Sunday, January 17, 2016

Author Spotlight: Lara Fanning



Author Spotlight
In this weeks author spotlight, I meet up with Lara Fanning, author of Red Fox, a Dystopian adventure.

What is your book about?
"In the 1950’s, a Russian scientist began an experiment with one goal in mind - to breed a domesticated variation of the red fox. After ten generations of breeding the adrenaline out of wild foxes, the scientist had created a tame creature named the Silver Fox. Decades later, the Australian government use this knowledge to devise a shocking plan that will end humanity as the world knows it.

When Freya Walker and her family are ordered to attend a town meeting by the ruthless Biocentric government, Freya is certain something horrible will occur. The people of her town are split into four groups of people: A's, B's, C's and D's. Freya is the only one placed into the mysterious B's group and transported to a ring in the bushland where she must survive a fortnight without food, water or weapons with her new companion and fellow B's member, Whilliam Cliff.

As Freya and Whil begin to unravel the truth behind the B's group, fighting for their freedom becomes a key part in overthrowing the Government and putting an end to their heinous plans for humanity." 


What inspired you to write this book?
My little sister, who is striving to be an actress, told me to write a book in which she took the part of the main actor. That gave me the spur to write Red Fox, and the inspiration for Freya. However, the plot idea came from my time working on a dairy farm. Our large herd of dairy cattle were sorted into groups of A’s, B’s, D’s and S’s, and I wondered what would happen should we treat humans in the same manner we treated those animals.

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book?
My favourite character ends up being Kharanshu Delhi, who you meet at the very end of the novel. He is very much like Freya and becomes a symbol of freedom and strength, but also vulnerability later in the series.

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?
I love dystopian, especially because it allows me to express my love for the natural world and the terrible deterioration of it in modern times. I absolutely love writing fantasy too. I call it high fantasy, but it probably isn’t quite at that level yet. Creating totally unique worlds and creatures is just such a fun thing to do, and lets my ridiculously vivid imagination run wild.

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more?
No, Red Fox is the first of a trilogy. It’s sequel titled Red Fox, Silver Fox was released on the 30th November, 2015. And the final book is already written too!

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself?
As a child I was inspired by Elyen Mitchell, the author of Australian The Silver Brumby novels, and her ability to turn a story about wild horses into something beautiful and fantastic. After reading her novels, I began writing my own short (and terrible) stories about horses and wildlife, and over the years my writing has began to encapsulate my other passions.
 
My main inspiration is Phillip Pullman, who wrote The Golden Compass trilogy. I think he has a fantastic blend of content for both children and adults.

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel?
The Golden Compass trilogy by Phillip Pullman. It has always been my absolute favourite novel and I’ve read it far too many times.

Have you written other books we should know about?
I have written dozens of other books, but none that I have yet deemed worthy for publication. There are several books that are well on their way to being published. To protect the original stories, I won’t yet say what they are about, but they are titled:

Wild Rain – Fiction adventure for young adults. There is a very ‘slice of life’ feeling to this book.

The World In The Stars – A high fantasy/ adventure trilogy.

Both Wild Rain and The WITS series are like Red Fox: Emotional, adventurous, lots of action and fast paced.

If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?

Listen to your critics and your reviewers, no matter what they say! If they give you good feedback then that is fantastic. However if someone can’t finish your book (when it’s published or in the BETA stage) then there is something wrong with the novel and it needs to be fixed. Heeding the advice of these people will make you a better writer and show you what your targeted audience desire. Of course, always take criticism with a grain of salt. Just because someone reads books does not make them an author or a professional critic, nor will they have the same style or ideas as you. But the last thing you want to do is publish a book and it be slammed in reviews because you’ve never properly considered what others have said about your novel.

Where can we find your book?
 Amazon

Where can we find out more about you?
 Facebook





24 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting read that would keep my attention. I love that book 2 and 3 are already written so the next installment is lined right up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so interesting she has written so many others she doesn't think are worthy for publication; I would be curious to read those too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like it may be very suspenseful. It may be a book that could hold attention :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my kind of book. It reminds me of a cross between sci-fi and dystopian novels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting! I love dystopian novels, so I will hae to check this one out. I love the thought process behind the categorizing humans into A's, B's etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great book. Dystopian novels seem to be all the rage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dystopia novels are always fun reads. Definitely sounds like an interesting concept.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a good read, one of these days I will have time to sit down and actually read & when I do .

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like an great read. I absolutely love dystopian books, I will have to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dystopian stories continue to captivate young and old and this sounds like a book fans of that genre would love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds good and something different I love to read !! Laci

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great interview. Her book sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a long time avid reader I think it's so cool that you have met so many authors. I bet the conversations are very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting! This sounds like a good read. I will have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh neat! This sounds like such a great read! I'm definitely going to be checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love a good suspense story and this sounds right up my alley! My reading list for the year keeps getting longer and longer!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love a good suspense story and this sounds right up my alley. My reading list for this year keeps getting longer and longer!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This one is right up my alley. I love reading suspense stories. I am adding this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh! Dystopian novels are my favorite. I will definitely look this up and get my hands on this book!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the introduction to another great author. I cant' wait to check out this book

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would like to put this on my books to read. It looks like a great one and a wonderful interview

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds like such a different book. I was fascinated to read how the idea came to you from your work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This book sounds fantastic! I love dystopian! I think it is great to find out the why behind the book as well. Great highlight of the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This book sounds really interesting. I love dystopian literature!

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.