Sunday, April 24, 2016

Shattered Lies, a contemporary women's fiction by SJ Francis



In this weeks Author Spotlight, I met up with the hugely talented, S.J. Francis, author of Shattered Lies, a Mainstream, Women's Fiction novel.

What is your book about?

Officially, Shattered Lies is women’s fiction/mainstream, but that is just the label the publishers gave it. For me, Shattered Lies is also contemporary, family saga, epic. In fact, I hate the labeling since everyone can read this book.

Shattered Lies is about a family torn apart by secrets and lies and the aftermath of those secrets and lies coming to light. Shattered Lies focuses on a family and the aftermath of what happens when long buried secrets and lies surface:
She wants to know the truth, but some secrets might be better left alone…
Kate Thayer has a good life as a veterinarian, running the family horse farm—until she uncovers an act of unimaginable treachery by those she trusted most and learns that everything she knew about herself was a lie. Her paternal grandmother, the woman who raised her, is behind a number of devastating secrets Kate is compelled to discover. But the deeper she digs, the more betrayal she finds, changing her life in ways she could have never foreseen.

What inspired you to write this book?

Oh, I wish I had a magical answer for this one. There was no inspiration for Shattered Lies. It was just an idea, a one line sentence I came up with. What if? What if a young woman in a seemingly perfect family with a perfect life was to discover her entire life was a lie? That’s how a lot of my ideas form. I think of a question and before you know it, I have a book idea. Shattered Lies was always going to be set down south. I just never knew where until I moved to Mississippi. When I moved there, Shattered Lies basically wrote itself. The end result of it all could never have been foreseen from what I imagined it would be.

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book?

In a way I love all the characters for their individuality, their strengths and their weaknesses. To answer the question, though, my favortite character in Shattered Lies has to be my protagonist, Kate Thayer. Her perfect life is turned upside down, she carries her own secret, but through it all, she has to do the right thing no matter what it costs her. You can't help but admire her.
My least favorite character is definitely Gary Edmonton the lawyer.

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?

I didn’t choose the genre. I think the genre chose me. I’ve actually written more than a dozen novels over the last several years, but Shattered Lies, a women’s fiction/mainstream/family saga is the first one I actively sought to publish. All my novels seem to fall into this genre and they all share the same dynamic: Families, families with secrets and lies. Not necessarily conventional families, but all families.
They say to write what you know, or write what you want to know. I write both and what I care about. I care about people, people in families, and families with secrets and lies. Hence, my genre chose me.

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more?

It's a stand-alone book with a stand-alone sequel forthcoming. One doesn't have to read one in order to read the other.

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself?

Actually, I began writing for publication before any writers ever inspired me. Afterwards, though, every writer I’ve read has had an influence, somehow on my writing, including the guest authors I’ve hosted on my writing blog, but the biggest influences was the late great Jackie Collins, romance author Leigh Michaels, and Multi-Published author Heather Neff. They’re all distinctly different in their writing styles, but all are great writers that inspired me.

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel?

Oh my, that is a difficult question. I love so many books. I have no one genre that I prefer over another. I love to read everything and anything that interests me. Therefore, I find I can't choose just one. I enjoy books by Jackie Collins, John Grisham and Agatha Christie to name a few.

Have you written other books we should know about?

To date, I’ve written over a dozen novels, but Shattered Lies is the first one I actively sought for publication.

If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?

Though, I’ve been writing since 1983, I’m still learning. Never stop learning. Never stop reading. Never stop writing. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t. As long as you believe you can write, you can. Discouragement hides behind every corner. You are going to want to quit. Don’t. Never give up. Never let fear win. Never. For the day you do, you will give up. There are so many ways to get your work published now. There’s no better time to write than now. As the late, great Jackie Collins once told me when I needed encouragement the most, “Keep your writing passion on fore.” Never let life get in the way of your writing.

Where can we find your book?


Kobo 

Where can we find out more about you?

and of course My blogs - 



34 comments:

  1. This sounds like a captivating book. I love stories like this. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh - looks like a great book! I love the mystery of the secrets! Wonder what the family will do with all of these secrets and how it will change their lives!
    Karen | GlamKaren.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time to download a book...I am home today with two sick kids and I need a chance to escape :) I hope it's available on kobo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather!
      Yes, it's available on Kobo and every on-line retailer as paperback and ebook. Do hope you enjoy!
      Cheers! S.J. Francis

      Delete
  4. This looks really good! I am going to have to download it and have a reading day today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to recommend it to my book club and see what they think. I love books that mimick real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Terri!
      Thanks for taking the time to visit and comment. I guarantee you that my novel, Shattered Lies mimics real life. Too real, perhaps, for some, but never the less a reflection of our life, our times.
      Cheers!
      S.J. Francis

      Delete
  6. I was so sad to hear about Jackie Collin's she was a fantastic writer. I like that you centre the novel around family dynamics I believe that is truly relatable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ana! I concur. Jackie Collins was a great storyteller and will be missed. Family dynamics play a role in everything I right. Can you think of anything more intriguing to write about? Thanks for taking the time to visit and leave a comment!
      Cheers!
      S.J. Franics

      Delete
  7. Hi TP Keane! Thanks for the interview and sharing news about my book, Shattered Lies. FYI: The book cover has just been redesigned and is uploading slowly all over the web.
    Hope everyone gets to read it wherever you're able to find it.
    It is available everywhere on-line as a paperback and e-book. Some libraries in Mississippi have it as well as some indie booksellers.
    Cheers!
    S.J. Francis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an absolute pleasure to have you. Looking forward to seeing the new cover.

      Delete
  8. I loved Virginia Andrews as a teen and this sounds a similar genre. I'll definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone has secrets . . . This sounds very interesting to read. I will have to pencil it in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds familiar. Seems like I've read a book like this before and I loved it. I may pick this one up as well. I just read where she said she was inspired by Jackie Collins, she was also one of my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love mystery books like this! It sounds really interesting, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love books like these. They are so interesting and this sounds great. I might even go and make a purchase :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great book. Family sagas can appeal to everyone. I love that. We all can relate somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like an interesting book! Perfect for a summer reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This books sounds great. I'm always looking for new reads. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect summer reading! I'm going to add this to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh this sounds like a great book! I hate labels on books too, I think that often books can fit into so many different genres.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a good book. I love the advice she shares for aspiring writers. It's all great advice for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like a really fascinating book! I love how she said the genre chose her. I love reading about family dynamics, so I'll have to check out this novel!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very intregiued and definitely mystyle going to check this out now ! I'm always looking for new reads

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds like a great read, I'll be adding it to my reading list. I couldn't agree with the author more about learning. We should never stop learning...ever!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This book sounds good. I am going to put this on my list for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  23. this sounds like a book full of suspense. my daughter may love this as she recently started getting into suspense books

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is an awesome post and an even more awesome interview. The book is really worth looking into based on what is said here

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like an awesome book and a great interview!! p.s. love the new look of your page. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love a book that is surrounded by juicy secrets! Sounds like a great read and intense.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome Q&A! Thanks for sharing even though the book is not in the usual genere of my reading list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This sounds like a really great read. I love a book that has a little mystery to it. I definitely want to know what that family secret is!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to visit and leaving a comment. S.J. Francis, author here. Shattered Lies has lots of secrets and suspense, but it isn't a mystery, thriller or suspense. It just is life and family dynamics.
    Hope everyone is able to pick up a copy. Some libraries in Mississippi do have it, as some book stores. On-line retailers have it in ebook and paperback.
    Cheers!
    S.J. Francis

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! This books sounds really good! I read mostly YA books but I think I would really enjoy this one! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.