Saturday, December 5, 2015

Author Spotlight: Savannah Avery


Author Spotlight
In this Author Spotlight I interview Savannah Avery, author of, Girls, a Young Adult novel.

What is your book about? 
When Coco meets the girls she wants nothing more than to be a part of their group. They have everything she ever wanted; friendship, independence, beauty, and attention from boys. But being one of the girls isn't easy. The group's leader, M, has strict rules and requires all of her girls to use their bodies to make her money.



How much is Coco willing to give up to be one of the girls?



What inspired you to write this book?
I’ve always been interested in young adult (teen) literature, so I knew that when I wrote a book I wanted it to be young adult. I started doing research, trying to figure out what topic I wanted to write the book about. That’s when I came across human trafficking. On the surface it seemed to be all the same, a troubled kid runs away from home and gets kidnapped by a pimp. But when I dug a little bit deeper I started to notice a change. Human trafficking wasn’t always a kidnapped-trouble kid situation, sometimes it was done in high school, in suburbs, even while still living at their parents home! I wanted to write a book that opened up people’s minds about human trafficking. I wanted to inform and warn parents and teens about what can happen, and how easily it is to become wrapped up in something dangerous.


Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book?
My favourite character would have to be Kitty, which is a bit ironic because she is probably the least- talked about character in the book. I love her because she is unique, her personality is very complex, and I’ve noticed that everyone who reads the book has a different opinion on why she acts the way she does. Of course, my least favourite character is M. She is manipulative and abusive. However, even with her you can see she is just as damaged as the other girls. It’s no excuse for her behaviour, but it does show that something deeper is going on.

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?
The young adult years of everyone’s life is the most dramatic. So much is going on, so much is changing. It’s such an interesting time in someone’s life, that makes it fun to write about. I haven’t published any other novels in another genre yet. However, the book I’m working on now is a Christmas mystery. It isn’t technically young adult, although most of the characters in it are young adults.

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more?
As of right now it’s a standalone book, there may be more books in the future, I’m still undecided.

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself?
Well, I’m in my twenties and married to the most beautiful woman in the world. I live in the Hampton roads area in Virginia, and I love it here. (I’m less than 20 mins from the beach!) I have always written for as long as I can remember, mostly it was just poetry. I have written novels before, but never published. My wife was the one who really encouraged me to publish my work. There are so many authors who I’m inspired by, including Ellen Hopkins and Jennifer Brown.

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel?
Oh man! My favourite novel? I’m not sure I could pick just one! Of course (like everyone) I love the Harry Potter series, the Selection series was also amazing, the Chronicles of Narnia is a classic. Yeah, I could go on and on!

Have you written other books we should know about? 
Yes! I have written Keeping Fog, a young adult romance novel! 
I also have a new book coming out November 2016, it will be a Christmas Mystery.

If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?
Write everyday. Read everyday. Those are the two most important things you could do to have a successful career as an author. Also, listen to the feedback of your readers, good and bad!

Where can we find your book?

Where can we find out more about you?
Instagram: @AuthorSavannahAvery
Twitter:@SavannahAvery0


 

24 comments:

  1. I love discovering new authors and books, this sounds like a good read, I don't mind reading young adult books at all :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a very interesting book. the topic is a tough one. I'm intrigued enough to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Savannah sounds fascinating and clearly has great taste in books.I like that she is so open and honest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I secretly still love to read teen books and this one sounds like one I would like to read. Great interview and spotlight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read teen book along with my teen. They keep me forever young. Off to read this book

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like an incredibly interesting book. I like the twist on the stereotype of human trafficking. Adding this to my must read list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an important book for young people today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a wonderful book for young girls. I think I'm going to get a copy for my niece :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not really into YA novels myself, but this seems like a story a lot of young girls can relate to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Young Adult is my favorite genre to read. I agree that the teen years were the most drama and make for some of the best stories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love young adult fiction...it is definitely one of my favorite genres. And I love learning about new authors. This book sounds right up my alley, and I have been looking for a new read for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book looks like another one I need to add to my list of things to read when I have time! Thanks for the review and recommendation

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a great novel! I will have to tell my younger sister about it! I bet it would be something she'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love reading YA. I love that your story is full of drama but also informative. This is great for conversation betweens parents and teens.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anything bringing the issues of human trafficking to light is a win! Love it when a book can impact society!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love young adult contempory fiction. They are always such a fast and fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't remember the last time I read a YA novel. I like that this author is talking about Human Trafficking. I think it is important for young women to know the risks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like an interesting book - I like young adult fiction :) It's great when a book ties in important story lines, and that this one brings awareness of human trafficking.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like a great book and I would love to read it! I love reading books about women/girls. I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, she's already accomplished so much in her life! Being in my twenties as well, Savannah's totally inspiring me right now to go after and achieve some of my goals I've set for myself. Loved reading her bio!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great background for the writer. I love her ambition, hope for great success for her.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds like a good read. I like the focus on relationships and friendships for young women.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love reading YA books. So this sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like a lovely novel! All the luck in the world to this author! :)

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.