Sunday, July 31, 2016

Ten Lives - a witty science fiction adventure by Christian Terry




I always enjoy a science fiction adventure with comedy, similar to that of Douglas Adams. In today's Author Spotlight I met just such an author, Christian Terry, who discussed with me his fantastic new science fiction novel, Ten Lives.

What is your book about?

After agreeing to hunt down an ancient relic on an alien world Mike Wesley may have gotten more than he bargained for: the mark of the hero which gives him ten extra lives to live. Between the deadly booby traps and the cute, cuddly murderous cat creatures that inhabit Kelenia, he’ll need each one of his new lives if he wants to make it back home to Atlanta in one piece.   

What inspired you to write this book?   

My love of videogames and adventure stories inspired me. The idea of being able to die in a videogame then comeback to life like nothing happened and then save the world, always made me giggle.

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book? 

I think Mike is my favorite character, his voice and his sayings are unique and I don’t think I’ve heard another character trash talk the way he does, plus he’s from my city and there aren’t a lot of heroes or heroines represented in any media. My least favorite character is Ariel…because reasons.

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre? 

I’ve always loved science fiction since I was a kid. From Star Wars to Stargate , writing this story is like me giving back to the genre that helped give me a great childhood. Writing to me is almost like playing with action figures. No other genres, not yet.

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more? 

There will be a sequel.

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? 

Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself? I think it has been a part of me at an early age. I think I wrote a novelization of the Ninja Turtles movie without ever seeing it…good times. I loved Michael Critchton, Anne Rice and Eric Nylund.

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel? 

On A Pale Horse by Piers Anthony, I read it whenever I can.  Very imaginative stuff.

Have you written other books we should know about? 

Not yet.

If you could advise aspiring writers on only one aspect of authordom, what would your advice be? 

Be patient, nothing good ever comes from rushing. Let the story flow out of you,don’t force it. Never force it.  Rome wasn’t built in a day and neither was a well edited, very entertaining story.

Where can we find your book?

Kobo   
Smashwords    

Where can we find out more about you?

Twitter @christerry4000



Don't forget to subscribe and be the first to hear about fantastic new authors featured on Books and Authors. Please note that subscribers will only receive emails when there is a new post, email addresses will not be used for spamming or advertisement.

52 comments:

  1. This book sounds interestingly weird! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, being weird is always better than being normal I think;)

      Delete
  2. Patience is the key to having a well edited, and entertaining story. I absolutely agree with this. The book gives me goosebumps! It sounds mysterious and intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, first time I've saw my book has given someone goosebumps!

      Delete
  3. I really have to get back into reading -it's embarassing to admit that I haven't read a book in what feels like EONS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never too late to get back on that train!

      Delete
  4. Okay now this is a book i would most likely enjoy mainly because is sounds kind of weird. I definitely like my books to be different. Off to get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  5. I love hearing more about the book from the author when I'm going to read a new book...and how fun that it will be a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, brilliant interview with the author. I've always wanted to write my own book. Maybe one day I'll take his advice and not rush through writing it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take your time, the world's not going anywhere, write that manuscript!

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a book my husband would enjoy. Their backgrounds sound very similar too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, the idea of having a cat as a character sort of makes ME giggle. I like hearing things from the author, sometimes I tend to miss the obvious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Err...well the cat is a character but what ever you do, please don't pet him! ;)

      Delete
  9. What a fun idea for a book! It is kind of fun to have an animal as a character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is fun...until you pet him,please don't pet him! :)

      Delete
  10. I grew up in Atlanta so I love books that are based in cities that I know. The idea of having multiple lives is so unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I haven't came across many science fiction books that take place in Atlanta, that's one of the reasons I wrote this story.

      Delete
  11. Love the answer to the last question. It is so true! Rome was not build in one day. It is always good to be patient, no matter what you are waiting. "Good things come to those who wait"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Take your time, what's the hurry?

      Delete
  12. It is so true, forcing a story does not make a good narrative. Letting the story flow naturally or exploring your most vulnerable moments makes for the best stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I've found that I have even better ideas that I would want to implement after taking time off of a project. Patience is the key to everything.

      Delete
  13. I love anything with a sequel! This book would be right up my husband's alley, he loves everything science fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your husband sounds COOL! Hope he gives it a try!

      Delete
  14. It sounds like a book that my son will love. It's definitely interesting and it has adorable characters! I wouldn't mind reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Death by cat sounds like my worst nightmare. I am not the biggest cat fan anyway, but to killed by one would be the worst way to die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second that, the idea of something cute and cuddly wanting to make a meal out of you is really messed up.

      Delete
  16. Great advice for aspiring and other writers. Thanks for sharing this interview with us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time out to read it! Hope it helped you in some way.

      Delete
  17. Loving how videogames are the inspiration. Dying and coming back to life are so true in these games, and can really be a cool way to find inspiration for a story!
    Karen | GlamKaren.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were my thoughts exactly when I started this story!

      Delete
  18. I love interview possts. It gives such insight to the writers and creators. Thank you! Loved reading this.

    | yvonnesowell.com |

    ReplyDelete
  19. A book based on video games? Maybe my husband will actually read this one. What an interesting concept.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love when an author gives an interview about a book that is so interesting sounding and then announces that there will be a sequel. I love books that come in series more than anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do as well! I love forming an attachment to characters throughout a series.

      Delete
  21. Awesome advice about being patient. It sounds like this is a great read for any science fiction enthusiast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience is a virtue...and it also helps to endure the year until Christmas time. :)

      Delete
  22. I love the insight you give on the book. I am thinking this is one for the husband though also!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never been a huge fan of Science Fiction but I have been meaning to read more books within the genre. This one sounds like it has an intriguing plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first few chapters are on watt wattpadd if you're interested in taking a peek. :)

      Delete
  24. Wow I know a lot of people who would love this! This is not so much my type of genre though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all good, different strokes for different folks!

      Delete
  25. Great author insight to let the story flow. That's true in so many parts of life. Why do we feel the need to rush things? Americans love instant gratification haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha that is very true, this whole "I want it now" culture needs to change. We're all slowly turning into that girl from Willie Wonka! :p

      Delete
  26. I have never been one to read books (don't tell my mom that) -- I'm not sure my personality is able to sit still for that long! Buuut, I am making it a goal of mine to finish one book each 'quarter' // Maybe i'll start with yours! Looks really fun, and adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you, I hope that you enjoy it and at the very least get a few laughs out of it as well! :)

      Delete
  27. This looks like a great book! Mu husband loves books like these so I will have to pass it on to him!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oooo now this sounds like my kinda read! I have been all about reading this summer. Might just have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.