Sunday, May 29, 2016

More, A young adult paranormal suspense/ romance by TM Franklin.



In toadys Author Spotlight, T.M. Franklin, the talented author of MORE, a YA Paranormal Suspense/Romance, discusses her novel and her many fabulous works.

What is your book about?

Ava Michaels used to think she was special. As a child, she fantasized about having magical powers . . . making things happen. But Ava grew up and eventually accepted the fact that her childish dreams were just that, and maybe a normal life wasn't so bad after all. 
Now a young college student, Ava meets Caleb Foster, a brilliant and mysterious man who’s supposed to help her pass Physics, but in reality has another mission in mind. What he shows Ava challenges her view of the world, shaking it to its very core. Because Caleb isn't quite what he seems. In fact, he's not entirely human, and he's not the only one. 
Together, the duo faces a threat from an ancient race bound to protect humans, but only after protecting their own secrets—secrets they fear Ava may expose. Fighting to survive, Ava soon learns she's not actually normal . . . she's not even just special. 
She's a little bit more.

What inspired you to write this book?

Like many kids, when I was young, I was convinced I had secret powers, and if I could just concentrate enough I could fly or move things with my mind. Of course, like we all do, I grew out of it. But then I had the thought – what if it was true? What if someone did have those abilities, but they were locked away for some reason? That was the initial inspiration for MORE.

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book?

In this book, I'd say Ava is my favorite. She's thrown into a crazy situation—people are watching her, they're after her, and she has no idea why. Then she finds out they have these amazing abilities. The world isn't what she thought it was. And she deals with it as best she can. Yes, she makes mistakes, but she's really trying to do the right thing.
My least favorite? Probably Tiernan. It's funny because in MORE, the first book in the trilogy, he's pretty much a bad guy. He's sent after Ava and he's big and mean and terrifying. But in the later books in the series we get to know him better and he actually becomes my favorite character in the trilogy.

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?

I write what I love to read. I enjoy reading YA and I love stories about things like super powers and alternate realities and time travel—the things that get your imagination rolling. I do write in other genres. I'm working on a pirate adventure that I'm hoping will be out this fall. I write romance without the paranormal aspect. I write humor when the mood hits, and have a fun YA romance out called How to Get Ainsley Bishop to Fall in Love with You.  But basically, I write what I like to read.

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more?

It is the first in the trilogy, and the trilogy is complete. Although I have had people asking for a follow up story featuring Tiernan, so that may happen at some point. But it will be a standalone story – not part of the actual series.

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself?

I've always written things—stories and poems and such. I worked as a journalist and it was during that time that I thought that I might try writing a book. I wrote my first novel while staying home with my younger son, and it was pretty awful. But one agent I queried encouraged me to keep writing and try to hone my skills. I discovered fan fiction and decided I'd give that a try. It was a wonderful experience and through the betas (volunteer editors) I worked with as well as through interaction with my readers, I think I became a stronger storyteller. It was through people I met in that community that I connected with my publisher. So in many ways, they changed my life.

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel?

Of all time? Oh, that's a tough one. It really depends on my mood. I loved Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins is one of my favorite romances. Right now, I'm reading Me Before You by JoJo Moyes and I'm loving it.

Have you written other books we should know about?

I have three books in the MORE Trilogy, as well as a YA Romance called How to Get Ainsley Bishop to Fall in Love with You, about a quirky boy who makes lists for everything he wants to accomplish. Obviously, he wants to get Ainsley to fall in love with him, so he makes a list and sets out to show her he has a lot to offer. That's probably my favorite book that I've written.
I also have three short stories currently out: Window (about a girl who gets visions through the picture window in her living room) A Piece of Cake (about a supernaturally gifted matchmaker who doesn't believe in love) and Unscheduled Departure (about a girl who's thrilled when her boyfriend decides not to move across the country and gets off the plane at the last minute—or does he? Dun dun duuuunn…)


LINKS

How to Get Ainsley Bishop to Fall in Love with You

Window

A Piece of Cake

Unscheduled Departure

If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?

Just keep writing. The biggest hurdle to over come is actually FINISHING something. You can always go back later and make it better. So just keep writing. Get it done!

Where can we find your book?


The complete trilogy is also available as a single volume, at a lower price:
 

Where can we find out more about you?




56 comments:

  1. I love books about paranormal stuff, so I definitely can't wait to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love stand alone books because I don't always get a chance to read the whole series. My niece will be interested in this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she likes it. The three books are available in a single volume as well, which makes it cheaper. :)

      Delete
  3. yay, this is the kind of genre of book that my husband loves. He likes suspense and paranormal. He'll be interested in this book for sure. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's amazing. I love books that focus on super powers and abilities, they are so exciting. I'm sure this book is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are some real good YA out there. This could be one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love YA books and this would have been my 14 year old's self choice of book down to a T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them, too! They are much easier to follow along sometimes.

      Delete
    2. I love to hear that - thank you! :)

      Delete
  7. Who wouldn't believe they have superpowers when they where children. It's funny how our imagination is so wild and free once we are little and then fades away when we grow up. Nice idea for a book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The books sounds interesting, I am not into paranormal stories but will definitely recommend this to my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My youngest daughter really loves books on fantasy and paranormal. I will have to let her know about More. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book sounds so promising, I really want to read it

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this sounds interesting. I probably wouldn't like the tense stuff, but the actually story line is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha I really must read this Outlander everyone keeps raving about.
    Have you read it?
    I loved that she secretly thought she had powers as a kid! Now that sounds like my kind of author.
    The premise sounds fascinating and a unique take on an ancient race.
    Yay Yay I'm beta reading at the moment and once I get that amazon gift card, guess who's blog i'm coming to, for recommendations on what books to get...
    Yes, that's right! Author TP Keane's, that's who!
    Cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love stand alone books because I don't always get a chance to read the whole series. This book sounds so promising, I really want to read it

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can feel the suspense coming from the book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I was little, my favorite book was 'The Girl with the Silver Eyes'. She should move objects with her mind. I tried for years to see if I could do the same. Haha I may have been an odd child. This book looks right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that - I don't think you're odd. I did the same thing. Wait a sec... maybe we're both odd? LOL!

      Delete
  16. I am going to have to try this one out! I just read a paranormal romance and really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh I love this idea - about having super powers that are locked inside, and no one else knows about them! I kind of thought that way when I was a kid, and I think my son does the same. He's sure he can move things with his thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not really a fan of paranormal books but my cousin is obsessed with them. She just needs to hear the word and she's all over it. I'm going to share this with her, she's going to owe me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she likes it - thanks for spreading the word! :)

      Delete
  19. Sounds like something straight off of The X-Files. I know my husband would enjoy reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love finding new trilogies! I have been in a book slump lately, so this will definitely be going on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  21. When I was teenage I used to read books with this genre, and love all the suspense feeling while reading them. This book is definitelly must put on the the list.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I totally was convinced I had super powers when I was younger too :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am still filling up my summer reading list, I love a good suspense book.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Man I love a good book and suspense ones always have me on edge. Thanks for the mini recap of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The cover is so eye catching. The fact that this is part of a trilogy is wonderful. I like books that are a series and ya paranormal is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This book sounds like it has two things my teens would love. You can never go with the paranormal and quirky romances!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is definitely a must-read. I love a suspenseful book.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Paranormal books are pretty interesting! They do keep my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really need to get back to reading! I haven't picked up a book in a while...thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love how this builds on the childhood thought we have secret powers.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love their choice of favorite novel! I love Outlander as well! Its a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Who doesnt love a good romance novel. You keep making put books on my list to read. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ooh this sounds like my kind of book - I love anything paranormal. I haven't read any YA since the Hunger Games books, but I may have to revisit that genre

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love hearing from the authors behind novels. Thanks for sharing this interview!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ooooo this book sounds like a total goodie!!!! I'm going to have to check out this author for some of my summer reading!

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.