Sunday, March 20, 2016

Author Spotlight: Mike Swedenberg



In this weeks Author Spotlight I meet up with the brilliant and skilled, Mike Swedenberg, author of, A New York Wedding, a romantic comedy.

What is your book about?
At age 37, Cindy Edwards hears her biological clock ticking away. She falls for a wise cracking, over the top salesman she met at work. Danny Freedman is 39 and feels time slipping by and wants to settle down. This will be the first trip to the altar for both and to celebrate, the couple plans an extravaganza. What could possibly go wrong?

Set in New York City in 1980, what should have been a simple wedding plan turns into a nightmare of broken promises, dishonest merchants and fast talking wedding vendors. While Danny deals with a Bully Boss at work, his free time is consumed with his bride-to-be’s drama. The wedding is a given, but how will Danny deal with the cascade of events as they spin out of control? Meanwhile Cindy proclaims, “My wedding is ruined.”

What inspired you to write this book?
Real life events when my wife and I were married in New York. The setting is similar to our real life experiences with a few minor changes but most of what happened to us when we planned our wedding is recounted in this novel. A New York Wedding is the second of a series beginning with Bully Boss and will be followed by The Contractor from Hell. 

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book?
Danny Freedman, the protagonist, is my favorite because of his resilience and frequent use of humor to handle difficult situations. Francis Green, the antagonist, is my least favorite. He is the sum total of all of the bad sales managers I worked for during my career.

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?
My first novel Bully Boss is a dark drama that reveals the difficulty in working for a bad manager. It is where Danny met Cindy. My first thought was to have Bully Boss expand into the New York Wedding but I wanted to keep that story light hearted and my writing instructor suggested that I keep the two stories separate.
I also have written some short stories that I wish to expand into novels including a comedy, It was a Dark and Stormy Night, the Absolute Worst Story Ever Told., a drama about the attack on Pearl Harbor, 0750 – 0850 and a crime drama SoHo Suicide. I have also published two Sales Manuals and book on Advertising Copywriting.

Last January, I launched a series of Study Guides to help immigrants prepare for the US Citizenship Exam. It is a bilingual series in 8 languages. They are selling very well and are among the top ten best sellers on Amazon for the category.

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more?
You may expect The Contractor From Hell, sometime next year

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself?
I am, a native of Greenville South Carolina and moved to New York in 1971 to attend the School of Visual Arts where I studied Advertising Concept, Copywriting and Design. I later worked in sales and marketing and spent 30 years in corporate America. I am a graduate of Adelphi University in Garden City New York and have a BS in Business. I’ve studied at the Gotham School of Writing and study oil painting in the Old Dutch Master Style at the Long Island Academy of Fine Art in Glen Cove New York. I teach courses at Nassau Community College on publishing eBooks and in Print for CreateSpace.I still live on Long Island, am married with three children and 4 grandchildren.

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel?
Funny you should ask. Although I write fiction, I prefer history and biographies. My favorite author is Stephen E Ambrose who brought boring historical events to life and engaged the reader. Band of Brothers is one such work. 

Have you written other books we should know about?
All my books can be found under my author profile on Amazon

If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?
My advice is you can’t be self-taught author. You need professional instruction from published authors. You need an expert to point out your mistakes. I have read self-published works that were so bad they made me cringe. I couldn’t make it past the first page. Even if you don’t live near a decent writing school at a University, you can take online courses to improve your skills. Learn from your mistakes and keep writing.

Where can we find your book?

Where can we find out more about you?







27 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome book. I might see if I can grab a copy before my upcoming roadtrip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books that I can relate to where the author draws on real life experiences such as his own. I'd probably pick this up but for now I'm adding this to my list. I still have a bunch of books unread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently read A New York Wedding and I loved it! It was touching, hilarious and kept me engaged from cover to cover. It was a great read and I recommend to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart aches for the couple already! Sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspiring author story. The book sounds like a fun read, and I like that he based it on his own experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that part of the story is about him! Sounds like a great book :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That author is very inspiring! I agree with the commenter who posted that they like when the author draws from personal experience -- it makes everything seem more real! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is definitely my style I am so intregiued !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds really fascinating! I am going to have to pick this one up soon! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a great read. I love inspiring stories like this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like an engaging read from beginning to end. I'd love to add this to my summer reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love romantic books... and the fact that its partly based on a true story sounds interesting! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a really interesting book. I love hearing about different books I've never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a great read. It's interesting that he writes fiction but prefers biographies. I would assume whatever an author writes they would prefer to read the same.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the plot of this book would make a great lifetime movie. I could totally see watching something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am the same I prefer reading different books to the genre I read.I like historical fiction as well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The protagonist sounds like my husband. Always dealing with humor to get through tough situations. It makes life easier for me because a good life makes a lot of things feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. His last point was spot on! As writers, we much take the time to invest in ourselves and learn from others!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A romantic comedy sounds awesome! I don't think I have read one for a while - but they are my favorite movie genre, so I will definitely have to look into this one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like a great read! It'd be an awesome one for a book club!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this sounds like a cute little love story. Perhaps it would be a good basis for a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds like a great love story to read for the people who prefer this genre. Great review as always

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a great story! I lover her reasons for writing the book. I think people often wonder about the what ifs.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This sounds like a good read, and I am also interested in Bully Boss…that sounds like an interesting subject. This author has certainly been busy…writing short stories, longer tales and study guides.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good book reviews take you to a different world altogether by showing you a glimpse of the book and you can get a preview without even reading it! Yours are always like that!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This sounds like a fun read! I am sure that many people that have planned large weddings can relate - as it never seems to go as planned!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very interesting, I'd never heard of this book before - Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.