Monday, August 1, 2016

Baby's Got Blue Eyes - a crime fiction novel by LM Krier



In today's Author Spotlight, L M Krier discusses her thrilling crime fiction novel, Baby's Got Blue Eyes: Introducing DI Ted Darling.

What is your book about?

Someone is dumping bodies on DI Ted Darling's patch and he's not happy. Ted's a good solid copper, in an old-fashioned way, with an excellent clear-up rate. He's not at all like your average cop and has his own unique way of dealing with any prejudice his differences bring him. No heavy drinking, no failed marriage, just a steady, long-term relationship. He and his partner have cats, not kids. But this serial killer seems to be running effortless rings round Ted and his team. Every promising lead just takes them up another frustrating blind alley. Then it starts to get personal …

What inspired you to write this book?

I'm sorry to sound naff but it really is true – I had a dream! I read a lot of crime fiction, and watch crime on TV.  I was becoming tired and a bit disillusioned with the endless stereotyping of police in crime fiction. The men always seem to be hard-drinking, chain-smoking, possibly gambling, woman-chasing mavericks, and the women are all ballsy, damaged, in bad relationships, hitting the bottle, and so on.  I think my sub-conscious must have been mulling over a different type of copper, with none of those faults, because on Christmas Eve, 2014, I had a vivid dream which was more or less the entire book, and very much the central character, DI Ted Darling, as a complete entity. Since then I've written five books in the series and just started the sixth.

Who is your favourite, and least favourite, character in the book?

I have a huge soft spot for the main character, Ted Darling. He's a man of great integrity and considerable modesty. My least favourite is hard to talk about, without giving spoilers of the plot!

What draws you to this genre? Do you write in any other genre?

I've always enjoyed crime, since being young and reading Agatha Christie and Ngaio Marsh. Being a court reporter for years kept up my interest. I also write travel memoirs (I live in France) under the pen-name Tottie Limejuice. My first children's fiction book, again with a crime twist, will be out later in 2016, under the name L M Kay.  I've also co-written a book with my great friend Jill Pennington, who also writes. It's called Take Three Birds and is published under the collective name of Jilli Lime-Holt. We laughingly call it 'chickality' as it's rather like reality meets chicklit.

Is this a standalone book, or can we expect more?

Baby's Got Blue Eyes makes a good standalone as it's the first in the DI Ted Darling series which now has five books and I've just started Book 6. It's being relaunched with a brand new cover on 1st July 2016.

Tell me about you and what drew you to writing? Are there any authors who inspired you to become a writer yourself?

My late father was a newspaper editor and former president of the Guild of British Newspaper Editors. He reviewed books for his own and other papers so I grew up surrounded by books. We also didn't have a television when I was young so reading was very much a way of life. I trained as a journalist and worked on papers in England, Wales and Germany for ten years, later retraining to become a freelance copywriter and copy editor. Because I've written as a profession for most of my life, once I retired, I just kept on writing, but this time for myself. When I was young, through my father, I was fortune enough to meet Alan Garner several times. I loved his children's books, and do still read them from time to time.

Other than your own book, what is your favourite novel?

The Lord of the Rings is one I will often dip into for a browse. I would really struggle to pick out a single favourite as, aside from the crime fiction, my taste is eclectic. I especially like Steinbeck.

Have you written other books we should know about?

The travel memoir Sell the Pig series, as Tottie Limejuice.

Where can we find your book?


Where can we find out more about you?




Don't forget to subscribe and be the first to hear about fantastic new authors featured on Books and Authors. Please note that subscribers will only receive emails when there is a new post, email addresses will not be used for spamming or advertisement.

35 comments:

  1. Its great that his novel was inspired by a dream. It is often our imagination that creates the greatest narratives x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds a bit cheesey but it is honestly true!

      Tottie Limejuice aka L M Krier

      Delete
  2. Haha, dreams like that are exactly why I stopped reading crime fiction. This sounds really good though. I may have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope it meets with your approval

      L M Krier

      Delete
  3. I love that a dream was the start of this. I also love that the main character is steady. So often, you find broken main characters that become more steady throughout the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ted's very different from your average crime fiction character, that's for sure!

      L M Krier

      Delete
  4. British Crime Dramas are my favorite. I have a whole bookshelf of them. I am checking this out for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope it meets with your approval

      L M Krier

      Delete
  5. The book sounds so exciting! I love crime stories, you won't be able to put the book down until you finish the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often think that the best stories start as dreams! I haven't read a crime fiction book in a while, I really should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Ted will encourage you to do so.

      L M Krier

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a great book! I love exciting crime stories (and tv shows) that keep me on the edge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will find Ted exciting.

      L M Krier

      Delete
  8. I love the plot of this book, it sounds very interesting to me! Would love to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you do and that you will enjoy it.

      L M Krier

      Delete
  9. I already read this novel :) Its owesome .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it's very kind of you to say so.

      L M Krier

      Delete
  10. It is awesome that you get to interview authors. I haven't read for pleasure in so long but I would love to pick the brains of the authors of some of my fav books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't take you long to pick mine, it's not very big :)

      I really loved doing this interview, thanks so much for having me.

      L M Krier

      Delete
  11. Interesting book! Never heard of this author. Seems like a very suspenseful book'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm relatively new to writing crime fiction, although already well known for travel memoirs under the name Tottie Limejuice. Not really suitable for a crime writer so I use the pen-name L M Krier for those

      Delete
  12. I can't fid my comment - haha! I was saying how awesome that the inspiration came from a dream! What wonderful talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very lucky that the dream provided me with so much information. I knew all about Ted by the time I sat down at the keyboard to writer about him.

      L M Krier

      Delete
  13. I love books! And this sounds like a great book, loved finding out more about the author. im going to check it out. Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy chatting on this blog, it was great fun. I hope you will like the book(s).

      L M Krier

      Delete
  14. Sounds like an awesome book, that I'm going to have to check out soon.
    Thank you so much for sharing it with us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will enjoy meeting Ted. He has quite a following already and is a bit addictive!

      L M Krier

      Delete
  15. I love reading books and this sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for sharing your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will enjoy it. Best wishes

      L M Krier

      Delete
  16. I love crime fiction.Murder mysteries are my staple comfort read 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like Ted, there are five books in the series now and I've just started the sixth.

      L M Krier

      Delete
  17. I'm not a big fan of crime fiction but this book sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing the review with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ted series is a bit different to your average crime fiction in that there's nothing too gory and there's a lot about the people and their relationships in it. People have really taken to Ted as he's a bit different. I do hope you will give him a try.

      L M Krier

      Delete
  18. This looks like such an awesome book! I am into thrillers and always on the search for new ones.

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.