Sunday, March 13, 2016

Author Spotlight: Rose Titus


In this weeks author spotlight, I meet up with the fantastic, Rose Titus, author of Night Home, a vampire horror/fantasy novella.

What is your novella about?

Muriel is a young woman who inherits a large old house in a small, rural town -- the type of town where it seems nothing interesting will ever happen.  The house belonged to her mysterious and eccentric uncle, a professor, who was supposedly working on some strange research project before he died an untimely violent death.  While exploring the dusty old house, she finds his handwritten research notes, and discovers that her uncle was researching vampires.

What inspired you to write this novella?

Many years ago, while watching one of those popular TV news shows (I forget which), there was a feature where some expert believed that legends of vampires were based on people with illnesses that made them need to avoid sunlight, or made them feel a need to drink blood.  I wondered, if that is so, how were those people treated historically? Our society has never treated those who are considered different very well.  People who are different are often persecuted and demonized.

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the novella?
My favorite character is the vampiress Annasophia.  She is the oldest and wisest.  She has been deeply hurt in her long life, but finds the strength to carry on.

I don’t think I have a “least favorite character,” however.  Even the character that we could consider the “villain” is merely driven by ignorance and fear.  He just naturally assumes he is doing the right thing.

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?

I’ve always loved horror, fantasy, and science fiction, although I don’t like stories with a lot of violence or gore.  Very often, a writer may use fantasy to discuss important issues, such as, how society treats others who are different.  Anyone who is a fan of the genre and reads these types of books often enough will see the theme over and over again.

Is this a standalone novella, or can we expect more?

I am hoping for two more in this series, perhaps more.

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself?

I’ve always loved reading, but before I became a writer, I would often go through a book and say to myself, I could have written this better!  So, I started writing.  Some authors who have inspired me are Fred Saberhagen, Brad Steiger, John Keel, Kathy Tyers…  and way too many more to list.  I love them all!

Other than your own novella, what is your favourite novel?

There are so many books I have loved over the years, wow…  that’s a hard one!  I would mention Fred Saberhagen’s “The Dracula Tape,” which is decades old but still a great book.  But there are so many other books out there that are also favorites of mine.  I also like “The Mothman Prophecies,” by John Keel, but that’s (supposedly) a true story!

Have you written other books we should know about?

I have worked in collaboration with some other wonderful authors to produce the Dare to Shine anthology, due for released on World Goth Day, 22ND MAY 2016, and 100% of its profits will be donated to The Sophie Lancaster Foundation.

Also After Dark (the vampire next door - book 2)

If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?

Proof read your manuscript, and proof read multiple times.  Do not – and I repeat – do not -- let a computer do your proof reading for you!  Do your own spell check and grammar check.  Don’t just spell check a document and send it out.  Read it to yourself over and over again.  Make sure you actually enjoy reading it, also.  If you don’t enjoy reading your own book, maybe other people won’t, either.

Where can we find your novella?

Where can we find out more about you?




34 comments:

  1. Yet another fantastic sounding book. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you; I hope you enjoy reading it.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to have to check this one out! Thanks for the great review! xo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her advice on proofreading the manuscript and not to rely on any automated program. Bad grammar is sometimes what turns me off in reading. Thanks for a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People with all their imperfections will always be better than machines.

      Delete
  4. What a great review! I read when I travel so I'm stocking up on reading material. This sounds like one I'll be taking on my next trip...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you; enjoy the trip and enjoy the book.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful review! I'll have to add this to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a really interesting book. I love vampire stories! I hope that she writes a few more..this sounds like it's a killer series that I would love to sink my teeth into :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you; the 2nd book is available for Kindle & I'm working on No. 3 right now.

      Delete
  7. Wow this sounds fantastic hun! I love reading fantasy novels and it is true vampires I believe is a symbol or a signifier for the 'social other'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what's so good about science fiction & fantasy, we can use it to discuss social problems that we face in real life.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a good read. I love anything with vampires. I miss all the Twilight movies! Thanks for the nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds awesome! I love a good novella, something that is a little quicker to read but still fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A book about vampires? That is so up my alley. I think I would love to read this. Here's another to add to my book reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you; I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

      Delete
  11. Great review for sure. I am going to check this out as I need a new read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love reading your reviews, I think you are doing a fantastic job!
    I am not a fan of vampires and horrors though, I'd rather go for something inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love hearing about books from the authors perspective and what is behind the story. This will definitely be a book I check out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the reason why she wrote this book.Vampire myth has various story. As always, great interview to introudce the authors and their books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree you have to proofread over and over again. So important. Sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vampire/horror stories are right up my alley - I've always been fascinated with them! Will have to look for this book, it was interesting to read about the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you; I hope you enjoy the book. The 2nd book is available for Kindle right now.

      Delete
  17. I love how she said she would get through a book and then point out how she could have done it better. I know that feeling all too well when writing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not sure this is my 'type' of book, but it sounds interesting! I do love hearing from author's perspective too, gives a little added insight into the story!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like an interesting book as I love stories of Vampires.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So true about the spell check. i love to write and sometimes its not the way I want it to sound. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great interview, and I have to agree with the author. Oftentimes we write fictional stories to discuss important issues.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that her ideas were inspired by legends of vampires and how they might have been people with real diseases. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely review and interview. It sounds very intriguing!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This was a really fascinating interview as it gave me more insight on how the author thinks. Even though this is not a genre I go for, I was impressed by what the author shared: that fantasy is used to discuss important issues, such as, how society treats others who are different. Food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooooo what a fantastic interview!!!!! I love hearing about the things that inspire authors and why they write the things they do!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'd like to thank everyone for checking out my novella. The 2nd book "After Dark" is available for Kindle and I'm currently working on No. 3.

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.