Sunday, May 8, 2016

Spider Wars, a science fiction novel by J.D. Lakey



My Author Spotlight this week brings to us a very talented and prolific author,J.D. Lakey... who is also nominated for the Global ebook awards by the way. We discuss her book, Spider Wars - book three of the Black Bead Chronicles, a Sci-fi novel.

What is your book about?

The five Black Bead Chronicles books are classic sci-fi space operas. A girl named Cheobawn is trying to find her way in the world despite everything that goes wrong and regardless of what everyone else thinks she ought to do. In Spider Wars, the events of Bhotta's Tears (book two) have led to disastrous consequences. The Coven, the ruling council of the dome, refuse to give her advice. The Fathers do not understand why she purposefully puts herself at risk. She finds out that there are other beings beside the Spacers and their Scerron pilots who want to influence her progress as she learns to control her unprecedented psychic power.

What inspired you to write this book?

I had this short story character who kept getting into trouble, that trouble turning into really great adventures. Sometimes she died. Sometimes she survived. What kind of world would make such a creature? I created a land full of fierce creatures and domes full of warriors run by witches adept in the art of empathy and genetic manipulation. Everyone, men and women, could attain great status if they were skilled and talented enough.

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book?

Cheobawn is my favorite, of course. She is the eye in the heart of the storm. Least favorite? I love them all. They all have purpose and reason, despite the bad things they do.

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?

I have been a hard core science fiction fan since I was 13. I will read other things but I always return to the adventure and sense of discovery that sci-fi gives me. My short stories are full of dragons and demons and witches but they are not fantasy fiction. They tend to be dark horror stories.

Can we expect more in this series?

So far, there are five books in the Black Bead Chronicles. Book four is complete and I am futzing around with the middle of book five.

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself?

I came from a household full of voracious readers. I got my love of a good book from my mother. In between books, I used to paint and draw. My art told stories. One day I put down the brushes and picked up a pen. I never went back. Who inspires me? All those women who wrote sci-fi when it was a man's genre. Their prose was more lyrical, their characters more in touch with their feelings.

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel?

Depends on my mood. Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone is a favorite because when you read it out loud, the characters come to life, and you realize Rowling has an unerring ear for the cadence of humor. Ursula K. Leguin, Vonnegut, CJ Cherryh. The list goes on.

Have you written other books we should know about?


If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?

You have a voice inside your head. Let it out. Read what you write out loud and listen to how it sounds. Forget grammar and spelling and punctuation. That comes later. 

Where can we find your book?  


Where can we find out more about you?





37 comments:

  1. This is totally up my husband's alley! I know what he's getting for Father's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope he does enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. I like this story line because I think in a way (real life or not) everyone is trying to find their own way throughout life despite what everyone else says. It sounds like an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele! And you are so right. The main character struggles with being a social outcast who also happens to be brilliant but her brilliance is unrecognized. I'm sure many of us feel that way!

      Delete
  3. My husband loves these kinds of books and honestly I thought I may have seen this on on the bookshelf but I may be mistaken. If it isn't I will have to make sure he knows about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear! If it's not on there, I hope it is soon :)

      Delete
  4. I will have to check this series out for my son. He needs some books to read over the summer and these look like they would work for him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These books are a great YA as well as adult read. Many have compared them to the Divergent series. Hope your son enjoys the books!

      Delete
  5. I am not a sci-fi fan at all but I love your review. I will certainly rec'd it to friends who would love it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to tell my husband and my mom about this series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that both my husband and my dad would love this series, I had never heard of it before. THanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you refuse to accept that sci fi is a male genre because it is not, we women love sci fi ( at least I do) and it is refreshing to see someone who breaks the mold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I consider myself a feminist sci-fi writer. There are quite a few of us around i think!

      Delete
  9. My husband would love this series. he reads sci-fy books and watches these kinds of shows on tv too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a friend who just LOVES these kind of books. I wonder if she's heard of this one before. I will have to share this with her. She's going to owe me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do share it, thanks! I hope she enjoys the books.

      Delete
  11. I'm not into the sci-fi genre, but it sounds like an interesting series. Great advice for aspiring authors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use to read all the time. I can honestly say I haven't read a book on 2 years. That will have to change!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like this genre. Although not so much the horror of the short stories! Love the advice to writers - if the voice is in there let it out. Absolutely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am not a big science fiction lover but I love a good series! This looked interesting and looked like it had a good plot! www.cheerykitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like an awesome new addition to the series. It's awesome that there are more books on the way too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I am not a science fiction fan but after your review I am so curious to check it out! And why not start reading again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this book! Never knew the author was up for a global award, that's amazing. Love this interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for reading!

      Delete
  18. Never heard of this series before but the world she's created sounds very exciting. Cheobawn is certainly a unique name - I'd love to hear more about her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheobawn is an Irish name actually - TP should appreciate that :)

      Delete
  19. Science fictions have always intrigued me and love reading such books. Thanks for your review would love to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just finished reading anita blake book 10 and ive looking for something new to sink my teeth into.Love the interview. Definitely going to get the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, please let me know if you like it!

      Delete
  21. I am always in for reading new material. I've heard a couple people talk about this book I may have to finally take a read. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading the interview! I do hope you read the books and I'd love to hear your feedback.

      Delete
  22. My husband is going to love this! This book is totally of his taste!

    ReplyDelete

  23. This is a cool post. Though the story seems simple but it's different, for me, because the girl attempts to find herself in a place where everything is going opposite to her, opposite meaning not her way or not what everyone wants. - Allan Liwanag

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story may be simple, but the characters and the world are complex. They grow more so as the series progresses. Hope you get a chance to read the and let me know what you think!

      Delete
  24. My friend loves books like this. I will have to pass on the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh this one looks really good. I'll be adding that to my must have books.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A must read for sure. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.