Sunday, May 8, 2016

Gwen Reaper, a young adult Paranormal Romance by Jaz Primo.



In this weeks Author Spotlight, I have the distinct pleasure of interviewing the winner of the Reviewer’s Choice Award for Best Young Adult Novel of 2012, Jaz Primo, author of, Gwen Reaper, a young adult Paranormal Romance

What is your book about?

Gwen Reaper is a young adult paranormal romance that’s an immersive first-person journey of discovery and first love that propels you through the view of Scott, the newest resident of small-town Custer, South Dakota. Gwen, the town’s mysterious and shunned teen resident, quickly catches Scott’s eye. What ensues is an emotional thrill ride where haunting pasts, an imposing creature, and small-town ideologies collide, resulting in an unforgettable and touching journey for the reader.

What inspired you to write this book?

I’ve always been fascinated by the lore surrounding the Grim Reaper. The idea for the novel was born from a daydream, and I wanted a realistic location that was off the beaten path to present Gwen’s story. As for the setting, small towns often host remarkable characters and stories, and provide a rich backdrop for burgeoning teen romance. The setting and characters ended up fitting like two perfectly-matched puzzle pieces!

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book?

I’m a big fan of the main male protagonist, Scott, because he’s the perfect blend of traditional alpha male, while tempered with a refreshing progressive respect for the opposite sex. The modern complexities of social media and dating made for circumstances that any person who’s dated can relate to. My least favorite character to write was Lester, whose own demons felt palpably real and reflective of many people’s personal frailties in society today. It’s a dark place for an author when delving oneself into the roots of characters like his.

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?

While Gwen Reaper is my first venture into young adult territory, I’m a fan of paranormal YA, and I knew I could do the genre justice with Gwen. I’m excited about the results! I also write adult paranormal romance and contemporary urban fantasy.

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more?

Gwen Reaper is intended as a standalone book and no further installments are currently planned. However, I never say never.

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself?

I’ve enjoyed creative writing since I was a student in elementary school. It’s the ideal outlet for my often over-active imagination. Writing is a very nurturing and healing method for me to process my own personal life experiences, feelings, and circumstance. I easily find inspiration from fantasy authors like Neil Gaiman, Katherine Kurtz, and L.E. Modesitt, Jr. Each of them embodies the very best that fiction can offer to broaden one’s mind while also entertaining you.

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel?

Selecting my favorite novel is too difficult to choose, but I can easily say that my favorite series is L.E. Modesitt’s fantasy Recluce Saga. To me, Modesitt’s Recluce Saga is fantasy at its best; the perfect blend of compelling character development, an immersive fantasy world setting, and gripping stories. It’s the complete package. 

Have you written other books we should know about? 

I highly recommend my award-nominated Sunset Vampire Series, a paranormal romance / urban fantasy adventure based around an alpha female vampire and her beta male love interest. In addition, my popular Logan Bringer urban fantasy trilogy is receiving high acclaim for blending telekinetic abilities, government conspiracies, and global terrorism into a compelling story with protagonists who you immediately root for. Descriptions and purchase links for all my novels can be easily found at http://www.jazprimo.com/books/ .


If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?

I urge aspiring writers to focus their efforts on story lines and characters that they feel compelled to write about instead of trying to write for what’s strictly commercially popular or the current craze in the publishing industry. In the end, staying true to your personal passions will generate the most authentic, best-written material that you can conjure. Not only will it be easier to write, readers will immediately sense the authenticity in your story and characters.

Where can we find your book?

My books are available in trade paperback and all major eBook formats from most book retailers. Purchase links for all of my novels are at http://www.jazprimo.com/books/ but the specific purchase links for Gwen Reaper are below.
Amazon 

Where can we find out more about you?


28 comments:

  1. I love paranormal stories. They are my favorite kind of book to read. I can't wait to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll give Gwen Reaper a try! :-)

      Delete
  2. Sounds interesting and intriguing for a summer read. The shunned teenager could bring up so many twists and turns in the story!
    Karen | GlamKaren.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this sounds like such an interesting read. It's cool that you get a different perspective to show a different side of the story. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't read any paranormal stuff. I think it is because I find my life so weird, I don't want to add any ideas to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was about 14/15 the paranormal/supernatural genre was something I was really into. The Gwen Reaper sounds like a fantastic read. Young Adult books are doing really well these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the play on the name! I read paranormal books all the time, so I'll be checking this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that this mixes the paranormal with romance. Sounds like a very interesting read for YA book lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not big on paranormal books and I don't watch the movies either. I have a friend who just loves them though, I might have to introduce him to this author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like an engaging read. I'll have to pass it on to my niece!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds amazing! I love paranormal and I also really love the lore surrounding the grim reaper!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a big paranormal fan but this sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know the old say goes you can't judge a book by its cover - but this cover is stunning! It is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to share this with my daughter. She has been talking about her summer reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such like a book I would like. I love romances and any paranormal. Great mix.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely don't read paranormal books because my imagination always gets the best of me. hahaha I'm more of a historical fiction kind of gal. I do enjoy reading YA books on occasion, especially if my kids have enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always love hearing about how authors get their start, and what they loved to do as kids. This sounds like a very interesting book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. yeah I can't read paranormal books as I am a huge scaredy cat! But I am sure it is an amazing read for the right person ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Thanks for this author interview of Jaz Primo. Learned new things about him.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is definitely one of my favorite genres! I love to find out about new authors, and this book sounds really great! Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't read paranormals either, however, the story sounds like it would be relative to a lot of young people. It's hard for those that don't fit the "norm" especially in small towns.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooo this book sounds like a goodie!!!!! I just love a good supernatural story line! I will be checking this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds interesting. Not what I would usually grab, but it sounds entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Romance has always been my favorite genre. I am intrigued by the idea of mixing romance and paranormal activity in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Paranormal books always get me hooked! I like the fascination of the grim reaper, going put this on my read list!

    ReplyDelete
  25. My sister teaches 8th grade English and she lives stuff like this I will definitely be sharing with her.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's so nice to be able to learn more about the authors and background behind their writing. I know it can also take a lot of work to get an interview together. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This book has such a beautiful cover & story. I don't read a lot of romance novels, but this sounds like one I'll have to pick up.

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.