Sunday, March 13, 2016

Author Spotlight: CV Dreesman



In this weeks author spotlight I catch up with the very talented, C.V. Dreesman, author of Cursefell, a YA Paranormal Fantasy.

What is your book about?
YA Paranormal Fantasy with a healthy dose of mythology and mystery thrown in for good measure, maybe even a pinch of romanticism.

One year ago I lost my father in a tragic accident.  At least that's what my mother called it.  But I couldn't believe it was an accident.  I thought it had to be something else, some other reason behind the dimming of such a warm and shinning light in my life besides chance.  Or maybe that is what I needed to think to get through the sudden move to Stonecrest and to hold onto the memories my mother so easily discarded.

If only I had let it go.  There would have been no story to tell except how I survived high school.  I could have still written my own happy ending.  All that changed when I was attacked during a boating accident by a sea creature for a secret I did not even know I carried.  As I lay dying, my father came to me in a vision and warned me to open my eyes and see.  Well I did and I am hunted now by centuries old legends, monsters born from stories etched in stone and fairy tales, who fear my family's legacy.  My blood is cursed and all that is beautiful in my life will crumble unless I can balance who I am versus what I will become. 

My name is Thera Currey.  I am neither the legend of my ancestor nor the myth that inspired it, but what you find when you dare to look truth in the eye.

What inspired you to write this book?
I always liked the idea of mythology and magic in the modern world, but never could work out what a story like that would look like in my writing.  Then, after binge watching some television and catching up on some reading, I began to hear a few characters bubble to the surface.  The idea of 'who am I' and 'what am I' kept nagging at me for the main character.  Then my spouse gave me an answer to a simple question and everything mostly fell into place.

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book?
Part of the fun of reading a story is discovering the unknown and riding along with the characters, and each character at parts are my favorite.  I will say that all of the characters surprised me with their choices and voices throughout the novel.  Many of them ended up giving me an honest laugh or gasp when they insisted upon saying certain quips and taking unexpected actions.  And it only becomes more apparent that 'most and least' do not easily apply to the living, breathing complicated characters that continue to reveal themselves in the sequels.  That being said, I love hearing and discussing what every fan response is to this question is after they have read Cursefell.

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?
I think Young Adult is really a misnomer as this genre obviously has readers of all ages, but what I think Young Adult means is that you have a story that is free to be imaginative and immensely creative and rule breaking in the best sense of the word.  So I was drawn to write something that, to quote one reviewer, "is one of the most original, unique stories I've ever read".  This genre allows you to do that and as a writer or a fan, you just never know what to expect.  I do write in other genres, including Epic Fantasy and Literary Fiction, both of which are satisfying in their own ways.

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more?
Cursefell is the first book in my new series.  I am currently working on books two and three amidst spreading the word on this one.  So far I imagine there will be somewhere between three to six books in total to really explore this world and reveal all the secrets it holds.

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself?
You know my mother used to tell my brother and I these great bedtime stories when we were just wee ones.  She would just make them up on the spot and they were amazingly creative and fantastical, so I think that played a big part in my ability to imagine and detail the stories I write.   Then my fifth grade teacher offered extra credit to anyone who wanted to write and submit or read their stories to the class.  You could say that class and teacher became my first beta-reader experience.  About the same time I discovered J.R.R. Tolkien, who is perhaps the first and most important author that inspired me to write and really think about having my stories published.  Most recently the authors that have inspired me to pick up the pen and strive to be creative and unique in my writing have been Suzanne Collins, Veronica Roth, and Cassandra Clare, among many others.  A few fans have mentioned that Cursefell is slightly reminiscent of the tone and feel of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson books ("pretty much level pegging with them" a book blogger wrote) and the Vampire Diaries series, for which I am grateful and truly humbled by the comparisons.

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel?
The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien, hands down.

Have you written other books we should know about?
I have also written The Marksmith, an epic fantasy novel.

If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?
Believe.  In yourself, in your voice, in the value of what you and others have to say.


Where can we find your book?

Where can we find out more about you?

 


38 comments:

  1. That sounds like an awesome read. This is just the type of book I like :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Masshole Mommy! I would love to hear what you think and discuss it :)

      Delete
  2. I've read a few YA novels lately that I've really enjoyed! I agree, YA can be a misnomer and even those outside that age group would like many of the titles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many good books go unread because of the label system being used. Hopefully that will change with more successes and word of mouth on social media spread by readers and fans and bloggers like TP Keane :) Cursefell would be a good starting point for this btw...just saying ;)

      Delete
  3. Love your review of this "mythology" type of book! Interesting that she used her questioning of who a character is to form this framework of the story!
    Karen | GlamKaren.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy fantasy novels so Cursefell may be something I look into. It's in the range of YA which I really enjoy reading. Thanks for your perspective/review on this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love hearing about the creative process. It always sneaks up on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is 14 year old me right down to a T I was obsessed with the paranormal and fantasy genre! I love the sound of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on the book series!

    I'm a mystery novel fan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These kinds of books scare the crap out of me!! But I can't put them down! LOL!! I haven't heard of this author so I am going to have to do a little more digging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually really enjoy YA books from time to time. I love the last answer about advice for aspiring writers :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how the author was inspired to write because of bedtime stories. We do lots of stories with our kids and it's cool to see how that might inspire them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't usually read YA novels, but this books sounds so intriguing. I like a bit of mysticism and history in the books I read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read many YA books. My daughter and I have read many series together. My son too with a few of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book looks right up my street! and I am in need of something to get into after the last series I read - off to check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The book sounds great. I love a mix mythology and mystery. Probably why I tend to gravitate toward crime shows and things like Grimm :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like such a great read. I love reading anything paranormal so would be perfect for me :) thanks! Great interview to!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like an interesting read. I love books that included paranormal things.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh this sounds like such a fun book! I love the paranormal/fantasy genre. It always holds my interest. I will have to look into this one! I'm always looking for new books to add to my ever growing book list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooooo now this sounds like my kinda book!!! I need a new one super bad so I might just have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't read a lot of YA but I do love paranormal books. This sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like a good book. I like YA books a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a fascinating sounding story! a little bit of mystery mixed in with some truth telling for all of the fans

    ReplyDelete
  22. My students love stories based in myths. Sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am a huge fan of YA books and this sounds like one i need to add to my must read for 2016 list.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am always fascinated by the creative process. Especially those surrounding fantasy and myth storylines.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like an intriguing book!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I appreciate the advice at the end - we all have to believe - whether in ourselves - or in a power greater than us (in my case, it would be God... :D)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't really enjoy paranormal stories like these. I have too active an imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this genre and was instantly drawn into this book. I love a new series too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This sounds like a great read! I love books where mythology is brought to the modern world. I'll have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am such a chicken when it comes to reading! I scare easy! This book is a little scary, Yet I want to read more! I am going to have to jump in and branch out in my reading

    ReplyDelete
  31. This sounds like an interesting book. I wish I had some more time to read.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I didn't know YA had a paranomal fantasy genre! I bet it is a popular one since I remember LOVING that topic when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I don't know what a YA book is. But based on the theme I read in the first paragraph, this could be an exciting read for me.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love reading such kind of books and it sounds like a great read!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a synopsis! That gave me chills.

    Be the author of your own story,
    Rebecca Kelsey Sampson

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.