Sunday, April 3, 2016

Finn and the Boys, an early reader picture book by Jennifer Gadd



In this weeks Author Spotlight I meed up with the very talented and diverse Jennifer L. Gadd,  and discuss her picture book, Finn and the Boys, illustrated by Adam Clark.

What is your book about?
This picture book was written specifically for emergent readers in kindergarten and first grade. It tells a story about Finn McCool, the Irish hero, when he was a little boy. He just wants the boys to play with him, but they pick on him and won’t let him play.

What inspired you to write this book?
I have a deep interest in Gaelic mythology, and I thought the Finn stories would be great for those earliest readers. I asked my friend Adam to illustrate them because I thought his style would be perfect. (And I was right!)

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book?
Well, there are only Finn and, well, the boys. I’ll go with Finn as the favorite. He’s not a hero yet. He’s just a kid with a problem.

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?
I’m a reading interventionist, so I’m interested in anything that promotes literacy. I also write fantasy and sci-fi for the MG/YA readers.
Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more?
This is the first of three books in the Finn the Hero series. Each book tells a different Finn story from Irish mythology.

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself?
I’m not really sure what drew me to writing. I don’t remember ever not being a writer, at least not once I learned to write. And I don’t know that any particular writer inspired me to become a writer. Writers such as Agatha Christie and Anne Perry were great coaches in creating a rich, detailed settings in which the reader can be immersed. Hemingway is a great teacher, encouraging economy of words and cutting to the chase. That’s how it works. Authors I’ve read inspire facets of my writing.

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel?
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I mean, seriously. Not one word wasted anywhere in that novel.

Have you written other books we should know about?

If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?
Read, read, read. Write, write, write. Read everything. Read good stuff. Read garbage. Read it all. And then write. Write all the time. Write everywhere. Write every day.

Where can we find your book?
Amazon

Where can we find out more about your book?
Website
Facebook
Wordpress
Tumblr
Twitter @fionnabhar

 
 

32 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lovely book for the littles. I have some young nieces and nephews who would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are just the right age for this book! And we have a great interest in Gaelic mythology. We love our copy of Great Irish Legends for Children and always on the lookout for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with her book choice -- The Great Gatsby is SUCH a classic. I remember reading it in high school and being so annoyed at all the hypothetical banter, but now that I've read it again as an adult, I appreciate it SO much :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting book for emergent readers! Love how you showcase such a variety of books in your blog to appeal to everyone!
    Karen | GlamKaren.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love new books for children. It's important to deliver great messages along with pictures and I think this book has those elements.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. What a great way to combine practical lessons and fun. My kids are just the right age for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun choice of a book to review. And totally agree with her advice to improve writing: write write write and read read read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorite characters of all time is Ponyboy from The Outsiders. He is such a pure and innocent character and so relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the perfect 1st grader to share this book with! It sounds like Finn Mcool will be such a fun character to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds and looks like a good book to read. Amazing! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so interesting that his background is a reading interventionist. It would be a natural progression to write and promote literacy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My little sister would love the imagery and enjoy being read to as well. The Great Gatsby is a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book would be great for my son. He is in kindergarten and loves to read much more than his brother did.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's nice that you finally interview a children book writer. Love the the reason that inspired the author to wrote this book, the Gaelic mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes love this my kindergartern would want this definitely. Going to check it out now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite books too! And I'm a reading enthusiast too! anything to keep kids reading is a win in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My kids would love this book. My daughter just turned 6 and she loves to read. She reads the boxes of cereal while she eats breakfast. She reads the labels on the shampoo while she's in the tub. It's hilarious, but I adore that she loves reading so much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like a great book for kids! Love seeing books for children being promoted on the web!

    ReplyDelete
  19. my mom teaches this age group, i'll have to pass along this post to her

    ReplyDelete
  20. My son is just learning site words and I imagine he'd love this book in the next 6 months or so. Sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This seems like a wonderful book for my 5 year old, who is entering Kindergarten this coming school year. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the name McCool! That made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds to me like it would be a VERY entertaining book for children (and maybe even adults) to read!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My son would love this book! This is pretty awesome to have around for this age group. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My daughter is in kindergarten and she taught herself to read at age 3. I think she would like this book very much.

    ReplyDelete
  25. As a mom of a kindergartner I know how hard it is to find books that are appropriate and have a good message in them. This looks like a great find for him especially because of the mythology!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would love to read it for my son. I'm sure he will love that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a neat book and a great way to teach Irish mythology to emergent readers. I will recommend this book to my teacher friends for use in their classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  28. As an Irish Gal, I grew up in Finn McCool stories. Even my dog is Finn! This is a lovely book. I am recommending to my daughter and her friends.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think such picture books are always a big hit with the kids as they like anything that has some info-graphic based stories that gives the right message that they could understand easily. Finn and the Boys sounds like a wonderful book to gift for my kids & I am sure they are going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Writing good children's book is not as easy as it is to read them! Yet its when its most important to have quality books so kids love to read. Love her advice: read, read, read, write, write, write.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sounds like a good book for little kids. I love children's books.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That's a cute picture books for little children.I love the advice she gave to aspiring writes. Reading everything and continuously writing id how we improve and become better writers.

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.