Sunday, January 3, 2016

Author Spotlight: Anthony Mirarchi


Author Spotlight
In this weeks Author Spotlight, I interviewed Anthony Mirarchi, author of, Cristo's Chronicles, a middle-grade prehistorical adventure.

Tell us about you and your book.
I am a retired businessman who lives in Western Pennsylvania, north of Pittsburgh. I began writing more than fifteen years ago. I have written two, complete, adult novels, each more than 300 pages and 100,000 plus words. I am a college graduate with a BS in chemistry and an MBA. 
During my working career, I wrote reports, procedures and manuals and I knew I could express myself in writing satisfactorily. After I began some creative writing, I joined a writing club, bought as many writing text books as I could find and subscribed to writing magazines. I attended writing conferences in Chautauqua, New York, Pittsburgh, and Hershey, Pennsylvania.
Cristo's Chronicles is a trilogy, and since the original publication of Book One in print, I have added it as an ebook to amazon. In the last two years, I completed the trilogy on amazon by uploading Book Two The King's Spies in May 0f 2015 and Book Three the King's Emissaries In October 2015.

Cristo, an orphan boy, has grown up in the court of King Adolphus. Lord Allard, the King's wizard, makes Cristo his assistant in a quest to perfect a water clock and use it to set up a calendar. Duke Nextor, the King's unscrupulous rival, and his wizard, Boltair, are also intent on developing a calendar. They have dispatched Grigor, a peasant boy, to spy on Lord Allard's work. The two young boys join together, and the action becomes a race between the two forces to acquire the strategic advantage of a new technology. A particularly tricky feat concerns recording data in a world without counting system or written symbols. Lord Allard's solution to this problem results in developing the earliest tools of timekeeping: a bead calendar for recording the readings of a water clock and a shadow clock, the precursor of a sundial.


What inspired you to write this book?
As I said in my bio, I started out with adult novels, but, after being unsuccessful in getting them published, I decided that my writing lent itself more to a younger audience.  I originally started out to write a nonfiction book about gravity, time, pi, and other science oriented subjects, but this idea started to gel in my mind and I just followed my instincts.

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book?
My favorite character is  Lord Allard and and the least favorite is his nemesis Lord Boltair.

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?
My basis in science led me to write this to draw attention to a young audience that many of our ancestors were very smart people who faced immense challenges to understand nature. My previous two attempts were adult novels in scifi and horror.

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more?
This is not a stand alone. Book Two and Book Three are now complete and available on amazon.
Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself?
I was drawn to writing because, as I said in my bio, I wrote all kinds of professional documents and knew that I had at least the basic skills. My challenge was to learn the intricacies of generating tension, presenting POV in a proper manner, and actually learning how to write dialogue, something I had never done. I don't have a favorite author, but I am drawn mostly to nonfiction, science oriented books.

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel?
I don't have a favorite novel as my reading preference is non-fiction. My favorite book Is "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes.

Have you written other books we should know about?
I have written a scifi time travel novel entitled "Timespanners" and a modern day vampire novel called "Nocturnal Domain."  Both are unpublished.

If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?

Whenever I talk to anyone concerning writing, I always encourage them to do it. Even though I have a published novel, it has not been a literary or economic success. That causes frustration, but I have thoroughly enjoyed all the book signings and the satisfaction of just completing a literary work. The reward is personal.

Where can we find your book?
Amazon

How can we find out more about you?
Twitter: @tonynsa

http://www.amazon.com/Cristos-Chronicles-One-The-Kings-Challenge-ebook/dp/B003VWCJ30


26 comments:

  1. With a house full of voracious young readers, looks like this is a title I need to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great interview! He sounds like a great author - thanks for the intro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never hear of this author, but i learned some interesting things. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting interview! This genre is right up my middle child's alley :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting, great interview! I've never heard of the author or the titled, thanks for the share :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like so much fun! We have been reading a lot of middle grade books with my 1st grader. Going to have to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a fan of sci-fi and fantasy but one tip I could give him which might be affecting sales is the book cover. It looks quite old fashioned and it doesn't stand out enough. The plot however sounds great so I am looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read just about anything and I would love to read this. I love books even more when I get some insight from the person who wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a wonderful book! I love a good prehistorical adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great interview. This is the kind of book my husband would enjoy reading. I will get this for him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a good interviews and it sounds like a book my oldest granddaughter would like. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a good read! I bet my nephew would love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting! I'm going to have to scoop up his book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great interview! I can't wait to check out his book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a great book. I have middle schoolers that would be interested in this one. We'll definitely have to check it out. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My daughter and husband would enjoy this story. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is an interesting interview. Thanks for sharing it. I really love his advice of keep writing and just do it. That' my approach to writing. I hope I get better by doing it on a more regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wonder if my 9 year old would like to read this?

    ReplyDelete
  19. This author is new to me. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great interview! I love learning about new books. I hope to read more in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the way this plot includes wizards and a race to complete a feat. I bet the science and historical aspect appeals to a lot of young readers. I know my 6th graders would be intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooo what a great interview. I really enjoyed getting to know a little bit more about the man behind the books!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm always looking for new books and authors. Thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mirarchi has an interesting background that he can use to his advantage when writing his books. It must be exciting to see characters and plots develop in a trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Interesting. I will look into his books.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like how he encourages people to just write. Wonderful interview you did, like knowing more about authors.

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.