Wednesday, May 4, 2016

The Diary of a Single Parent Abroad, a memoir by Jill Pennington



In this Author Spotlight, I met up with the wonderfully adventurous, Jill Pennington, author of, The Diary of a Single Parent Abroad, a memoir. In it, she pens about her trials, tribulations, and triumphs of moving abroad.

What is your book about? 

It’s a true story (Memoir) about my experience bringing up three children in a foreign country on a very small income.

When Jill and her family moved to Italy she expected life to change but she had no idea how massive that change would be. Shortly after the move, she discovered her husband had been having an affair and had no intentions of staying in Italy.
Despite being in a foreign country with no income,  limited language skills, a house that needed rebuilding and three young children to care for, she never once considered returning to the UK.
With strength and determination she accepted any challenge, dismantling a derelict house to ground level, digging out a three meter deep well with her hands to get free water and overcoming her fear of the chainsaw to cut the winter wood. When there was very little money for food she made risotto with nettles collected from the roadside. She overcame many problems, learned new skills and discovered that money is not important, the only things in life that matters are health, happiness and her children.
Jill’s story is delivered with an ever present hint of humour, because, she says, “Without laughter life wouldn’t be funny!”

What inspired you to write this book?

I wrote a diary about my experiences and shared some of it on an expat forum, I was encouraged to turn it into a book, so I did.

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book?

The characters are real people, so I would have to say my children are my favourites.


What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?

It just happened. A friend said more happens to Jill in a week than happens to most people in a year. The material just kept piling up so I wrote it.

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more?

I will write a follow-up, but have not set a deadline.

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself?

I have always written things down ever since I was a child, I thought everybody did it, but apparently not. After giving birth to my first child, I passed him to the midwife and said ‘Hold that for a minute and pass me a pen and paper’ She clearly thought I was mad but I had to write it down while it was fresh  in my head. I still have the few lines of scribble somewhere, just a brief account of the experience.

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel?

I am currently loving the crime novels by L M Krier she has written 3 so far, the first one ‘Baby’s got blue eyes’ introduces a completely new kind of detective, I got hooked and can’t stop reading them.

Have you written other books we should know about?

Take Three Birds
I met two other writers on the internet, we became good friends and decided to meet, but we all lived in different countries. So it was like a roadtrip/travel memoir.

If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?

Learn how to do marketing.

 

Where can we find your book?

Amazon

Where can we find out more about you?

Facebook
Twitter
Website





33 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Jill! Waiting for the follow-up...or maybe a help-book on marketing? In bocca al lupo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful story, Jill. You're true overcomer! I'm sure many will draw strength from your memoirs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a courageous story. I'm so glad that you are sharing it with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love learning about the people behind the books. This book sounds like one I need to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such an inspiring story and I would love to read it. It's challenging and it talks about the struggles of a mother, it's definitely something all moms can relate to. This will serve as an inspiration to many women out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing woman! I can't wait to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what an inspiring story. A wonderful one of strength and courage!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very inspiring story, you're a superwoman! I cant wait for this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Major props for writing your book! I hope to get to your level some day :-).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow a story! I don't know if I can do what she did, just decide to stay and start all over. She's a very strong woman. I'm going to look for those detective books she talked about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That question:
    If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?
    Learn how to do marketing.

    Will keep that in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow what an amazing story! This is so inspiring and just in time for Mother's Day! Great post

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like an amazing story! I'd love to read it. I don't read to much lately, but I'd love to get back in to reading, and this would be a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, such a great story Congratulations to you and the people behind. Thanks for making me Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so neat! It's the perfect way to capture all your memories forever!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can totally sympathize with the character's dilemma within the plot. I am interested to read this. Also, that thing about scribbling while passing the child to a mid-wife, I don't find it weird and that's just simply a mark of a good observer-thinker.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an awesome story! Way to go mama bear! Take care of your cubs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy Hannah! Why in the world would you move your family if you knew you were going to leave them! People can be so despicable!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh a true story written by a mom... that has got to be a gem of a book! Not saying that simply b/c I am a mom...but, moms see a lot in experiencing life with kids.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Being a writer takes so much inspiration making it a book reality! It was really good to know being one especially MARKETING !

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an inspiring lady!
    I would love to read her book!

    Thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow... what an inspiring story. I can't wait to check out the book.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a wonderful book to read. It is always going to be amazing when you get to read books that relate to the real life & I would love to know the experience she had with a small income. I am sure it is going to be inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations, Jill! All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like a great book! As a former single mom, I can only imagine what the author went through, let alone living in another country. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I bet I would love reading this book. Great interview! I laughed out loud imagining the delivery room scene, "Hold the baby, Give me a pen instead."

    ReplyDelete
  27. I always love books about other people's experiences. I love it even more if it's about an experience that they have never had before. This should be a lovely book to read.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an awesome story! You always do such a good job with your interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sounds like a great story of strength and courage that can be an inspiration to all.

    ReplyDelete
  30. As a single mom whose dream is to spend a year traveling abroad with my son, I would love to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is definitely something I can relate with - moving abroad and having to deal with the new environment, culture, etc can be quite a challenge! What a lovely book and I'm glad that you shared it with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  32. very interesting. i love reading real life stories, it inspires me in my everyday life

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.