Wednesday, July 27, 2016

JK Rowling's new book hits the muggle shelves this weekend.



Psst, have you heard the fantastical news through owl post? I have and I can tell you that YES, it's absolutely true. Another great adventure from JK Rowling is making its way into our muggle world on Sunday, 31st July. In case you hadn't guessed, Hogwarts is huge in our house as you can see from my 11 year-old's birthday where we decked the house out to look like Hogwarts.

So, in order to celebrate, I thought it would be a good idea to brush up on some of my spells. You never know who you might meet on your way to collect Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I hear those Dementors are still on the loose in the muggle world. Better to be safe the sorry.

A warning for first years and wizards with Ron-like wands... Books and Authors is not responsible for backlashes, mispronunciations, or wizards up to no good. Try these at your own risk


AccioBrings an object to you
AguamentiCreates a gush of water from the tip of the spell caster’s wand
AlohomoraOpens locks
ApareciumMakes invisible ink become visible
Avada KedavraThe Unforgivable Curse; Kills your opponent; taken from “Abra Cadabra”
AviforsTurns things into birds
AvisMakes birds fly out of the end of your wand
BombardaCauses a small, locally contained explosion.  To make a bigger explosion, one could use “bombarda maxima”
ColloportusCloses a door and binds it so that it can’t be opened.
ConfringoAKA the Blasting Curse; Causes the item targeted to explode
ConfundusConfounds your target, or makes them temporarily confused
ConjunctivitisDamages the eyesight of your opponent, making them seem to have pink eye
CrucioThe Second Unforgivable Curse, the Cruciatus Curse; Tortures your opponent mercilessly
DeletriusErases the last spell cast by a wand so that it can’t be discovered
DensaugeoMakes teeth grow out of control
DiffindoMakes seams split open, severs an object into two pieces
DissendiumOpens a specific passageway into a cellar, may be useful in other instances; may be only a password
DuroTurns an item to stone.
EnervateMistaken spell. Changed to Rennervate.  Used to wake up a stunned person
EngorgioMakes an item larger, as in swollen
EpiskeyHeals relatively minor wounds.
EvanescoCauses an item to immediately dissolve away, as if it had never existed
Expecto PatronumCreates Patronus
ExpelliarmusDisarms the target of the spell, such as knocking their wand out of their hand
Fera VertoTransforms animals into water goblets!
FerulaBinds a broken limb with a splint and bandages, tightly wrapped
FideliusAllows a secret to be hidden within the secret keeper’s soul; very powerful spell
Finite IncantatemStops any spell
FlagrateAllows the user to write or draw in the air with fire
FlipendoAlso knows as the Knockback Jinx, pushes or flips something backwards
FurnunculusCauses a person to break out in boils
GeminioCreates a duplicate of an item (a twin, as in the zodiacal sign Gemini).
HomorphusMan-Shape; makes a werewolf or person disguised as an animal resume their human shape
ImmobulusImmobilizes the target
ImpedimentaPuts up an impediment that slows down something or someone that is coming toward you
ImperioThe third unforgivable curse.  Allows the user to assume complete control of another person
ImperviusRepels water from a surface
IncarcerousConjures up ropes, which then bind an opponent
IncendioLights a fire
LegilimensAllows the user to gain access to another’s mind and memories
LevicorpusTurns your opponent upside down and dangles them in thin air
Liberacorpus“Liberates”, or frees a body that has been caught up by the levicorpus spell
Locomotor MortisThe Leg-Locker Curse; locks an opponent’s legs together
LumosCreates light, usually by making the tip of the wand glow.  More light can be created using “lumos maxima”
MobiliarbusUsed to move a tree from one place to another
MobilicorpusUsed to move a body from one place to another
Morsmordre or MorsmordeUsed to summon the Dark Mark
MuffliatoCauses a buzzing noise to surround a limited area so that those in the area can carry on a private conversation
NoxExtinguishes light, used to douse the light created by “Lumos”
ObliviateMakes a person “oblivious”, erasing their memories of an event
OrchideousConjures a bunch of flowers from the user’s wand
Petrificus TotalusTotal petrification; petrifies an opponent totally
Point MeThe Four Point Spell; makes the user’s wand act like a compass
PortusTurns any item into a Portkey, which can then be used to transport a person or persons to another location.
Prior IncantatoReveals to you the last spell that a wand was used to cast
ProtegoProtects the user, and sends a spell back on an opponent
QuietusMakes things quiet, used to muffle “Sonorus”
ReducioShrinks an item
ReductoBlasts solid objects into pieces
RelashioReleases something from being constrained or held
RennervateWas originally “ennervate”, but corrected by author; means to energize or wake up
ReparoRepairs broken items
RepelloRepels something
Repello MuggletumMakes an area invisible to Muggles
RevelioCauses something that is hidden to be revealed
RictusempraCauses a person to curl up in laughter, as if being tickled
RiddikulusMakes a boggart assume a “ridiculous” form, thereby making it funny instead of terrifying
Salvio HexiaUnclear; seems to strengthen other protective spells, or to deflect any hexes cast toward a specific location
ScourgifyUsed to clean dirt or other material off of a surface
SectumsempraCauses lacerations to appear all over an opponent’s body, as if they had been cut by an invisible sword
SerpensortiaConjures a snake
SilencioMakes the target of the spell unable to make any sound.
SonorusAmplifies the user’s voice
StupefyStupefies an opponent, or knocks them insensible temporarily
TarantallegraForces an opponent’s legs to dance uncontrollably
TergeoScours something clean
WaddiwasiRemoves a stuck object, as in a wad of gum that is stuck in a keyhole
Wingardium LeviosaAllows the user to make an object levitate

PS I reckon JK Rowling should utilize this Pokemon Go tech and create a wizarding one with interactive wands.... ohh could you imagine seeing a dementor floating outside your window at night ... I'd def buy that.

Don't forget to subscribe and be the first to hear about fantastic new authors featured on Books and Authors. Please note that subscribers will only receive emails when there is a new post, email addresses will not be used for spamming or advertisement. 

40 comments:

  1. I must confess I've never read any JK Rowlings books or seen the HP films lol. But she seems to be a very talented writer who can do no wrong! Wish her new book all the luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How in the world did I not know about this. I NEED to get my hands of a copy of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing! Love how you listed all the spells! I love Harry Potter! Great post xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited about this!! I need a copy! I love HP :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know a lot of people who are excited by this, I have never read a Harry Potter book and only seen bits of the films x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Harry Potter films but only ever read one book

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe this franchise is STILL going!

    ReplyDelete
  8. JK Rowling makes me all sorts of happy, she seems to have a new wizardy film out too which I seen advertised yesterday. She's a bad ass! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, your Hogwarts party looked amazing!
    I loved that you have listed all the spells here, there are so many I had never heard of! I love Densaugeo hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is quite a comprehensive list. I think I need to get started on these Harry Potter books soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so excited for this book. I have already pre ordered it and I really hope that it arrives quickly x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hard to believe that I didn't know about this. Not that I am a huge Harry Potter fan or anything, but I usually have my finger better on the pulse of new media like this. I hate that I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah I'm off to order this for my son right now!! And thanks for the spells lesson :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to read this book. I have been waiting forever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am HP obsessed, but have never read the books. I am sure my sister will be picking this up though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Would you believe I have never read or seen one of these movies!! I know my daughter is excited to start reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh we love HP in our house, so this is another one we are adding to the collection! I love that you listed the spells here.. Great post xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I so need to get this book! I love Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have still never read any of the HP books or seen any of the films. I am really behind.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The HP Pokemon Go idea is awesome! My son has had his copy of the new book preordered for what seems like forever.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't watched all the Harry Potter movies yet, but I absolutely adore J.K. Such an amazing talent!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't wait to read this and YES to the Harry Potter/Pokemon Go thing - I would love that!!!! Omg yes.

    Jess xo | The Indigo Hours

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE THIS POST!!! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this book!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love reading. Can't wait to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love J.K Rowling so I can't wait to read this x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh this is super exciting. It's crazy how many spells Rowling has created over the course of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's ordered and I'm waiting with baited breath.. CAN NOT WAIT!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am SO excited about this. As soon as I heard the news, I ran to pre-order it. Thanks for the lesson in spells!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ok, I've never read the Harry Potter books yet. I'm not sure why they never appealed to me. Maybe once my daughter gets a little older we will read them together.

    ReplyDelete
  30. My daughter loves the Harry Potter series. I know she is going to love this!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Comprehensive list of spells! I'll have to look out for this at the local library. I have fantastic summer memories of sitting on a rock at the edge of the bay, ploughing through all the original Harry Potter books.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm only up to the 3rd movie and never read any of the books. I really want to though. I want to believe in all this magic stuff lol x

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love all of those spells! And if they come out with a Potter Go App I will happily download it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I had no idea a new book was in the works! I've just recently discovered Harry Potter and I still have more than half of books left. I'm looking forward to finishing them all!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow i didn't know it was out yet, I need to get a copy of this.

    ReplyDelete
  36. EEK! It's tonight! How exciting! My kids and I are reading the series so that we can read this!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I can not wait until my copy arrives! I meant to preorder it sooner but I was away and only minded the day before it was published!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Im not sure whether or not I want to read this, I was tempted to get it at the station today but didnt x

    ReplyDelete
  39. a little secret, i haven't read any of the HP books... not sure why i haven't

    ReplyDelete
  40. Haha is it bad that I have never read a Harry Potter book lol.... Everyone else I know though... Totally obsessed

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.