Sunday, July 31, 2016

Beginnings - A paranormal fantasy for young adults by J.S. Frankel



It is my absolute pleasure to welcome back author J.S. Frankel to my blog. I have to say, I'm thoroughly impressed by the sheer volume of his work since we last met. It shows his true passion for writing. In today's author spotlight, we discuss his new book, Beginnings (The Nightmare Crew #1) a Young Adult/Paranormal/Fantasy/Action.

What is your book about? 

Beginnings is the first novel in The Nightmare Crew trilogy, a YA Action/Paranormal novel that details the adventures of a young orphan and runaway named Paul Wiseman. He’s young, fairly street smart, but one night he runs into a gang and is rescued by a young woman…who really isn’t a woman, but a lab-created vampire. 

Here’s the synopsis from the FinchBooks.com website:
Being an orphan is no fun. Having no friends isn’t much fun, either. When Paul Wiseman, seventeen, runs away from an orphanage to try his luck on the mean streets of New York, he finds himself trapped and almost beaten to death one night.
Rescued by a vampire named Angela, Paul goes to her small house in upstate New York where he meets her friends—Ooze, a sentient water being, Sandstorm, who uses his sandy body to blind his opponents, and CF—short for Cannon Fodder—a zombie.
The four of them become the Nightmare Crew—beings created by a scientist to fight against the lawless elements of the city. In joining them, Paul finds a family, friendship and maybe even love.
However, the company that allowed the creation of these beings wants them back, and they’ll stop at nothing to retrieve what they believe to be their property. It soon comes down to a battle between those born and those createdand it’s up to Paul to fight for the only family he’s ever known.

What inspired you to write this book? 

I’ve always loved the classic monsters—zombies, werewolves, vampires—but, as you know, the market is glutted with novels about them. I always swore I’d do something different, and I have. However, one day, when I mentioned this ‘glut’ to my wife, she said, “Why not do them all?”
Bingo! That’s what I did, and now the book is out.

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book? 

Believe it or not, it’s not the main character, Paul Wiseman, although I enjoyed writing him. It’s Angela, the female vampire he falls for. She’s beautiful, intelligent, skilled at fighting, but she’s also somewhat na├»ve and innocent.
She desperately wants to find a family, the same as Paul does, and by making her strong, though vulnerable, I think I’ve created a solid character. I actually make my female characters stronger than the male ones. It gives them an ideal to strive for.

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?

I love writing YA. It has a freshness and immediacy to it, and I also love writing action scenes. Someone once commented that everything I write plays out like a movie. That’s exactly what I want them to think when they read my novels…it’s a movie that hasn’t been made yet.
As for writing in other genres, I have written one adult paranormal novel, What She Saw, but I think I could have written it better. I’m never satisfied with what I write, anyway. I always think that I could do the job better…and this is after the book comes out!

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more? 

It’s the first in a trilogy. It will be followed by Law and Order, and finally, Integration. All of them will be out later on this year.

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who

inspired you to become a writer yourself? No one inspired me, per se, but there are a number of writers I admire. Robert S. McCammon is one, N.K. Jemisin is another. I also like Ursula LeGuin, Niven and Pournelle, and Stephen King. 

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel? 

Probably Gone South, by Robert S. McCammon. He’s known more for his early horror novels, but Gone South mixes action with horror and human drama. A longish read, it’s never dull.  It remains a great read for me and speaks of the human heart.

Have you written other books we should know about?

This is my author’s page on Amazon.com.

I’m especially proud of the Catnip trilogy (and #4 and 5 will be out this year, a two-part story arc). I’m also quite proud of Picture (Im)perfect, a YA Romance novel, the only romance novel I’ve ever done. It’s an unusual story between a straight guy and a transgender girl, but I found it quite rewarding to write. Twisted is another favourite.


If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be? 

To never give up; that’s what it’s all about. It’s hard to write, no doubt. It’s harder to come up with a great idea and write about it and make it interesting and topical. But it’s a very rewarding feeling once the novel is completed.

Where can we find your book?

Where can we find out more about you?




Don't forget to subscribe and be the first to hear about fantastic new authors featured on Books and Authors. Please note that subscribers will only receive emails when there is a new post, email addresses will not be used for spamming or advertisement.

35 comments:

  1. Another great interview and nice to learn about the writer. I loved his answer to the question about who his favourite character was in the book and nice to know it was not the obvious main character. I like learning about new authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate your response!

      Delete
  2. This one sound really interesting. i do enjoy a good paranormal book when i can find one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of paranormal stuff as I am a big scaredy cat, but as a writer, I love hearing the author's thoughts and what inspired them to write. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP Keane is not only a great interviewer and blogger extraordinaire, but a really fine writer as well!

      Delete
    2. awe... sucks... I'm blushing now :)

      Delete
  4. This sounds interesting. I can see why young adults might like it. The concept sounds like it would suck them in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think adults would like it...not too gory, but it has enough action to satisfy even the most jaded reader...and a nice message about finding the family you've always wanted.

      Delete
  5. Loved learning more about the author in this interview. Will make sure to add this to my must read books .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you'll give it a try.

      Delete
  6. Wow, this sounds like an interesting book! I love the interview with this author. His advice for aspiring writers is spot on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment, but TP Keane asked the right questions!

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I learned from a few other writers who were kind enough to help me out. I'd like to think that any advice I give is well-intentioned.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like an interesting read and author. What excellent advice for hopeful authors. Thanks for sharing a lovely interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP Keane's interviews are always good. It was my honor to be chosen by her.

      Delete
  8. I've been on a reading binge since the start of summer. This book sounds amazing and I'm adding it to the list next!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks scary to me. I bet my brother would like to read this, he's the avid book reader in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your advice is great and can be passed on to anyone striving to be something that takes practice, consistency and dedication. Never give up on your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I got into writing late, and I'm glad I didn't stop.

      Delete
  11. A lab created vampire?! Sounds amazing! Sign me up! I love supernatural, especially by Charlaine Harris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's science vs myth...and science wins. Hope you'll like it!

      Delete
  12. I love the YA literary scene too, it is fresh and its fun to write and read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice interview! My favorite books are fantasy and sci-fi too! Great content here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TP Keane always conducts terrific interviews.

      Delete
  14. I'm really into this kind of book.. I am a big Stephen King fan and I enjoyed reading the horror and the suspense and also the mystery.. this must be an interesting read and I am glad this one has an ebook version..

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Nightmare Crew has such a ring to it – really like that. This book sounds like a cool read…and very nice that it is part of a trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is "crew" these days...I decided to add my own! :)

      Delete
  16. This sounds like an interesting read. My daughter loves paranormal type books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I usually write paranormal...this trilogy, the Catnip series, Star Maps...all fantasy and paranormal tied up together. It's a great genre to write in. :)

      Delete
  17. Ooooh It seems really interesting. I'd like to read it to find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little offbeat, very funny in places, although it's primarily action...but there's a nice romance tossed in and a lot of fun along the way.

      Delete
  18. The book sounds interesting but it's not my genera. But thanks for sharing the wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.