Sunday, January 3, 2016

Author Spotlight: Kindra Sowder



Author Spotlight

In this weeks Author Spotlight, Kindra Sowder, author of “Follow the Ashes”, “Follow the Screams” and "Follow the Bloodshed,"  (books 1, 2 and 3 of the Executioner Trilogy) a dark fantasy trilogy.
  
What are your books about?
The Executioner Trilogy is dark fantasy and is about a woman named Robin and her best friend who are destined to save the world from the mother of all vampires. The trilogy details their journey.

What inspired you to write these books?
The first book I wrote was “Follow the Ashes,” the first book of the Executioner Trilogy. I loved Buffy and Angel, but wanted to create something all my own. I’m not sure exactly what made me want to start writing, but I did, and I have been ever since. Now I have 4 novels out. The last in the Executioner Trilogy, which came out on December 20th. I've published a short story, and another 2 or 3 shorts coming in anthologies.

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?
I have always been drawn to the darker side of humanity, which is what all the genres I write in encompass. I have two psychology degrees that focus on the criminal mind. I even wanted to work with serial killers. I guess that’s why it’s so well written in her point of view.

Can we expect more?
With each of my works you can always expect there to be more than one. I only have one work in progress that will be a stand-alone with no wiggle room for another book.

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself?
I’m not exactly sure what drew me to writing, but I have always had a gift for the written word. I was told by numerous English teachers, and even a creative writing professor in college, that writing was what I was made for. I’ve been doing it for so long now I know I couldn’t stop if I tried. It drives me crazy not to write. Which authors inspired me? This is a long list but I’ll keep it short. Stephen King, Anne Rice, Charlaine Harris, and Laurel K. Hamilton.

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel?
I get asked this quite a lot, and I can honestly say I love way too many books to have a favorite. There is one series that I love right now that I was waiting on pins and needles waiting for the final book, which I just got on Audible. It is the Parasitology series by Mira Grant. Just amazing!

Have you written other books we should know about? 
As stated earlier, I have 4 novels out and a short story with so many more in the works. (all of these can be found on my website or my Amazon author page, here.)

If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?
There will be people out there that tell you your writing will get you nowhere. Don’t listen to them. I had heard it multiple times and look where I am now. Also, write every day. It may be crap, it may be amazing, but never stop. My last bit of advice. Read!

Where can we find your books?

Where can we find out more about you?
Twitter: @KindraKinnaman


16 comments:

  1. This is an awesome interview. I like her style and want to check out her books after reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this genre and will definitely have to get this on my kindle! I'm also doing a Book Bingo this year so will be adding this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like the kind of books I read when I was a teen. I have over 1k books and over half of them were fantasy including the supernatural which I loved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This trilogy sounds wonderful! I love reading about books and seeing other's recommendations. What a great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like this author write some very interesting books. I will definitely check her out.!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting idea for a trilogy! I think fiction writing is so impressive. There is a whole world that she created. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have so many books that I want to read, I need to make more time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds fantastic! I am writing out my to read list for 2016, I am going to have to add this trilogy to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Writing every day definitely takes commitment. That's why not everyone who aspires to be a published author makes it! Great advice on shrugging off negative comments. There would always be someone who disapproves...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I happen to really enjoy all vampire books! Thanks for the recommendation, I will have to check these out

    ReplyDelete
  11. to be able to write you must be able to read. if you love to read, its easier to write. Published authors are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great interview. I like reading fantasy novels. I will check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is definitely an on-trend writer! I love that she follows her life interests in her novels, I bet that passion shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love vampire books! I can't wait to check this one out. I am still making my 2016 book list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The books sound kind of scary so not really my cup of tea but I'm sure they're awesome for those that love books like this! Regardless of the genre I'm always so in awe of authors! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love book recommendations because I keep a list of books I need to read when I have down time. Keep them coming! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.