Sunday, May 22, 2016

Voodoo Vows, a paranormal romance by Diana Marie DuBois



In this Author Spotlight, I chatted with the Diana Marie DuBois, author of, Voodoo Vows, a magically enticing paranormal romance.

What is your book about?

Rosie Delacroix returns to New Orleans after her mother's disappearance, is pulled into an unimagined world and gets more than she bargained for. Ensconced in the life of magic and voodoo, she's surrounded by unlikely allies. 

Julian Quibodeaux, an old flame, re-enters her life and their love is once again reignited like dry tinder to a flame. However, he's been cursed and unaware he holds a terrible secret...One that could destroy their relationship. She'll be tested in many ways, to save the man she loves.

Will her friends, and an unusual new-found gift, be enough for her to survive her journey? Witchcraft, voodoo and a magic swirl in this novel set in the unique city of New Orleans.

What inspired you to write this book? 



Funny you ask this. Of course I live in Louisiana about two hours from the Crescent City which as we all know is chocked full of amazing culture.  We have ghosts, vampires and of course voodoo.  I’ve always been fascinated by the allure of voodoo. So I sat down with my dad and bounced ideas off of him, knowing I wanted to incorporate Marie Laveau into my book.  About two years ago I met a tour guide in Nola and she was a fantastic storyteller and she practiced voodoo. Wow it was as if things were falling into my lap. My goal to make this book great was to make sure I portrayed voodoo in the real light, now what you see in the movies.  After friending this lady and making sure I did research Voodoo Vows was born and an inspiration to add voodoo to all my books became second nature.

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book?

My favorite character hands down would have to be Athena. She is a magical Great Dane. She is snarky and willing to learn things. She actually got her own series and has many adventures.
My least hmmmm I actually have one who I love to hate. Gabby. She is the quintessential bad girl.  There will be much more of her in the next books.

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre? 

I have always loved the paranormal.   When Interview with the Vampire came out in the theatre I told my mom. She pulled out a small book and said read this first.  Thus began my love affair with the paranormal and Anne Rice.

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more? 

No this is not a standalone.  As of now there are four books out.  A prequel called MagicalMemories, Ghosts from the Past 1.5 and Black Magic BetrayalBook 2

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself? 

I never thought about writing until I played in a role playing group on facebook writing storylines. My dad told me I was good and I should write my own stories.  So after months and months of this I sat down and began to write.  I have always loved Anne Rice, Ernest J Gaines, Dakota Cassidy and Barbra Annino who I may add also has a Great Dane in her Stacey Justice books. You might want to try those too.

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel?   

I love the classics. But one book I can read over and over is A Gathering of Old Men by Ernest J Gaines.

Have you written other books we should know about?


If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be? 

If you want to write DO IT.  Don’t let people tell you otherwise.  But make sure you get a great editor or two. The story is your job to write they are there to polish.

Where can we find your book?


Where can we find out more about you?

Twitter @DianaMDuBois



58 comments:

  1. This sounds like my kind of book. I need to get my hands on a copy of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So even though I don't like paranormal stuff, I am enthralled by the goings on in Louisianna! I might actually like this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I hope you do. It's full of magic and love as well. :)

      Delete
  3. Athena as a magical great Dane sounds like a fascinating character and I find voodoo very interesting. I don't know many people that actively do Voodoo though lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Athena's muse was my very own great dane lily. She actually has her own series told in her pov.

      Delete
  4. Oh.... this one sure sounds interesting! Voodoo and magic and love? I have to pick up a copy of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh - voodoo sounds really captivating as part of the plot! I bet there are a million cool twists and turns to this one!
    Karen | GlamKaren.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that is exactly why I am excited to read it, too!

      Delete
    2. Yes but I will warn you there is a cliffhanger. So lots of twists and turns.

      Delete
  6. Voodoo......sounds mysterious and interesting and is likely a good read. People are always afraid of the word voodoo. I am interested in the paranormal and glad not everyone has gone solely digital. I love books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. There's almost a spirituality to voodoo. And our voodoo is mixed with catholism. I get people all the time afraid of voodoo dolls. They are actually not evil.

      Delete
  7. Interesting, sounds like a good read. I may have to put this on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this sounds really good! I love finding new series to read, and this is definitely the genre that I love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This actually sounds really interesting! Voodoo always seems like it is just in movies, but it is something to remember that it is based in real practices, and New Orleans definitely has some interesting culture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always been fascinated by the word "voodoo" but don't believe in it but I love watching shows that highlight it. This sounds like a book I'll want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At first I wasn't interested in this genre, but now that I see a little bit of the author and the reason this bit of culture appears in her stories, I'm intrigued. I appreciate the advice of JUST do it when it comes to wanting to write. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Given how much I enjoy the paranormal IRL, I have not read this genre at all. Perhaps this will be the year I do, starting with this book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stories involving magic always interest me. Secretly I wish I had some kind of magical ability.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! This book sounds intriguing. I live about 2 hours from New Orleans also and the history there is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You had me at paranormal. i lvoe a good romance with a paranormal twist.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This book sounds intriguing foe sure! I like that you have the interview and explained what inspired you to write it, that makes me want to read it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is always fun to learn about the authors of books. This one sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds good. I rarely reach for paranormal, but I always enjoy it. I should try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That sounds interesting! What a creative person she has to be in order to dream all of that up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This book sound like something I would definitely read. I like reading stories involving magic which I have always found interesting and fascinating.

    Leslie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that the author is taking inspiration from a place that she loves. I'm sure that brings everything to life :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That sounds like the type of book that my daughter would really get into. I will let her know about it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a great book, but I think I'd gonna check out the ones she mentioned on Athena the magical great dane! Now those sound fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Voodoo is very taboo in my culture, so I probably wouldn't read this because I'm too chicken...lol. But it sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like a great read. I love romance books of any kind and this sounds unique!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That sounds like a great read. Anything set in New Orleans has a back ground for mystery and intrigue.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I grew up in New Orleans and I love books with a New Orleans setting. Looks like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great advice about getting an editor. Love the premise of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This sounds fascinating and all sorts of creepy. Did I miss whether or not this is set in present day?

    ReplyDelete
  30. This sounds like something I would enjoy - love voodoo.

    ReplyDelete
  31. voodoo vows wow sounds intriguing. Its inspiring me to read again I love a good thriller read!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That sounds exciting. I want to find out more especially about that curse and what Julian does to save her love! That's really worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is so interesting voodoo and love? I want to read more

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am not into paranormal romances but this book looks so interesting and creepy too!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love reading new and wonderful books! I will have to check this book out!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This should be an interesting read.....

    ReplyDelete
  37. The setting of New Orleans combined with mysticism always fascinated me. I would love to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love paranormal stories! Just right before bed haha

    ReplyDelete
  39. This sounds like my kind of book. I love books that are like this. I haven't had time to read lately though, but I could get in to one like this.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I like her advice. If you love to write a book, then write. True, no one else will do it for us than us ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I need to get back into reading! Its all about finding the time! Thanks for this- will add it to the never ending list haha! I literally add so many to good reads but barely have the time to actually read them!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hmmm... I can see where the idea for a magical Great Dane came from. What a gorgeous canine! Love the photo! This sure sounds like an interesting read! I can't wait to find out, if the main character survives her journey.

    ReplyDelete
  43. You asked some really great and unique questions. I think this would make a very interesting summer read...thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I need to get a copy of this! It looks amazing and my type of book! Good book to read by the pool!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Okay, this is a book I would read. I'm intrigued by the spiritual side and voodoo magic. I am ordering this book for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is a great interview. It sounds like a good book. I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oooo now this is the kind of plot I'm all about!!! I will definitely have to give this book a read!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I know this is about the book, but can I say how much I want to hug your dog. I love great Danes.

    ReplyDelete
  49. It sure sounds interesting! Voodoo, magic and love? I have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.