Sunday, March 6, 2016

Author Spotlight: Josef Matulich



This week I meet up with author Josef Matulich, to discuss his fantastic novel, Camp Arcanum, a horror/comedy that will leave you wanting more.

What is your book about? 
“Camp Arcanum” is a horror/comedy about sex, magick, and power tools.
Marc Sindri, prankster and contractor, comes to Arcanum Ohio to build a renaissance faire in only seven months. A man with a reputation for delivering on miracles and a bad history with crazy people who believe in magical conspiracies, he soon finds himself in a small town filled with magick and intrigue. In spite of the recurring pain in the back of his head that reminds him of what happens when pretty girls smile, he gets caught up in a love triangle between Brenwyn, head of the local Wiccan coven, and Jeremiah, her demonologist ex. As Marc tries to meet his impossible deadlines, he navigates a landscape of witches, demons, power tools, and undead skinless bunnies.

What inspired you to write this book?
I used to work in an EPA lab, testing water and sewage samples from municipalities all over Ohio. I kept getting little plastic bottle marked “Arcanum, Darke County” and I would tell myself that something extraordinary must be happening there. After ten years, I started on “Arcanum Faire” as a screenplay. Two-hundred and fifty pages later, I realized I was writing a series of novels. I’m wrapping up the third book and I’m still doing the first draft in screenplay form. It helps with keeping it as a “show don’t tell” document.

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book?
I think Eleazar, the womanizing ren faire performer, is my favorite. He is an absolute loon and a law unto himself. He’s inspired by a close friend. I knew I could never be half as suave and charismatic as he, but I could at least reproduce it on paper.
I like all of my main characters, even Jeremiah Stone, my big bad. The only ones I have no affection for are the pure NPCs like Jeremiah’s Goth hangers-on. Them I beat with a shovel without remorse.

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?
My worldview is generally horror/comedy: events around me are sometimes too horrifying to deal with and the only way to react is with inappropriate humor. Like reading “Bunnicula” to my premature daughter in the NICU and having to speak very loud over the drone of the device filtering and oxygenating the blood of the infant right next to her. 

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more?
This is the first book of the Arcanum Faire trilogy. I have the shadows of other books in this universe in my mind, but nothing specific just yet.

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself?
My father used to commute into New York, over an hour each way on trains and buses. He’d go through at least a paperback a week, everything from Great White Hunter adventures in Africa to Lord of the Rings, and I’d go through them all second hand. He didn’t altogether approve of my pursuing a career as an author, he was an actuary, but he certainly started me on my way with a huge library for inspiration.
One author we both read a lot of in the sixties was Frederic Brown. He’s known to modern genre audiences as the author of the “Arena” episode of Star Trek, but his “Nightmares and Geezenstacks” practically invented horror flash fiction in 1961. When I’m not working on full-length novels or screenplays I am most comfortable with quirky little tales of one-thousand words or less.

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel?
“World War Z” was the book that got me excited about the genre again. It took the obviously ridiculous concept of the reanimated dead and applied callous, hilarious logic to the apocalypse and its aftermath.

Have you written other books we should know about? 
I have the sequel to “Camp Arcanum”, “Power Tools in the Sacred Grove”, released last spring. More sex, more magick, and OSHA’s inspecting the power tools.

If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be? 
Just keep writing. Don’t wait for alpha readers. Don’t wait for five-star reviews. Don’t wait for the check in the mail. Finish something you love. Stop re-writing it. Store it in the mail and start on the next thing.

Where can we find your book?


Where can we find out more about you?
Twitter @JosefMatulich 




34 comments:

  1. My husband would love this book. It sounds right up his alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds fun! I also review books on my blog. This is definitely something I'd enjoy reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like such a good book. Once again, you've picked an author that I know nothing about. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sounds like a great book! i've never read anything in the horror/comedy genre before (ok I didn't know it existed but im intrigued about it)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the inspiration behind this story -- very unique. It sounds like something I would enjoy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great novel. I'm from Ohio and love a good horror novel adding comedy sounds pretty intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am curious do you approach authors or do they approach you I have always wondered. Another great insight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little of column A a little of Column B :)

      Delete
  8. Hey, I'm from Ohio and know where Arcanum is. Little too close, actually LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving all the new books I'm learning about from you lately !! Thx I also screen shot to remember :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not sure I have ever read something that is both a horror and a comedy! It sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good book! I haven't read anything like it before but sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am not a fan of horror but I do find it interesting and a lil creepy that Arcanum is literally like 30 minutes from my house here in Ohio. How wild is that?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a fab book - such a great interview. Totally agree that authors should just keep writing and doing their passion, no matter what reviews and feedback it's getting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am very impressed! I can only imagine the mix of emotions the author was going through when he was writing this book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think I've ever read a horror-comedy book before. Interesting combination.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's such a great tip, and it's important for aspiring writers to hear it from other writers. Getting alpha readers won't happen overnight. Great interview overall, and I'm glad there's a sequel to this book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like his advice for other writers "Just keep writing. Don’t wait for alpha readers. Don’t wait for five-star reviews. Don’t wait for the check in the mail. Finish something you love." This is something I need to remind myself. As for the book, it sound very interesting! I don't really hear much of book which combines horror and comedy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a really interesting book!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Definitely reading this one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. This book sounds very interesting!! I might just have to check it out :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. This book sounds like it would be very interesting. I loved reading the backstory of how this story came to be!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds like a very interesting book. I loved reading the backstory of how the story of this book came to be.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Isn't that crazy how our jobs influence us so much and push us to come up with the neatest of stories?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm glad I found your blog... I'm always on the lookout for new books :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds compelling! Mixing horror and comedy, I think is not that easy but for someone who is passionate in writing, this should be effortless. Glad to have read your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was sold at sex, magick, and power tools! This book sounds like it was made for me! Adding to my wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like the type of book I would enjoy reading! Bookmarking this!

    Dominika
    http://dominika.co

    ReplyDelete
  28. This author has a very colorful background with a lot of experience. I love that he used this knowledge to fuel the writing of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is totally out of my genre of books but sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks like an interesting read to me...adding to my booklist.
    www.r4review.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. A Renaissance faire seems like a great setting for a horror story with a comic twist. You really find some interesting stories and authors!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ooooo this sounds like a fantastic read!!!!! I really need a new book so I might just have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.