Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Toby's Tails - a charming children's book by Susan Keefe



A review of Toby's Tails - Toby Visits Chats du Quercy

Normally I don’t review books. I find that books are like wine; some like red, while others like white, and we must each make up our own minds. I’m a fan of the bubbly kind myself, but that’s beside the point.

In this week’s author spotlight I’ve decided to review a children’s book, Toby’s Tails – Toby Visits Chats du Quercy, by Susan Keefe. As well as being an amazing book for children, there is another very, VERY, special reason I’m making an exception to the rule. Toby’s Tails novels are part of a series that donates a percentage of its profits to animal shelters. This particular book will be parting with a whopping 50% of its profits to Chats du Quercy. A lover of all things furry and (mostly) four legged, how could I not? (If you read the book, you'll understand that pun).

Chats du Quercy opened in 2010, and is unique in France in that it is the only Adoption Centre solely dedicated to helping abandoned cats. Run by feline behaviourist Lynn Stone, and her husband Ron, over the years it has helped, and saved literally thousands of cats and kittens, an average of 350 per year. For just one rescue shelter, that’s A LOT.

So, without further ado, Toby’s Tails – Toby Visits Chats du Quercy.

Toby leaves Fantasy Farms with his human mommy and daddy. He’s off on another grand adventure and his excitement is palpable. Saying goodbye to the cats, Rammy and Cleo, Toby has no idea that he is about to meet many more feline friends.

Arriving at Chats du Quercy, Toby meets Oggie first, a golden brown dog. Oggie introduces him to Billy, a cat whose owners didn’t have the money to look after him. Billy tells Toby how the Chats du Quercy saved his life by adopting him and paying for his medical bills. But Billy wasn’t the only rescue. He tells Toby about the many other cats and kittens that were rescued by Lynn and Ron Stone. Toby was saddened to hear the stories, but very glad that Chats du Quercy exists.

Susan Keefe’s wonderful style of writing is both whimsical and charming. I immediately fell in love with Toby and her whole family. Not only does she spin a wonderful tale for younger children, but also educates them on important matters, like how to care for your furry friends. She explains, very gingerly, what happened to each cat/kitten and the stories are heart-breaking but wonderful all the same. Included in her book are photos of the most adorable cats and kitten that make you want to just pick them up and cuddle them.

Toby’s tails is a book I would recommend for both children, adults, and fellow furry friends who just want to support animal welfare in general. 

Where can you buy this book?

 

Who is Susan Keefe?

40 comments:

  1. Sounds cute! I'm always looking for new books to read my boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great book that my kids and I would all enjoy! It sounds like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading a book just like this one where the main character was a dog and the whole book was just from its perspective, and it was wonderful! I'll add this book to my reading list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fun, too. I like animal books like that.

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a great children's book. I think I would enjoy it as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this lovely review and promotion I and the Chats du Quercy really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading children books to my son during bedtime. This sounds an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't normally read books about animals, especially if it's a children's book. But I'm sure a lot of kids will enjoy reading about Toby's adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is deffo a book for the cat lady in your lives... thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Toby tails sounds a nice book. My son will love this as he loves having a cat around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the review. Might look into this book to buy my son. Sounds like a cute book.

    Hope you won't take offense but in your 4th paragraph "without further ado" is the correct term. Like "much ado about nothing". Just thought you might like to know. #grammarnazi #sorry

    | yvonnesowell.com |

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, of course it is. Fingers typing too fast for brain syndrome.

      Delete
  11. We have a cat, Penelope. My boys are hence cat lovers, this might be something they would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a great read for myself and my kids. As cat lovers, we are all in for books about fun cats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love a good cat story. Kitties are the best

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nothing makes me happier to see books that benefit nonprofits, especially when they support animals. While I'm more a dog person, I love animals and anything that helps them is purrfection.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a dog person, but this cat sure does look handsome. I am so happy to hear so much profit goes to the animal shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks so cute! My littlest one is a huge cat lover, and she's just now learning to read. This looks like a perfect bedtime story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My daughter loves books about animals and maybe she might actually enjoy Toby's Tails. Toby actually reminds me of a cat we used to once own.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My daughter loves cats. This isn't her typical type of book but I bet she would read it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have this on my list next time I want to get something for my neph!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a cute idea for a book! I love that they are giving some of the proceeds to charity as well - so important!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it is so great that part of the proceeds go to charity. That always makes me happy, especially when it is a cause like animals. I'm a huge animal lover!
    http://fabulousinfayette.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have a friend that loves cats. This book will be great for her to share with her child.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved reading children books to my son during bedtime. This looks like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love books that are for a good cause. My daughter also loves cats!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's great that they donate a portion of the cost to charity. Not only can you get a book for your child, you can help out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thats incredible the author is donating so much of the proceeds. You never hear of such a margin. I will recommend this to my friends that have little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  27. As an animal lover, I love that a percentage of profits are donated from this book. I read a lot of different books, but I don't think I've read any with animals playing a prominent role in the plot. My nephew loves animal-themed books.

    ReplyDelete
  28. We are always interested in fun but education books for the kids and anything about animals is perfect for us! Thanks so much for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks like a great book! Definitely a book my nephews would enjoy. I love how they donate part of the profit to animal shelters, that is great.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This sounds like a great children's book. I think I would enjoy it as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This seems to be a cute book kids will love :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sounds like a charming book and such a generous way to raise money for charity!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am a pet lover! This would be an amazing book to have in my office!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looks like a great children's book. I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This sounds like a really sweet and fun book. I bet its a great read for the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Omg what a cute book!!!! I will definitely be heading over to Amazon to get this for my daughter

    ReplyDelete
  37. great read for kids. Cute book indeed. Thanks for sharing I have to share this to my sister who's a mom.

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.