Sunday, April 10, 2016

The Newfoundland Vampire, A supernatural romance by Charles O'Keefe



In this weeks Author Spotlight I met up with the horrifyingly talented, Charles O’Keefe, author of The Newfoundland Vampire, a Supernatural/Vampire/Romance/Horror 


What is your book about?

Hi TP! Thanks so much for having me on your blog. So my book “The Newfoundland Vampire” is primarily Supernatural, with some horror, fantasy and romance thrown in for good measure. 

Like every other geek alive, Newfoundland native Joseph O'Reily secretly wants to be a superhero. At thirteen he fantasized about being a vampire, and ten years later he's still fantasizing - but mostly about a beautiful redheaded who has eyes only for him. The one thing different about Joseph's adult fantasy is that, amazingly, it comes true one night when he goes to a local university pub. Cassandra Snow, literally the woman of his dreams, invites him to her place for an evening of personal pleasure. Of course he's not going to say no. But when strange things start happening afterward, Joseph quickly learns that not all dreams should come true.

Cassandra has plans for him - forever. And those plans don't include daytime activities. An animal lover and recent vegetarian, Joseph wrestles with all the weird changes he's experiencing after his encounter with Cassandra. Eternal youth and amazing power come at a price that is perhaps higher than he can afford. The constant hunger for blood and the secrets Cassandra harbors test his resolve and his mental and physical limits. And then there's the fact that a two-hundred-year-old vampire is after his head, literally.

Joseph's night vision improves dramatically, giving him a glimpse of the darker side of the world and the terrible evil of vampires who walk among humans. As he tries to balance his regular life with the new reality of his vampire existence, he is determined to hold onto his personal convictions and what he values most - his humanity.

What inspired you to write this book?

A few things, a friend of mine put out a book in 2006 (and I was mentioned for helping with the edits) and I thought, I can do better than a mention, if he can write one I can do. I had imagined being a vampire for a long time, almost 20 years and one day I realized I was doing a job I didn’t like (still don’t) and that I needed a focus in my life. Writing my first vampire novel was it. I would also say that I was inspired by books like “Dracula” by Bram Stoker and “Interview with the Vampire” by Anne Rice.
  

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book?

Even though Joseph is based on me, for me my favourite would be Cassandra. She is the one that felt real to me and the one I find the most challenging to keep her interesting, realistic (aside from the vampire part of course), fun, sexy and yet dark and dangerous.
My least favourite would be Thomas. He was a vampire lackey (he worked for the main villain, John). I made him to be pitiful, weak and subservient. His only purpose was to scare Joseph, create an action scene and die. He was essential to the story of course but often dull to write.

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?

I think the Supernatural genre has so much flexibility. I can have vampires, magic, telepathy and robots all in there and still have room to expand. I have always wanted to write adult stories and I love action scenes. While in a movie I don’t want to see extreme gore, in a book you have more freedom when it comes to description and still have little chance of offending anyone. I think people like to be scared/shocked/surprised and I know I have fun writing scenes that will do any or all of those actions. I also enjoy the mental exercise of writing a truly despicable character, I think it’s a healthy way to explore the darker nature we have (or at least have the potential.)
I have written three short-stories that are different genres (sci-fi and fantasy) but no other novels in a different genre, so far. I love sci-fi and fantasy, technology and how people interact with it has always fascinated me. I’m also a huge D&D fan, so that fostered my love of fantasy.

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more?

Have no fear, there is more! In fact book two is already released and I’m currently in the editing process for book 3 (it will be out this summer sometime). I’ve even got book 4 about half-written. I’m not if that will be the end of the series but it will certainly be a major turning point and is certainly where it could finish. Look for book 4 sometime in 2017 (hopefully!). 

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself?

Me? Well let’s see, I’m married, no kids, business co-owner (not writing related, sadly), huge geek, agnostic, animal lover (mainly cats), vegetarian, martial artist, Pilates practitioner, movie buff, TV watcher, board game lover, giant D&D fan, musician (very much amateur), environmentalist and lover of long walks outside. I enjoy spending time with friends but also highly value my free time, peace and quiet and being alone. I love to travel (especially to warm place in the winter). I enjoy poker (and some other card games), comic books, conventions (of the sci-fi/fantasy/horror variety) and video games. Of course I am passionate about writing, I love to talk with fans of my books and I love to get reviews (which have been mainly positive). I hate editing (but know it has to be done) and have been known to have a few sociable or few drinks with a meal (though I’m cutting back on alcohol, it’s full of empty calories). I’m easy going, love a good agreement/discussion and do occasionally like meeting new people. I’ve been told I’m funny and while winter (in particular cold, snow and lack of sun) gets me down, I am generally a happy person and I try to make others smile and laugh. Finally I am also generous and I try my best to support charities I feel help the environment and people who need it most.

I’ve always loved books (I have a English degree) and I’ve always had an active imagination. I was drawn to writing out of a need to create, to be in control and to make characters. I love big story arcs and I like it when a story takes me somewhere I didn’t expect. Writing is a relaxation for me and the pride and sense of accomplishment I get when I finish a book is a wonderful feeling.

Yes as I mentioned above a friend of mine wrote a good book. His name is Shannon Sullivan, I also admire a few other local authors namely, Scott Bartlett and J.S. Cook. I mentioned above about Shannon, while he was almost an indirect inspiration a more direct one would be J.S. Cook. Back when I was trying to get a contract with a publisher (and getting rejection letters), she wrote me a very nice, encouraging e-mail that helped me get past the hurt of rejection and keep trying. She was certainly an inspiration. I also think that you, TP Keane, have done a great job promoting yourself and putting a beautiful looking book (I’m looking forward to reading it). I also think Joe Chianakas has done an amazing job promoting his book and frankly I’m jealous with the huge number of positive reviews he’s received.

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel?

Yes I can’t say my own, clever! I’m kidding, while it’s hard I think my favourite book would be “Mists of Avalon” by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It is a wonderful re-telling of Author and the Knights of the Round Table (from the female perspective). It gripped me tight and I read it in matter of days (despite it’s near thousand page length). A close second would be “I am Legend” by Richard Matheson. It’s very short book but has such wonderful pacing (and a wonderful vampire/end of the world story) that I also found it impossible to put down.


Have you written other books we should know about?   

Yes I’ve written two other books, one of them has been published (as I mentioned above). Book III, “The Gathering Dark”, is in the editing stage and should be out this summer.  The Newfoundland Vampire Book II “Killer on the Road” is out and here are the links for it:

If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?


I would tell them if they love to write stick with it no matter what. There will always be naysayers, you will get frustrated, disappointed and you will face rejection but like most things in life, perseverance pays off. 

Where can we find your book? 


Where can we find out more about you?






55 comments:

  1. I have never much gotten into vampire books. I am like a little kid - I don't like to be scared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel,

      Thanks for you comment. Sure I not everyone is into horror/supernatural. Still if you know sometime who does enjoy it I'd appreciate you passing on my website (www.charlesokeefe.com) thanks and have a great day! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, this was awesome to read. I love the supernatural genre and agree it is very flexible. Great work on your books, Im off to check them out ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrissie,

      Thanks for you comment, it was a fun interview! TP is super nice and of course a talented writer herself. Wonderful! I hope you'll enjoy my books, thanks again and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on them sometime =)

      Delete
  3. It looks like a great book for its audience, for people who are interested in reading about vampires. Great review as always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veronica,

      What a great name! I love names that start with V, they seem to rare these days. Thanks for you comment, I hope you'll consider checking out my books or if you just want to chat that would be cool =)

      Delete
  4. YASSSSSS! I love vampire stories. They are my favorite. I can't wait to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      Thanks for you comment. Excellent! I hope you'll buy my books and I'd love to hear from you afterwards :)

      Delete
  5. How suspenseful - being a vampire is something that is a cool topic to explore! I bet this is a total page-turner and full of twists and turns!
    Karen | GlamKaren.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,

      You have a great website, very sleek and professional looking. Thanks for you comment and the compliment! =) I'd love for you to check out my books. I did try to surprise the reader and I can honestly say I find as I write sometimes the characters do things that even surprise me! ;) love to hear from you www.charlesokeefe.com

      Delete
  6. Hi TP,

    Thanks for having me, great questions and a fun interview =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of your interviews! So a great way to 'see' the inner workings of each writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roxanne,

      Thanks for your comment. My life is (pun intended) an open book ;) Seriously though I'm very friendly and love to talk with new people. I hope you'll consider my writing, have a great day!

      Delete
  8. Ohh this book looks really interesting. Plus it's cool that you get to interview the author. This was a great read about a great read Great post! xx felinebykatsairs.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele,

      Thanks! I hope you'll consider checking out my books. I tried to look at your website but it didn't seem to work. Feel free to contact me anytime =) www.charlesokeefe.com

      Delete
  9. Your interviews are my favorite posts of the week to dive into! I'm not a fan of vampire books, or really any sort of thing like that (I cannot get into Walking Dead whatsoever), but I really love Charles' insight :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kait,

      Thanks for you comment and the compliment! While I've developed a thick skin I still really appreicate positive thoughts about me :) Sure I know vampires/horror/supernatural is not for everyone. I'm always up for a chat, I'm also a huge fantasy and comic book fan and I see lots of movies =) www.charlesokeefe.com

      Delete
  10. I have read a ton of vampire books! They are so easy to find myself lost in. This one looks like it would be perfect for my library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather,

      I would be thrilled to have you read my book. I agree the best writing helps you escape from reality, I spend many a night lost comic book or novel. As you can see I'm very much about interaction. Feel free to contact me anytime. Thanks for you comment and your interest, I hope you'll enjoy my writing =)

      Delete
  11. This sounds like the kind of classic Vampire story that I love. I like that she was inspired by Dracula and Interview with a Vampire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana,

      Thanks for you comment. I did write mine more in the Bram Stoker/Anne Rice style rather than the Twilight/Vampire Diaries kind. Vampires are supposed to be scary and powerful creatures. I certainly was influenced by Dracula and the early Anne Rice books. I hope you're check them out =)

      Delete
  12. I'm not a fan of the supernatural or vampire genre when it comes to selecting books but I know many people do enjoy these stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle,

      Thanks for you comment! Sure if you could pass the word along about my books I'd greatly appreciate it. My website is easy to remember www.charlesokeefe.com Have a great day! :)

      Delete
  13. I'm a big scaredy cat, not a fan of vampires. But still sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      Thanks for you comment. I know vampire books aren't for everyone. I love horror movies but I have never enjoyed the gory ones. I don't think my books are overly scary or gory and I'd love for you to check them out. Feel free to contact me anytime =)

      Delete
  14. Great review as always I'm definitely intregiued and going to check it out ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laci,

      Thanks for you comment. Excellent! I hope you'll check out my books. I put a lot of effort into them and I have tried to do a fun/scary/interesting/exciting story about vampires. I'd love to hear from you about them sometime or just to chat :) www.charlesokeefe.com

      Delete
  15. We love Vampire novels at the dollhouse. Some red to throw in with all our pink accessories ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      Thanks for your comment. If you'd like me to appear on your website I'd be happy to =) Also if you do reviews I'd be happy to provide you with a copy of one (or both) books. My e-mail is TheNLVampire@gmail.com hope to hear from you!

      Delete
  16. Sounds like something I would like. I have actually been reading Interview With The Vampire for a loooong time. Lol. I am not really into books, obviously. But I do love a vampire story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexandria,

      Interview with the Vampire is a good book. The movie is good too. I'd love it if you read mine, let me know if you'd like a paper copy instead =) thanks for you comment! www.charlesokeefe.com

      Delete
  17. I love a good vampire novel. I am going to have to add this one to my to read on goodreads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      Thanks for you comment. That's great, thanks for adding it! I know there are so many books and I appreciate you adding mine to your list. I'd love to hear you when you're done, thanks again and have a good one! =)

      Delete
  18. I'd never thought about how freeing it must be to write about fantasy(because of the flexibility)... I love your interviews, the insights into the authors is always so fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele,

      Thanks for your comment! I do really enjoy this genre because I am free to add elements/powers/creatures as I please. I hope you'll check out my books, also if you want to chat I'd love to hear from you :) www.charlesokeefe.com

      Delete
  19. This sounds like a great book. I'm adding it to my growing summer reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill,

      Excellent, thanks so much! =) I hope you get a chance to read my books soon. By early summer (hopefully sometime in June) book 3 will also be out. Thanks for you comment and have a great day!

      Delete
  20. I'm not into this kind of genre of books but my daughter is and she might be interested in reading this or his his others. I will be sharing this with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda,

      Sure that would be great if you passed along my website, www.charlesokeefe.com. I would say that they are for ages 16+ due to sex, violence and language. Thanks for your comment and I hope your daughter enjoys them, feel free to mention book 3 is coming soon! =)

      Delete
  21. I'm not into this type of genre but it's interesting to read this so maybe I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica,

      I promise my vampires don't sparkle! I try hard to make my vampire world different from other ones, I'd love it if you gave book 1 a read. Thanks for you comment and I hope to hear from you sometime =)

      Delete
  22. I love vampire stories. They are always so interesting and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krystle,

      I love your name, very unique! Thanks for your comment, I hope you'll check out my books. Feel free to contact me with your thoughts, I always love to hear from other vampire lovers =)

      Delete
  23. Oh now this is my kind of genre. Love supernatural and vampires are a firm favorite! I'll be checking this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      Vampires are fun and I tried my best to put a different spin on them. Thanks so much, I'd love to hear what you think of my books. Also, thanks for the comment, have a great day! =)

      Delete
  24. This book looks awesome! I love vampire books, and this looks like a great one - luckily I am between fiction books right now and looking for something new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather,

      Thanks for your comment. Excellent! I love vampire books too. I'll admit it's hard to find a good one. I read a bunch of Anne Rice ones but they get terrible. If you like comics American Vampire is really good. I'd love to hear you thoughts when you read mine :) Book 3 is being editing and should be out this summer! =) www.charlesokeefe.com

      Delete
  25. As always, I love this genre. Fantasy offers so much more opportunity than even fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becca,

      I agree fantasy is a very flexible genre. I have always loved D&D (and other fantasy like Lord of the Rings). I hope to write a fantasy book or short-story sometime. I think my books do have elements of fantasy in them. Thanks for you comment and I hope you'll check out my stuff =)

      Delete
  26. Ooh, sounds so mysterious. I am so scared of vampire movies, but I love them. I'm pretty sure this book is so much better than a film would tell the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole,

      Thanks for your comment. It's fun to be scared :) I hope you get to check out my books. Thanks for the compliment! I have always imagined by books as a movie or TV show, no harm in dreaming! Feel free to contact me anytime www.charlesokeefe.com

      Delete
  27. This seems like a great book! I love that there's a whole struggle with him and his choices when he gets to be a vampire and has to deal with those changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah,

      Thanks! I hope you're get a chance to read them. I'm working on book 3 and it should be out early this summer. I tried hard to present the transformation in a realistic way, the hard choices a regular guy would have to make when he became a vampire. I think Joseph does change a lot as the series goes on, Cassandra does too. Thanks again!

      Delete
  28. This sounds like my type of book. I love the supernatural stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karissa,

      Thanks for your reply. I hope you enjoy my books. Feel free to contact me if you would like a signed paper copy (TheNLVampire@gmail.com) or if you would like to chat about anything (doesn't have to be vampires) :)

      Delete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.