Saturday, June 4, 2016

The Kiss That Killed Me, a romantic fantasy by Kristy Nicolle



In today's Author Spotlight, I had the pleasure of catching up with the very talented Kristy Nicolle, author of The Kiss That Killed Me (The Tidal Kiss Trilogy-Book 1) a Fantasy Romance.

What is your book about?

The Kiss That Killed Me is a fantasy romance centered around the fantastical world of the Occulta Mirum and its inhabitants- MERPEOPLE! The novel is from multiple perspectives but the main story is from the point of view of Callie Pierce, who unknowingly finds her destiny in a stranger she meets one night on the beach. This book is the first novel in the trilogy and the trilogy is the first of three in a saga called QUEENS OF FANTASY-

When Callie Pierce turns 18 she has three very simple goals: avoid her stepfather, escape to an Ivy League university of her dreams, and party with her friends. But on a night like any other, when the moon is full over the ocean, her life changes in a way that no one could have ever seen coming. On the sandy beaches of San Diego she meets Orion, a man from whom she cannot stay away and to whom her return becomes as inevitable as the tide kissing the shore. If that isn't enough, a kiss which changes everything plunges Callie head first into a world of mythic responsibility, epic danger, and heart stopping romance. The Mer, an ancient race of warriors brought forth to defend the seas, show her wonders beyond what is humanly possible, forcing her into an archaic chain of events that bring together power, seduction, violence, and beauty in a terrifying, yet exhilarating mix. Then there’s the Banished to contend with, a group of Psirens corrupted by the ocean’s abyss that stand to destroy the eternity Callie has been promised. Will she sacrifice herself for the greater good, or is the gravity that pulls her to Orion just too great to bear?

What inspired you to write this book?

I love fantasy, so choosing to embark on the oceanic part of the saga first was an easy choice, as it’s so little explored and there’s so much we still don’t know about the seas. I had a lot of music which inspired the creation of The Kiss That Killed Me too, all of which can be found on my Spotify account. I also love the idea of mermaids in general, I mean, who doesn’t want to be eternally beautiful with flowing long hair and the ability to cry diamonds, right?

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book?

It’s not a very well-known fact but my least favourite character is probably that which my readers love most. Orion. I love what he stands for, but I find his character to be a little dense- too disconnected from reality. His language is florid, too florid at times and he’s a little bit too wrapped up in the fantasy of what he wants Callie to be, rather than what she is. His character undergoes a massive reformation during the trilogy and he’s definitely not the same coming out as he is going in and trust me, I prefer him toward the end. He’s the classic hero, the perfect man, but I find him annoying to write as in my head he’s predictable. He’s always going to do the honourable thing, whether or not it’s interesting for me as a writer. My favourite character is Azure, she’s one of those characters who is constantly difficult for me to write. I know where I want her to end up, but she’s constantly challenging me to find believable ways to take her from point A to B. Her backstory is also tragic, which I touch on in book 2 and I think she’s one of the strongest characters in the story by far. She’s got darkness within her and this is a daily struggle once she decides which team to play for. I love her character because she’s never afraid to be who she is, even if other people don’t like her for it. She’s always honest, never tries to be what she’s not and never fails to make me laugh.

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?

I love fantasy romance because it takes normal relationships which at times can seem so very domestic and pushes them to their breaking point. I love taking two characters, pushing them together and watching as they either succumb to, or dodge obstacles I throw at them. I love trying to create a natural development in an unnatural situation. It’s fun. I also dabble with science fiction and a few other alternative bits and pieces like poetry. I have plans in the works for a science fiction series after I’m done with Queens of Fantasy.

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more?

Nope, not a standalone, Book 2- The Kiss That Saved Me will be debuting on the 25th of June and then the final instalment of this trilogy will be making an appearance HOPEFULLY by the end of this year. The initial plot is looking to be about 200k so I’ll be working to a tight deadline, but I think I can do it. After the trilogy is over, I have one or two novella’s up my sleeve which will be linked to the Tidal Kiss Trilogy too. So keep your eyes peeled early 2017 for those!

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself?

What drew me to writing, was reading. I loved reading as a kid. I’d read maybe ten books a week, and I hated being read to, I always wanted to be the one telling the story. When I got into high school I had a really amazing English teacher called Helen Prochera. She introduced me to literary analytics with William Golding’s ‘Lord of The Flies’ which is my absolute favourite novel even now, I actually have a first edition of this in pride of place next to my own books. 

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel?

Lord of the Flies- By William Golding.

If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be?

Ignore the naysayers. Get your head down and write, don’t let anyone distract you from the work, that’s what’s really important. If you put your heart and soul down onto paper, the rest will come.

Where can we find your book?

Amazon US - Free on Kindle Unlimited 
Amazon UK - Free on Kindle Unlimited

Where can we find out more about you? 

Instagram: authorkristynicolle
Twitter: @Nicolle_Kristy


31 comments:

  1. Great interview. I love meeting the people behind the books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read books that have a series to them,Because sometimes the story just must go on.Looks like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting to interview the author! I don't really read these kind of books, but it is interesting to hear about an oceanic twist on one of these stories instead of an outer space kind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know a few people that would probably enjoy this book. I am not a fan of fantasy books at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great interview. I'm a fan of fantasy and romance books. Lord of he flies is one of my favorite books too. I will definitely order both of your books this Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute premise for this book. I do love the oceanic take and it sounds both funny and romantic. I really enjoyed the interview and the author sounds like an interesting person!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good interview.
    It's always nice to meet the author behind the novel.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the type of books my sister love! Im sharing this with her

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great author interview. The books sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, who wouldn't want to be a mermaid? :D It sounds like an amazing combination for a great read!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The book sounds great, like the author really put a lot into it. As far as fantasy goes, this sounds like a steal, great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a pretty good book. I will have to add it to my To Read list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantasy novels are always exciting. This is something that I would definitely read. I'm curious about what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The title itself is very intriguing. I like romantic fantasy books more than other genres.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great interview. I love reading fantasy-romance books. I will add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so lucky to interview the author, it is my dream to do this. I don't like reading books unless it is a fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like hearing the author's insight in writing a book. I am a writer myself and reading interviews like this makes me enthusiastic.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love a good read, I am going to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a bit of an escapist myself and these types of settings thrill me. It'd be amazing how it turns out with the story!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am always interested in fantasy novels and I admire the author behind it. They really have a wide imagination.

    Mhaan <3 | Mommy Rockin' In Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was a wonderful and telling interview! I am very intrigued by the Mer!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds like a very interesting book. This is exactly what I would love to read too. I just wish that I could read more often then I get to. I need to make more time to read.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want a copy for myself, I love the fantasy genre but merpeople was never a topic that was popular so I would be interested to have a read!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's always great to learn about the author. Thanks for the article.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love that it's a series. That's every author's dream!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How fun to learn a little about what inspires and interests the authors. I know someone who will definitely get this book for a birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great interview! This sounds like an awesome summer read.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have such high regard for authors everywhere. To sit down and do an entire book is something great in my book - no pun intended..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm not interested in the story line but thought it was a great interview to help me understand the book.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the front cover of this book. A really nice interview. xx


    www.annanuttall.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am totally obsessed with mermaids, and this book is so enticing to me! I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.