Sunday, June 12, 2016

EERIE, a powerful debut paranormal romance by C.M. McCoy







 

In today's Author Spotlight, I have the distinct pleasure of interviewing C.M. McCOY, author of EERIE. We discuss her powerful YA paranormal romance novel, which was published with Simon and Schuster, and repped by agent, Michelle L. Johnson of Inklings Literary Agency.











What is your book about?

First of all, THANK YOU for hosting an interview about my debut novel, Eerie.

Eerie was featured in a 3-page interview published in the 4 April 2016 issue of PEOPLE Magazine. The novel is a Young Adult (YA) Paranormal with Romance set in Alaska and featuring an 18-year-old Irish dancer from Pittsburgh who enrolls in a ParaScience University in Alaska.  




The best way to learn about the book is to watch the book trailer here

Hailey's dreams have always been, well...vivid. As in monsters from her nightmares follow her into her waking life vivid.

When her big sister goes missing, eighteen-year-old Hailey finds the only thing keeping her safe from a murderous 3,000-year-old beast is an equally terrifying creature who has fallen "madly" in love with her. Competing to win her affection, the Dream Creature, Asher, lures her to the one place that offers safety--a ParaScience university in Alaska he calls home. There, she studies the science of the supernatural and must learn to live with a roommate from Hell, survive her ParaScience classes, and hope the only creature who can save her from an evil immortal doesn't decide to kill her himself.

What inspired you to write this book?

The premise for EERIE came from my childhood fear of the dark and the stories I used to tell myself at bedtime about creatures that lived in the shadows—creatures that could be good or bad.
The real inspiration for Eerie happened when I moved to Alaska from Florida in 2008. I was …surprised. Culture shocked, really, and everything that I saw and heard and experienced became sort of magical. My imagination took flight, and I knew I wanted to write about paranormal creatures in The Great White North. So when I began to write a sort of love story between the creatures in the shadows and a lonely girl, I knew this ancient creature would have a home in Alaska with a mission to do something big. In a nutshell, that’s where Eerie originated.

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book?

Which is your favourite child?  Lol!  It’s just as hard for me to choose my favourite character, but I’ll give it a go. My favourite character to write was Fin, one of the heroes of Eerie, because he literally came out of nowhere with this huge personality, tragic history and give-a-shit attitude toward death. His one focus is always to be a better man. Sometimes he succeeds and sometimes he fails, but no matter what, he’d lay down his life (and more) to save Hailey. I just love him and all his flaws. 

My least favourite character in Eerie is Tage, the star quarterback and Hailey’s first date. He comes across as an operator in Book 1, and I really, really despise people who put on an all-American-do-no-wrong face. I wanted him to try to hard to convince Hailey that he was the trustworthy-with-a-secret hero, and I hope I succeeded after all the cuts during editing. Originally, he had an important part at the end of Eerie, which tied up his storyline, but which was trimmed prior to publishing. He has a far larger role and more dimensions in Book 2, and I think Eerie fans who chose a Team Asher or Team Fin will be rethinking Tage altogether. 




What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?

I love writing about monsters—either the normal or paranormal kind—and everything I write has a “big bad.” The other genre I write is YA Thriller, with the human brand of monster. Actually, I think those ones are the scariest. I’m currently editing 30 DAYS WITH DR. DEATH for submission via my agent, Michelle Johnson. 30 DAYS features a 17-year-old protagonist who helps her psychiatrist father run a POW-style rehab camp in Alaska. Her mission: return them sober or in a body bag. There’s mystery, suspense and a little romance of course.

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more?

Eerie stands alone, but I will be writing at least 2 more in the series. 

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself?

I started writing short stories when I was in grade school—2nd grade, I think—so about 8 years old. I actually made a “writer’s journal” by ripping out some tablet paper and stapling it together…lol. The stories were maybe two sentences long back then, and I still have that little journal. Ultimately, what made me sit down and get serious about putting a story together was a culmination of life changes. I’d retired from the military (early due to injury), and I’d moved to Alaska. I’d been telling myself bedtime stories for years (since childhood, really) about creatures that lived in the shadows, creatures that could be good or evil. From that came a romance story, and when I moved to Alaska, a horde of Paranormal creatures took shape in my mind. I knew my shadow creature had a past (he’d been on Earth for 3,000 years) and I knew he had a goal—to get back home. He was crafty and professorly (yes, that’s a word) and after writing the first few chapters of Eerie, I realized what Asher (the creature) was and that he’d likely have established a University with a mission to pierce the veil between this world and the next. Since I loved the mystery and seclusion of Alaska, I knew his University would be in Alaska.

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel?

It changes. Right now, my favourite is GREY by EL JAMES. I love the way she writes her characters, and I love the love story she created. (Plus, I got to meet her at RT in Vegas this year, where she hugged me. Total fan of hers—she’s a lovely person and so, so grateful for her fans)

Have you written other books we should know about? 

Eerie was my debut, and right now, it’s the only book available. I did write a memoir regarding a high-profile crime from 2007, which is out on submission to publisher’s now. Also in the pipeline is my YA Thriller, and I suspect that may be the next book to hit the press. I anticipate the sequel to Eerie to come out this fall.

If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?

Certainly this: Don’t ever quit. You have to keep writing and keep trying and it might be your 5th manuscript that becomes THE book that gets published. Find support from other authors and write on.

Where can we find your book?

B&N

Where can we find out more about you?

            Website 
Blog 


78 comments:

  1. I love reading paranormal romance. Eerie, although it's a book for YAs sounds right up my alley. I can't wait to get a copy of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy the book and let me know what you think :-)

      Delete
  2. Wow, this sounds interesting! I hope it becomes available on audible soon! I listen to lots of audio books on my commute! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That phrase about I'll always you when you are dreaming reminds me of Freddy Kruger and that is freaky. It looks scary, your book. Not sure if I can handle it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. KathyKenny :-)

      It is a bit of a creepy tale, but shot-through with humor. The main character in this story falls in love with her dream monster, who in turn tries to save her life. Not so much Freddy Kruger--more like stalker-Edward-ish from Twilight.

      Delete
  4. Very interesting article! It's a must read for anyone who loves paranormal stories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh! I love reading paranormal novels and they usually make great movies too! It looks like her vivid imagination has a great outlet :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paranormal romance is so much better than your standard rom-com and Eerie sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds exactly like something that would make me stop to check it out at the book store. If this had a really big succes it could be taken to the big screen and become the next teenager blockbuster!! With a really handsome actor casted as Asher and... I can dream right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhhhh.... I'm dreaming too....

      Actually, a large production company has asked for the manuscript, so we'll see! *fingers crossed* <3

      Delete
    2. wow. Sorry to chime in on the conversation, but wow. Best of luck with it, I hope it happens for you. :)

      Delete
  8. Paranormal reads are so suspenseful. I can't imagine the impact that has on the romance. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This makes me want to check out the book. I love a good mystery book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      If you get a chance to check it out, I hope you'll let me know what you think of it <3 Thanks so much for commenting!

      Delete
  10. This sounds so interesting! And a big congrats on it being featured in People magazine, that's huge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read a Paranormal Romance book yet, but it sounds pretty interesting. I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll let me know what you think, Jay <3

      Readers have said it opens like a cozy mystery and segues very sneakily into a paranormal adventure with romance. <3

      Delete
  12. I loved learning about the stories she told herself as a kid. She was a budding novelist long before she could put a book together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book sounds intriguing. It sort of reminds me of Frankenstein a bit. Sounds like a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW WOW WOW!!! Epic score for your blog TP. Such a riveting post and author interview!
    Felicidades Epica to C.M. McCOY on the amazing book success and being featured in PEOPLE. I love that it's her debut book too. I appreciate her advice at the end so much. Don't ever quit.
    This sounds like such a wicked book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an interesting book, the story is definitely unique than most of the ones I've read. I'm curious about the story and I'd like to know what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's always interesting to hear about other authors. This isn't a genre I would read, but I have a friend who will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am not a huge fan of books unless they are really good, I will have to try this one out I'm really into a good romance novel! Thanks for the great read

    http://xoxobella.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. One of my favorite genre so I will surely check this book. Love thrilling storyline. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! I hope you'll let me know what you think of it :-D <3 <3

      Delete
  19. Wow, this is so interesting. Looks like I want to have an copy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not my kind of genre, however, it is always wonderful to read about new authors, books and the stories that they bring to life!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love to read! I think this looks like a very interesting read for sure! I can not wait to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy it! <3 <3

      Delete
  22. I haven't tried romantic paranormal stories before. This one, I will give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! <3 <3 Here's hoping you fall in love <3

      Delete
  23. I haven't read any paranormal romantic stories yet, but this could be my first! Totally bookmarking this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kenia! If you get a chance to check it out, I hope you'll let me know what you think :-) <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  24. EERIE looks like a great read. I am getting a copy for my granddaughter to read this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! If she enjoys it, send me an email, and I'll send her some swag (bookmark, magnet, nail file, t-shirt, if I have her size :-) ) <3 <3

      Delete
  25. Woah looks super interesting!!! It's so cool how you got to interview a published author too! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This book sounds amazing because it has some key elements which I enjoy reading about. Alaska. And Irish. Thank you, will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrystal! If you do get a chance to check it out, I hope you'll let me know what you think. <3 <3 <3 I love hearing from readers!

      Delete
  27. Interesting book and great interview. Not a Romance kind of reader but this might just tempt me into it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi chris!

      Thanks! It's a strange book in that it opens like a cozy mystery with some dark "Stephen King-esque" suspense, and then it sneakily transitions into a paranormal adventure with romance. :-)

      Delete
  28. I love to read and you also preview great books! I can not wait to hook my eyes in these pages!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So cool. I LOVE the idea of a book trailer. I want to read this now!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This sounds like a really good book. These types are one of my favorite kinds of books to read too. This is a great interview as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I hope you get a chance to check it out, and if you do, I hope you'll let me know what you think <3

      Delete
  31. This sounds like the exact kind of book that I love to read. My friends always laugh at me because I head to the young adult section first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! I do the same thing! That's where the best books are :-)
      Young Adult: it's where you go for emotional honesty and weirdness.

      Delete
  32. EERIE sounds like a nice romantic paranormal book. I love to read this, I hope I get a copy myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexie! I hope you get a chance to chekc it out, and if you do, I hope you'll let me know what you think of it :-)

      Delete
  33. This is my first time to watched a trailer for an upcoming book, and I must say it caught my attention, "a non book worm".

    Great tip, likewise by the author, to keep trying and don't quit

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love how her childhood fears inspired her to write this. It sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This sounds like a great read and a great interview. I am not too much into this genre but my husband is. I will share with him.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I like the trailer, this is very interesting. I love to read this book, can't wait to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I actually like the trailer, it is interesting but I was wondering how Harry Potter came in. Does the book has some form of similarity to Harry Potter movies, books etc.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tione!

      Many reviewers and readers have related the remote supernatural university in Alaska to Hogwarts, though Hogwarts is for children and Bear Towne University is for adults. Also, the way the supernatural world slowly reveals itself is similar to Harry Potter. Hope that helps! Thanks for your question <3

      Delete
  38. Seems like a very interesting read. I go for this type of genre sometimes but it's given me a clearer picture because of the article.

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a great idea to ask who her favorite and least favorite characters were in the book. I think it would be so totally awesome to have a published book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the hardest question EVER! Yet, I knew immediately how I'd answer. LOVE that question <3

      Delete
  40. It is a awesome book and its so great that you were feature in the people magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love reading this genre and the story is so intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  42. I do not to eerie at all...LOL....too creepy for me

    ReplyDelete
  43. This sounds like an interesting story, not typically something I would enjoy but it's intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  44. sounds like a very interesting topic! i love things paranormal something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  45. wow. this is very interesting. i would love to read more. i love intriguing and intense reads.

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.