Sunday, January 31, 2016

Author Spotlight: Liz Riley Jones


Author Spotlight
In this authors spotlight, I meet up with Liz Riley Jones, to discuss Hiraeth a Mark - Marc, book one of her contemporary Celtic-fantasy noir trilogy.

What is your book about?
The Hiraeth trilogy is a contemporary and brutal love story/adventure fantasy.
Set in modern day Wales and Ireland, the Hiraeth story explores Celtic myth, legend, identity, and language through the adventures of Mona Jones - a young woman who finds herself on the wrong side of a Druidic civil war.
 
What inspired you to write this book?
An interest in all things Celtic, in particular the continuing struggle of the Welsh language to survive. Together with an urge to create a powerful but realistic and relatable female protagonist.
Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book?
Favourite character in series - Mona Jones
Least favourite series - Nuala

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?
The willing suspension of disbelief implicit in all Fantasy, allows great freedom of ideas and has enabled me to carry the themes and characters into a contemporary adventure. 

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more? 
The Hiraeth trilogy is now complete and available from Amazon

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself? 
Patrick Rothfuss
 
Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel? 
Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss (at the moment!)

Have you written other books we should know about?

If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?Seek as much advice as possible. Be brave enough to accept it and brutal enough to make necessary changes.

Where can we find your book?
Where can we find out more about you?




23 comments:

  1. A great trilogy. I couldn't put them down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SHe sounds like a great writer. I can't wait to check out some of her stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like just the kinds of books I am into! Will have to see if I can pick up the first one. I have an entire weekend with nothing to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an interesting author. I'll have to check her out

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sounds like a fantastic original writer. What made you interested in interviewing other authors?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder how these authors get into writing the topics that they do. I have always wondered if they always know or just stumble into it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not sure I have ever read celtic fantasy before. I will have to give it a shot with this series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great interview. She sounds like an amazing author. I will add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love "the willing suspension of disbelief". It's a wonderful inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. my most favorite part in your reviews is the authors' inspirations!
    http://siniciliya.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh. I love fantasy books this sounds like an amazing trilogy. Bookmarking this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never read anything from this author but it sure sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete
  13. The book sounds interesting, with the mix of Celtic myth, and language. It's always nice to know author who deliveres unique story in their book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not sure that Ive ever read Celtic fantasy....sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never heard of her and her books. I don't particularly read those kind of books so that may be another reason why. I'll have to check them out and see.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This series sounds right up my alley! I love fantasy, and the Druidic Civil War sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. She should like a great author and, this books sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How interesting! I could see this being a really good read!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like an interesting book, I love the reasoning behind pursuing this type of story.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These sound great! I love anyone that can try and tackle welsh and Celtic fantasy! You should check out Tamora pierce!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great interview. This looks like an interesting series.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I bet this is a great series of books!

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.