhh...this one looks interesting!! I'm going to have to add this to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Firefly series sort of renewed my faith in the sci fi western (that the original Star Trek blundered through, though it did have its moments), so this sounds promising. I'll have to add it to my to read list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to Leverette on getting his first book published! He is so right in that writers need to always be practicing and learning their craft As a writing teacher I repeat this often to my students,

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is lovely you were able to interview the author. I will have to add this to my book list

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like an interesting book! Thanks for introducing us to the author!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a fascinating book. I am having trouble putting a western and sci fi together in my mind, but it sounds like Leverette made it work. Congratulations to him and great job with this interview. It was quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like an interesting read. I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. sci-fi and western - all in one book? Hmmm....interesting indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like an interesting read and I've never read anything in this genre. I'm looking forward to reading this western sci-fi!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this might be the first time that I have heard of the sci-fi western genre before. I like the cover art for this novella.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a great book. I should get this book for my fiancé! Great gift!

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.