Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Universal Studios, a taste of Hogwarts



As some of you know, or might have guessed by now, I’m a huge book fan. 

“No, really?” I hear you say sardonically. Well, seeing as how I’m also an author I should hope so. But more than that, there is one particular author that has captured not only my attention and imagination, but that of my whole family and many other families too. Who am I talking about? The infallible JK Rowling, who else? 

Now I’d love to tell you all that below is an interview with the author of all authors, but sadly that is not the case. Although I’d love to do an interview with her, I’m afraid the rungs on my blogging ladder don’t reach that high up. Sniffle. 

Ever the dogged fan, however, I decided to share with you some of my most treasured experiences and merchandise from the land of wizarding marvels. “Bloody hell, that’s brill!” the voice of Ron Wesley insists. Ron’s right, it is brill if you’re a Harry Potter nut like myself. In fact, I’d probably go as far as saying that there aren’t many nuts like me. My eleven-year-old’s birthday was Hogwarts themed, for goodness sake. You can check it out here if you like. And for his actual birthday gift, we went to Hogsmeade in Universal Studios. Just check out some of the pictures here. My fav was the train ride between Diagonalley and Hogsmeade, or maybe the Gringotts ride, or maybe it was the interactive magic wands… oh, who am I kidding, I loved it all. Here are some shots from our magical adventure.





But what’s a holiday without the memorabilia. For me, having something tangible, something that might gain in value over time, something that I can pass down to my kids, is more than worth it. Some of these items I got outside of Universal studios, while others were treasures I found in the wonderful wizarding world. I've linked as many as I can to online purchasing. Have a look and click the image to find out more.



First, and foremost, the collection of novels by JK Rowling. All seven novels came in this wonderful holder which replicates Harry's trunk. It's a fabulous addition to any library and something that can be used over and over again. This wasn't bought in Universal Stuidos... could you imagine lugging that around... this was bought online. 


https://www.universalorlando.com/Merchandise/Gift/Hogwarts-Luggage-Stationery-Set.htmlhttps://www.amazon.com/Hogwarts-Writing-Quill-with-Stand/dp/B00168TQ4G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464799546&sr=8-2&keywords=harry+potter+quill+and+ink+set 

My next find in Universal was the small leather letter holder, complete with paper and envelopes with the Hogwarts emblem. Along with that, I found this fabulous quill set, all held in a beautiful presentation box, complete with ink and all. 

https://www.universalorlando.com/Merchandise/Gift/Harry-Potter-Wand.html

Then, of course, there's the wands. Popping into Olivanders, the choice was mind-boggling. Not only could you choose your favourite characters wand, but you had the option of buying an interactvie wand that would, after some swishing and incantations, make things move, dribble water, and fall apart inside the wizarding community.This particular wand is an exact replica of Harry Potter's wand and comes with a certificate of authenticity. It's sturdy and is something that will definitely gain value over time and can be passed down through generations.

https://www.universalorlando.com/Merchandise/Shop/Harry_Potter/Sweets.html
Then there are the Nom Nom's. Who could pass up on the opportunity to crack open a chocolate frog, chow down on a chocolate wand, or even try the many terrific and terrible tastes of Bertie Bot's every flavoured Beans... watch out for the vomit tasting ones, blach.

For anyone remotely interested in Harry Potter or JK Rowling’s works, I would highly recommend traveling to Orlando and basking in the quirky wonderment of her world. Don't forget to pick out your own treasures and keepsakes.

This is not a sponsored post.

23 comments:

  1. I was there last year and loved every second of it. I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan and thought they did an awesome job with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have not seen the Harry Potter movies .. or read any of the Harry Potter books. I have been told, by numerous people who know me, that I would enjoy the series. And I know from several sorting quizzes that I belong in Ravenclaw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went last year and had an amazing time. I can't wait to go back. We already have our hotel booked for next year for Disney for 2 weeks so I'm pretty sure we'll be back. This is the perfect place for all Harry Potter fans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been but I think it sounds like fun! I was fortunate to read the first HP book quite early in the publishing stage. My student's mother discovered it in England and brought home a copy for her son. He read it and brought it to me with shining eyes saying, "You need to read this to the class." A few months after we finished, it was brought to the US. It was a very cool time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love JK Rowling and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is one of my fave books. Its good to see another JKR fan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got some amazing stuff. I have yet to visit but am sure I will need to save money for all the cool goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lvoe Universal Studios but when it comes to their handicap policies they really suck. They do have awesome rides though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness my son would LOVE the book collection in the trunk! I am adding this to his Christmas list - yest I start early. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids still bring up our visits to universal studios. Our Harry Potter book collection is very very worn. We've all read them. Some multiple times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been meaning to visit that wonderful place in Universal Studios, but just need to find the time! I absolutely envy you! Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so awesome! I haven't been to Universal Studios in years! My kids haven't started the Harry Potter series yet. Maybe this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't even tell you how jealous I am. I am such a huge Harry Potter fan, I want to go so badly1

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my friends went recently and looking at the pics she took I am so looking forward to going soon! Love Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've actually never read the books or watched the movies, but my husband is a huge fan of Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been dying to take the kids there. We are planning a trip for the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like a lot of fun! I have watched pretty much all Harry Potters this would be a fun family trip :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is something I want to do so badly! I have my Harry Potter wand and snitch sitting on my bookshelves. My brother went last year and said it was amazing - totally jealous :-) And how awesome would it be to interview JK Rowling!?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yup, this is a dream trip for me. I can't wait to taste Hogwarts myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazing trip! My husband would love visiting Hogwarts; he's such a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My family was there 3 years ago, I think that is when Harry Potter first opened. We had a blast and I wouldlove to go back

    ReplyDelete
  21. This place is on my bucket list! I really wanted to go last time we went to Florida, but we just didn't have enough time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We visited Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade in Orlando at the end of 2014. Absolutely loved it! Brilliant! I must have a thousand photos. I couldn't stop. We are heading to Hogsmeade in LA later this year and I can't wait, as well as Warner Bros studios in Burbank, which has a great collection of actual items from the movies.
    JK is a huge influence on me, By far my favourite author and inspiration. While I was writing my first book, The Golden Scarab, I was lucky enough to travel to Edinburgh a number of times. I actually made a point of writing some of it in the Elephant Cafe, where JK wrote much of Harry Potter. I hoped to channel some of her magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that. I so want to go to the Elephant Cafe too. It's on my bucket list.

      Delete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.