Thursday, August 11, 2016

Meeting Ashley Royer at the New England Author Expo

As many of you know, I attended the New England Author Expo, orgainsed by Christopher Obert of Pear Tree Publishing, as a blogger. And I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed my time. I learned a great deal from the panels of authors, editors, and many more, who dished on their experience of the publishing world and offered invaluable advice. Not only that, but I also got to meet and interview some amazing authors. This week, over the course of seven days, I will be sharing the stories of those wonderful imagineers, and today I share the inspiring story of Ashley Royer: A young author (17) repped by agent David Fowler and published with Harper Collins. Her book, Remember to Forget, has taken Wattpad and the nation by storm. So how did she do it at only seventeen?




I hear that you are also a vlogger, could you tell me a little bit about that?

So, I have my youtube channel and I make random videos of me talking and singing songs. (Check out her song, Jet Black Heart... I loved it) I also do things with my book. But I started in Wattpad. This is where I began writing Remember to Forget and another book when I was around twelve or thirteen. I gained quite a large following. Right now I have ninety-two thousand followers there and I have a total of thirty million reads for both of my books.

And how did it progress from writing on Wattpad to getting your agent? 

I wrote on Wattpad for two years and I didn’t tell anyone about it, not even my mom. I kept it a secret, but then because of my youtube channel she found a comment about it one night. Normally I delete all the comments, but it was the middle of the night and I couldn’t delete it so she saw one about my book. She didn’t tell me for about a month and then she sat me down and told me she had gotten me agent and an attorney. 

Did that come as a shock to you?

I kind of knew that she had found it because she kept saying things that only happened in my book. So I definitely knew that she knew, but I wasn’t expecting her to get an agent and attorney and help me publish my book.

So how has the experience been? Has it been a whirlwind and something you’ve not expected? 

Definitely. It came out in April of this year so it’s still sort of new. But I’ve gone to Chicago for a book conference and I’ve done a book conference in Boston. That’s definitely a new experience for me but I like it a lot.

And how have you found the sudden stardom, is it something you’ve not gotten used to yet?

Well, for me I just feel like the same person, but then I go to book signings and book conferences, or even just concerts, and people are so excited to meet me. Like, I will literally have girls who will hide behind the bookshelves in Barnes and Nobles because they’re too nervous to meet me. And at a conference I had a girl run across the whole venue with no shoes on, just so she could meet me. So that stuff, when it hits me, it’s like… wow, people actually want to meet me. And then when I go to work, everything is normal. I have a friend who works with me, that says I live a Hanna Montana life.

So, tell me about your book and what it’s all about?

So, my book is about a boy, Levi, who stops speaking after his girlfriend dies in a tragic accident. He uses his phone to speak and he deals with depression and anxiety. When he moves from Australia, where he lived with his mom, to Maine with his dad, he meets new people and they help him through all his struggles. It is his story of getting to be a better person.

How have you found the response to your book? 

Most people have really, really enjoyed it. They like how they can connect with the characters and how it deals with common teenage struggles, so a lot of my readers can connect and relate to what they going through. They can see themselves at the characters, which is what I try to do while writing. A lot of people say that it is an inspiration to them, which is amazing.

It really is. Have you any plans for another book? 

I hope to. I’m sort of working on a sequel for Remember to Forget. But I’ve been working on that for almost a year and it’s not quite done. It’s just so hard with trying to do this book and I’m still a senior in High School, so I’m still dealing with that.

How has that juggle been? 

Em, sometimes it’s tough, but I like it.  

If you would like to find out more about Ashley Royer, click the links below. 
Website
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
Wattpad 

If you'd like to check out her book it can be found where books are sold, including
Amazon

Don't forget to subscribe and be the first to hear about fantastic new authors featured on Books and Authors. Please note that subscribers will only receive an email when there is a new post, email addresses will not be used for spamming or advertisements. 


 

61 comments:

  1. That expo sounds like it was awesome. So happy you got to meet her. She sounds like a great author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing for such a young girl. Her mom sounds awesome for getting on with the legalities and helping her daughter in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like meeting people who write books. They have wonderful talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet interview. I love reading these encouraging stories of women who have made dreams come true ... especially writers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The books sounds really interesting! So fun that you were able to interview the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't believe it... 17?!? And a secret from her mom? What a great story on a humble, talented young girl! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting young woman! I would love to check out this book, and it's so cool that you got to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never get tired of reading your interviews and learning about everyone you interview. You are so lucky to meet so many great and creative people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's awesome that she's seen success at sound a young age. It sounds like she's super talented and her book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great experience to meet a young aspiring author. I know how hard it is to work at this for such a long time and finally get published

    ReplyDelete
  11. How amazing that her mom helped her out like that! I have not heard of her before she sounds like an amazing young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - sounds like an amazing event! So glad you got to attend the expo :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so cool that your mom got the agent and attorney for you. She's obviously extremely supportive!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a talented and inspirational young girl! And her mom's support is absolutely fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow I can't believe she's so young and yet so smart and mature! Lovely young lady

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was a great interview I loved reading it

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw I love Wattpad, its great that your mum got the agent and attorney for you she is very supportive x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an incredible experience getting to interview authors and get an inside view of their talents and successes. What did you find was a common theme at the event?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, determination. Every author overcame different obstacles to get their book published, whether it be self-published or traditionally published.

      Delete
  19. What a sweet and talented young lady! I'm so excited for her, and the opportunity to meet Ashley must've been so enlightening!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an interesting young woman. And I can't believe it - 17! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It was a great interview. She is so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  22. She sounds like an amazing young lady. I love how supportive her mother is of her writing! I'm sure she was pleasantly surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for this introduction to a new-to-me author. Always like reading about the journey of now famous writers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! She is so young! Go her! That is awesome for her to be realizing her dreams so young!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great interview of this outstanding young lady! Great job with the coverage of the event.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't see my comment but I read this earlier and commented. I loved reading about her success.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow what a powerhouse teen. She reminded me a lot of myself I wrote so many short stories as a teen...if only my mom would of invested and got me an attorney too. Thats a blessing her mom believed in her and I wish her the best.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing story! What a talent at such a young age too, the book aounds fab!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very inspiring to see a young author like herself!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds like an interesting event. I would love to attend.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very cool. When my kids were toddlers we started attending book signings to meet some of their favorite authors and they loved it. We still attend them today and they're both teens.

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's awesome to have come this far, a lot of authors in wattpad do not get that kind of a break. I'm sure it's an awesome story!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is such a great interview. I love to hear the stories of how the authors pushed through to make their dream a reality.

    ReplyDelete
  34. She is adorable! I love that she was published and that she's a vlogger. How exciting is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  35. what a treat that you got to interview this author. I think it's great that you get to spend time with them and getting to ask things you want to know

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh, what a very interesting person. I love to go to this expo too, I hope there is near in our place.

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's so cool that she is also a Vlogger! I love when authors cross over media channels.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Title sounds interesting to me. I am a bookworm and I am looking forward to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  39. that sounds like such a fun event that I'm sure you came away learning so much!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love seeing people getting recognized like this at expos. I also love a great Wattpad read.

    ReplyDelete
  41. So happy to see that you had such a great time. What a great young woman.

    ReplyDelete
  42. You have conducted this interview very nicely and asked some great questions. Ashley Royer sounds intelligent in her answers!

    ReplyDelete
  43. She is like the accidental author. But, I bet her book is really good. Guess there's only one way find out!

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a fun experience to meet an author you admire and have the chance to interview her. I'm going to look into this book!

    ReplyDelete
  45. The story sounds very uplifting. It's great to see people overcome adversity in their own unique ways.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I feel like I've heard of this book. I can't believe how young she is. I love how her mom supported her.

    ReplyDelete
  47. It's always fun getting to meet new authors. Her story sounds very interesting! A lot must take place in his head, which would be intriguing to read.

    ReplyDelete
  48. She seems like a cool author. plan to check out the book.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Sounds like an interesting event and Very inspiring to see a young author like herself!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Its always interesting to see how authors develop and blossom. Being an aspiring author myself, it is very inspiring to read this interview.

    ReplyDelete
  51. That is awesome to see a young writer. I know a lot of younger people as well as adults can relate to txting!
    Love,
    Ivelisse | CarnationDreams.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. Blimey! published at 17! Mad respect to Ashley Royer & even more to her mom for going out of her way to support her daughters work. It was truly inspirational to read that. I've been on Wattpad & wasn't really sure about publishing stories for free so I just added some of my short ones. It's that eternal question of how, when & where you want your writing to be view but after reading this, I'm super pumped to try it out. I mean she wrote stuff when she was twelve! I love that she's developed it from such a young age. Thank you so much for this post and for introducing me to ashley and her books.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Not quite sure how Authors cook up something so magical! Looks like such a fun experience, and cool you go to meet and support her! Will have to check it out! xo

    ReplyDelete
  54. Woow she is so young yet intelligent. It's very inspiring seeing people at that age making big things happen. x

    ReplyDelete
  55. i lvoe seeing young writers doing well. I am definitely checking out this book. thank you for always havign great interviews and reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I can't say that I've heard of her but I'm glad you got to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  57. She sounds like a nice person with a lot of imagination working with real life experiences. I'd love to know more about the protagonist's attempts for peace and closure with his current state.

    ReplyDelete
  58. She is so inspiring! I can't believe she wrote a book and she's just a senior in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  59. The expo is a nice way to connect people. Love her being a young author full of ideas and thoughts. She is inpiring, really.

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.