Sunday, February 28, 2016

Author Spotlight: Susan Keefe





In this weeks author spotlight, I meet up with the amazing Susan Keefe, author of, Toby’s Tails – The Christmas Kittens, a beautiful children’s book that donates a percentage of sales to a local animal rescue centre. 

What is your book about?
 It is about three kittens who were rescued. The story is of their first six months leading up to, and including their first Christmas.

What inspired you to write this book?  
My husband and I did rescue the three kittens a year ago, they were such characters. We took hundreds of photos of them. We knew of a local animal rescue centre, Helianthus, and decided it would be nice to give a percentage of the profit of each book sold to them. The rescue centre were delighted and I had the book translated into French and Spanish as well to help sales. The Toby’s Tails series of books are written to educate children about pet ownership, how to treat animals, and how to look after them. All the stories are told through the eyes of our Border Collie, Toby, and he has a father like role in caring for the kittens in this story.

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book?  
The three kittens are equally the stars and there are many adorable pictures of them, including one of the three up in the decorated Christmas tree. There are not really any unfriendly characters in the book.

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre? 
I was lucky enough to have an idyllic childhood in the Essex, UK, countryside with parents and grandparents who encouraged my love of all animals both wild and tame. In 2006 my husband and I moved to a smallholding in France. When one of our Golden Retrievers died, we went to a farm to get a goat mated, as you do, and ended up in buying Toby our Border Collie, who was peering through the fence when we arrived. He was a very cute puppy only six weeks old. Lucky the old retriever, who features as Toby’s mentor in the first book Toby’s Tails was too old to go for walks but as soon as Toby was big enough we formed a tight bond, and he is a delightful companion, always at my side. One day I sat down and wrote Toby’s Tails (Book 1 in the series) about his first year and since then the books have just flowed. I do not write in any other genre.

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more?  
This is the fifth book in the series. Book 6 is just released and can be found on Amazon. It's titled Toby's Tails - Saying Goodbye to Lucky. I have plenty of others waiting patiently to be published in my mind. Toby, and the animals here at Fantasy Farm are such an inspiration.

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself? 
Just living here in the peaceful French countryside and having Toby, and the other animals both wild and tame around us is an inspiration. Every day there is something new to write about. The expat writer Susie Kelly has been a great support and inspiration to me.

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel? 
It has to be Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë. I have loved this story since I was a teenager and still have my very tatty original book. I have seen versions of it on film, and at various theatres. I don’t normally go for romances but this book will be my favourite forever.

Have you written other books we should know about? 
Yes there are four other books already published in the series, they are available in paperback and Kindle format from all Amazon sites worldwide:
Toby’s Tails (volume1 ) - Free on Kindle unlimited
Toby’s Tails –Still Wagging - Free on Kindle unlimited
Toby’s Tails –The Chicken Patrol - Free on Kindle Unlimited

If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?
It would have to be write about what you know. It is so easy to write if you are happy in your subject, the words just flow.



Where can we find your book?


Where can we find out more about you?
 
Twitter @SusanKeefe4






42 comments:

  1. Ok - I'm sold on this book. As soon as I read kittens, I was all about it. Thanks for showcasing books! I never have the time to research so this is helpful. And kittens! Love.
    Karen | GlamKaren.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like such a sweet story and I bet my 2 youngest daughters would love it! Bravo on rescuing 3 cats, that's a fabulous thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, that sounds like a great book. I definitely want to get a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe. That's great you rescued three kittens. All my kittens have come from shelters. We now have three cats that we adore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of this Author but this looks like it would be such a sweet story. I would love to get my hands on one of those books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a sweet post. My parent's dog is named Toby (Tobias). It's amazing how much pets can change our lives. They're so entertaining, too. I've always believed in helping animals have a better life. We adopted our pup from a family member who just couldn't "deal" with him anymore.

    And yet, he's been a great addition to our little family.

    Yay for rescues and adoptees!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the reasoning for writing this book! Kittens definitely have so much personality! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kittens? I'm in. All of our pets are rescued, and they are such an important part of our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a very sweet story. I really love pets especially kittens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this sounds like such a great children's book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw I love the proceeds go to charity we need more people like her and I hope that her book does well. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've ever heard of Toby Tails, but it looks like I should check them out for my kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love products that give back. This is a great example of that! This would be a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so sweet that she donates some of the money to a local animal shelter. I worked in rescue for the longest time and it's always so helpful to get any donations possible.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pilot of this story sounds so heartwarming. Cute kittens and all their antics would be fun to read about. Love that it starts with a rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds absolutely adorable! Totally something my little sister would just adore! Super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You alway have the most interesting sporlights. Sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how you bring different genre of authors. This book though is sound interesting.Love the reason how the book was written.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your author spotlights! What a fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jane Eyre is one of my favorites as well! I am always on the lookout for great Christmas books, and I will have to add this one to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Author interviews are so interesting. I enjoyed the type of questions you asked and the way you presented them. Very well done! Responses largely depend upon the mannerism of questions.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awwwwwww I've never heard of this author but from the sounds of it I was missing out. I will have to check out some of her books!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it when an author donates some proceeds to pet charities. Thanks for introducing me to this book and author!

    ReplyDelete
  24. For some reason I find this book so cute! I am one of those cat lovers who would look through children's books with cats in a book shop.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aw a very important subject! So sweet xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like that advice about writing you know and love. Makes total sense. I have been wanting to rescue a dog, but my husband doesn't want to go that route.

    ReplyDelete
  27. SO true about writing about what one knows - and the kittens are cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This sounds like a great book! Also, what a great segment you have on your blog and a way for local authors to get noticed :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just finished a book and was looking for another one. I will have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love to read and definitely want to check out this book. I really liked getting to know an author I hadn't heard of before!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is adorable. I love a happy ending for little animals in need.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this- so unique in genre and unlike anything I've seen yet. I definitely would be interested in checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  33. AW! This sounds so cute! I would read it and my kids would probably steal it from me to read it also.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sounds like a cute book. My kids would really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am a fan of pets and the story plot seems nice. I want to read this

    ReplyDelete
  36. I think I was sold on this book when you said they donate to animal shelters! I love when people take the time to do good for others. And I have a weakness for animal shelters!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Coming from someone who works in the animal rescue and welfare field, I love that there is such a light in the media (books, TV, movies) about the wonderful stories of rescue pets. Just because they come from a rescue doesn't mean they are "used" or "broken", which, shockingly, some people think.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a heartwarming story and interview. I was delighted to read that the story is based in her three rescued cats!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is such an interesting topic for a book. Definitely unique, and the author sounds like such a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is very inspirational story, the author has a good personalities.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is such a great idea and I love that they are sharing some of the profits with the rescue centre! So sweet, I hope it does well

    ReplyDelete
  42. It seems to be a cute story. Would like to get a copy of it.

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.