Sunday, March 20, 2016

Author Spotlight: Claire L Brown



In this weeks Author Spotlight, I meet up with the very talented Claire L Brown, author of, Jonah Axe and the Weeping Bride, a fantasy, mystery, and thriller.

What is your book about?
What if you could change a moment in time?  What impact would it have on you, on the world around you now and in the future? Jonah Axe is the head of the Apollo Programme. His team is tasked with travelling in time and changing moments to have immediate or long-term impacts. After the death of his two protégées, Jonah is recruiting a new team, made up of an archaeologist, a soldier, and a time slippers’s daughter. Assisted by the help of a young computer genius and his creation, the work to alter time to achieve the goals of their over seer, Apollo.

What inspired you to write this book?
There are moments in everyone’s life where they wonder what they would have happened if they’d said yes instead or no or turned left instead of right.  I wondered if I was allowed to change a moment, what would the ripples be? Would they be good or bad, would I be able to live with the choices I’d made?

Who is your favorite, and least favorite, character in the book?
My Favorites are they Apollo Team, Noelle, Henry, and Harper. They have such a strange and powerful dynamic. They are each intriguing in their own right and together they have a lot of drama, conflict, love, and history to deal with. My least favorite would be Grayson. He’s the anti-hero; the man you love to hate.  

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?
I write the story that comes to mind; it’s like seeing a movie in my head. So if I have a fantasy film playing in my mind, I write that.  I don’t stick to one genre. I find it challenging to try and write an interesting story without always being in the comfort zone of a genre convention.  

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more?
This is the first in an open-ended series; I’m just going to see where the characters take me and how they develop that will dictate how many novels are in the series. 

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself?
I’ve always been a writer, even before I knew how to put pen to paper.  I have a very over active imagination and spent a lot of my childhood alone so I would write the stories I wanted to read.  Writing allowed me to escape from my own life and create a world where I wanted to exist
I love Jane Austen, especially Pride and Prejudice, North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell, any Shakespeare plays, The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Lerox,

Other than your own book, what is your favorite novel?
I love Pride and Prejudice, Phantom of the Opera and Henry V

Have you written other books we should know about?
Jonah Axe is my second release my first is a mythology/fantasy - The Draco Chronicles, Homecoming. 

If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?
Write everything that comes to mind, never stop writing, dreaming and imagining, no matter how long it takes. There are many distractions in life, don’t get bogged down, find the things that inspire you the most and follow your star.  

Where can we find your book?


Where can we find out more about you? 
Twitter @CLB_Draco 



47 comments:

  1. She sounds like a fantastic writer. I want to check out some of her work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting topic, very Time Cop and Sliding Doors! I always wonder about things like that too, what changing one action can do to other events in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More books I want to read and haven't heard of!! the list is getting longer now with your author in the spotlight series!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very interesting! Great support for authors!
    http://www.spaghettiandmashedpotatoes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never stop writing! Such sound and solid advice. I love reading your interview recaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane Austen is a favorite of mine as well as my friend's. We both grew up together and decided to get the same degree at the same college but due to different authors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh yes I heartily approve both of her genre and what genres she favours as reading material. Phantom of the Opera is a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this premise. I think we all think about what would have happened if we had said yes or no at one point or another!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She sounds like a great writer!! My mom is in a book club and I will mention this book to her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love interview posts, thanks so much for sharing this. The book sounds pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. I haven't heard of this Author before so thank you for making me aware of her.

    Ami xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to check this book out! Seems like such an interesting writer from your interview. So glad you were able to experience that. It's got a great price for Kindle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love time travel books so this sounds really interesting! I like the advice given for budding authors, never stop writing is important!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could totally see my husband and I reading this together. He's a huge bookworm, and I'm just getting into reading. Just have to find the right book. This may be it. I see it's for the Kindle and paperback, but is it available on audio?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Kirstin,
      Currently I don't have this one in audio but it's something that's in the pipeline for the future.
      Thanks
      Claire L Brown

      Delete
  15. They say "no regrets" but I wish I could go back in time sometimes but fear how it would affect other decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always think time travel stories are so interesting! I think I'll add this one to my "to-read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. She is right - we must never stop dreaming - about anything - otherwise we give up in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never stop dreaming...those are words that I need to scribble on the back of every door in our house! I love reading your interviews with authors. I always find someone new to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish I had more time to read fictional books. I need a little get away in my head sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the inspiration behind the book. I wondered once if I could change a moment in my life what would it be.... I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't change a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great and interesting interview. Never stop is good advice for anything you're passionate about.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like an interesting books to read. I actually need a new book or new stories right now to make myself a little bit busy. Maybe i should try this!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like an interesting book. It reminds me of a tv series where the main character would go back in time to re-live moments from her past and learn from them. This book is SF though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'll check out her work! Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing this! I love books in general but especially science fiction and fantasy, I was raised on them by an eccentric father.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for this interesting post , I don't get the chance to read a lot , but when I do , I love to read some good stuff . Will certainly check out on her !

    ReplyDelete
  27. This sounds like my kind of book. It seems that jumping through time is popular right now!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great interview, this sounds like an interesting book. I too have often wondered about what the consequences would be if I could change a moment in my life, and I love reading other people's ideas on this scenario. This one is particularly creative.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Being an author sounds like so much fun! I imagine she has a big imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like what inspired her to write that kind of book. This book is another new kid in the block... romantic novels are so cliche now.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oooo this sounds like a fantastic read!!! I will have to check it out since I do need a new book to read!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This book sounds really interesting. Off to add it to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  33. love the last piece of advice about writing whatever comes to mind ! never stop dreaming and imagining <3

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a lovely interview and I love that she saw herself as a writer and writing from an early age.

    ReplyDelete
  35. never Stop Writing and keep sharing value content and one day just doing what you always do, the universe will open a wide door for you...!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great read...I am always curious where authors get their inspiration :D

    ReplyDelete
  37. sounds like a very interesting read! great review!
    suchi

    ReplyDelete
  38. Sounds like a good book to read. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This book sounds like something that I would love to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This book sounds really interesting. It's awesome that you got to interview the author.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks to all for reading my Interview, thanks to T P Keane for hosting me. I would love to hear any feedback any one has - just drop me a line and if you like this novel I hope you'll look out for the follow up Jonah Axe and The Siren's Call which is based on a Fire Fighter theme hopefully out next year.
    Thanks again
    Claire L Brown

    ReplyDelete
  42. How exciting to be able to interview the author! sounds like a great read x

    ReplyDelete
  43. I also have wondered what it would be like to change a moment where I said yes into a no or reverse.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I have read this authors works and would recommend trying them out yourself

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.