Sunday, March 6, 2016

Author Spotlight: Carol Kauffman


In this weeks author spotlight, I meet up with the amazing Carol Ann Kauffman, author of Sea Witch, a Romantic Sci-fi/Fantasy

What is your book about? 

Dr. Laura Martin, Chief Extraterrestrial Life Scientist at The Touchstone Institute of Oceanographic Research, noticed troubling but subtle changes in the Atlantic Ocean. Before she could make sense of it all, her longtime assistant abruptly walked out. Laura hired young, handsome Scott Conner to be her personal assistant. Mayhem ensued, mainly because of Zara, the mermaid/siren/monster in the basement of the Touchstone Institute, who eyed on Scott as her possible mate in a plot for total domination of planet Earth.

“The Touchstone Institute of Oceanographic Research is the most fantastic, exhilarating place on the planet to work. It is high energy, exciting, sometimes maddening, often frightening, heart pounding work. It’s not a job. It’s a lifetime commitment. It gets in your blood. It grabs you by the throat and possesses you, body and soul. And it is work. If you’re not prepared to work your ass off day in and day out, weekends, holidays, your birthday, and your mamma’s birthday, leave now.”

Note: Sea Witch is a Finalist in the Authors db 2015 Cover Contest. The beautiful cover is the work of my fabulous cover artist Beth Maddox of Cover It Up Designs.


What inspired you to write this book? 
I have always thought mermaids had a dark side. I wanted to show something to contrast Ariel and Madison from Splash.

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book? 
My favorite character is Dr. Scott Conner, Laura’s love interest and a man who will stop at nothing to save the woman he loves.
Least favorite to write was the military head of the operation, Major Torres. He had an untrustworthy flavor to him.

What draws you to this genre? 
I love Sci-fi. It is my favorite kind of movie. from Star Wars to Star Trek, and all those little ones in between. Babylon 5, The Martian, etc. Just saw a new one on Netflix called The 100. Good storyline.

Do you write in any other genre? 
Why, yes, I do! My first books were Romance that evolved into Women’s Adventure.  I write Christmas stories that are Romance, Family, and Murder Mystery.

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more? 
It was supposed to be stand-alone. But I’ve been asked to write the sequel.

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? 
 My mother lost her sight when I was very young.  It wasn’t pleasant. I was alone with her when I wasn’t in school. I started to write just to get things out of me. It was private. I could write what I dare not say. It was therapy.
Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself? I love M.C. Beaton of the Agatha Raisin and Hamish MacBeth fame. She was and is my inspiration.
Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel? Angels and Demons by Dam Brown. I have been to those places in Italy and it seemed so incredibly real to me.

Have you written other books we should know about? 


If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?
Don’t give up. Don’t let people who never stretched themselves to accomplish something so vast and scary intimidate you into quitting. Glean what is pertinent from criticism, then step over the rest of it and keep going.


Where can we find your book?

Amazon - free on kindle unlimited

Where can we find out more about you?
 
Twitter @Cay47


39 comments:

  1. Thank you, TP, for the opportunity to connect with your readers.
    Hugs,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is totally my kind of book! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I normally don't read books like this but I am definitely intregiued going to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh - the dark side of mermaids! Never heard anyone mention that view about mermaids! Usually they are always fun and happy...this will be cool to check out!
    Karen | GlamKaren.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like an interesting read! I am always on a look out for books that aren't mainstream and this looks like a perfect addition to our library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting concept - a mermaid with a dark side! I love the author's advice to avoid letting people intimidate you into quitting. That's so important on the road to success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the concept of a sea witch and it reminds me of the Brother Grimm's tales which are grotesque but superb in its Gothic sensibility. I am sorry to hear about your mother but you are right writing is therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always loved mermaids. When I was in elementary school I swear every little girl tried to sing like Ariel. I love the idea of giving the mermaids a dark twist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love the contrast between the bright and dark with the mermaid Ariel as a huge influence - sounds like a great read'

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the story of how she was inspired to write and used what must have been a difficult situation to unleash her creativity. Good for her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I need to find this book... I like all the scifi series that she does.... and I must admit, the dark mermaid idea intrigues me :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a really cool book! How interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The author is so creative! The books seems to be interesting so I am adding it to my "to read" books

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just read another book based under the ocean and now I want to read more! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like an interesting read. This is a wonderful choice for an author spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This book intregiued me especially because the story involved mermaid. Mermaid herself is a mystery, with the bright and dark side around her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is an interesting take on a mermaid. So may people already have a fascination with them so the twist of one on the dark side is good

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always love hearing of new books to read! And I love the idea of showcasing mermaids darker side. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am not huge on sci fi but I love her advice of never giving up and not letting others define you just because they are afraid of getting out of their comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would LOVE to do research in the ocean. She seems very confident in her authoring and I don't blame her! She seems very good at what she does. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds like a really interesting book! I love mermaids.

    Southern Soul

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd love to be featured by you when I publish one day :) your survey method is unique and it brings out the best in each author/artist/writer. Makes them want to share their inspiration and motivation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, just give me a shout when it's out... hey that rhymes :)

      Delete
  23. A story of a mermaid in an Ocean Research center sounds intriguing. I love the sea and all the hidden secret mysteries of the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great interview. Who knew mermaids could have a dark side?! I'm fascinated with fantasy. They always make for a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks like a great read! I am not surprised the cover is nominated for Authors db 2015 Cover Contest, it is stunning! Her advice to aspiring authors is so true, never give up!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds like an interesting series. I like this author and how she started writing. Writing can be therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This sounds like an interesting read. One of my favorite tales is Ariel from Disney, even though it was originally a dark tale. Mermaid folklore has always fascinated me.

    ReplyDelete
  28. A mermaid with a dark side? Now, that's a novel idea! Sounds like an interesting read! I liked learning about the author. I enjoyed Angels and Demons a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sci-fi is probably one of my favorite genres. This sounds like it could be a really fantastic read! I'm a big Star Wars and Trek fan too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sci-fi has always been a genre that I've had a fascination with. To put a mermaid in a book like this should be intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love reading books and this looks like an interesting read!! I love mermaids.

    ReplyDelete
  32. cool cover - 'minds me of that Daryl Hannah movie "Splash" :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow I am totally geeked to read this book I was thinking of Splash also as I read this

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for sharing. I think it's great that you spotlight authors sometimes it's difficult for authors to be heard even if their writing is phenomenal. I'm typically a self help book reader but this one sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  35. So glad to know this, it looks interesting book. I do love mermaids and it seems it has a content fact.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Carol is an amazing author!! I love her books! @v@ <3

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.