Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Meeting Jennifer Owen Davies at the New England Author Expo




As many of you know, I attended the New England Author Expo, orgainsed by Christopher Obert of Pear Tree Publishing, as a blogger. And I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed my time. I learned a great deal from the panels of authors, editors and many more, who dished on their experience of the publishing world and offered invaluable advice. Not only that, but I also got to meet and interview some amazing authors. This week, over the course of seven days, I will be sharing the stories of those wonderful imagineers. To that end, I would like to introduce, Jennifer Owen Davies, author of the young adult series Children of Annwn, featuring The Promise, The Battle, and Gilgamesh, and the adult romances Capturing the last Welsh Witch and The Vineyards of Allegretti


Please tell me about your books and if there are any that are part of a series?

The children of Annwn is a young adult fantasy series. Basically it’s a coming of age story about overcoming your fears and the challenges you have to face. My main character, Mia Childs, is seventeen and she really doesn’t feel that she fits into the world she lives in. But that’s for a very good reason. She discovers that when she meets a boy, that she’s not actually human. It begins a saga of discovering who she is and embracing the good and bad parts of her. She faces her fears and becomes a very strong warrior by the end. It’s a great story full of magic, fantasy, romance, and the characters follow from book one through to book three. There’s also a possibility that this series might be extended.
Then I went on to write my two women’s fiction. Again, I love the supernatural, the paranormal side. I’m from Wales originally so I wanted to capture that a bit more. I wrote Capturing the Last Welsh Witch, and it’s doing really, really well. I’m very happy with it. My main character has been hunted throughout life as a witch. In fact she’s had several lives like this and had, at one point, been hung as a witch. So, currently she’s on the run from the FBI and a secret group. It’s about overcoming fears, because she was betrayed, so she has to learn to trust again and fall in love. It’s a really fast paced, action adventure, cat and mouse saga, but it has got a happy ending.
My latest novel is a contemporary one. I’ve always loved Italy, wine, and Tuscany. It’s set in Tuscany and it’s about first, unrequited, love amongst the vineyards. It’s about the secrets we hide inside and what happens when those secrets are spilled. So there’s murder, mystery, and a bit of hot romance as well.

There seems to be a supernatural theme throughout most of your books, could you tell me about your inspiration for these books?

I think I’ve always loved stories and I read from a very young age. I enjoy a good cross-section of books from Cassandra Claire, to Stephanie Meyer, to many more. I love books and I think when you read, and read, you get so many ideas that come into your head and you just want to write. I used to just write in notebooks and not really think anything of it. But I started filling one, two, three, note books and my husband said “you’ve got to start putting these onto the computer.” So I did, and then I realised that I enough to complete a story. So it was my next challenge then was to get that story to make sense. It took me a long time, over years really. It was challenging, but once I realise that I could do it, that I really liked the story, I just couldn’t stop. It’s become a love, a passion and it’s not something I ever want to give up.

And finally, if you could give any advice to someone who wanted to be an author, what would it be?

To not give up, it’s not easy. You can’t go in it thinking you’re going to be financially set. That’s not the reason I ever started writing. To just run with it, to network with other writers because at times it can be very dark and hearing readers come back to me and tell me they loved my book is the reason I keep writing.


If you would like to find out more about Jennifer and her books, please check out her links.
Website
Blog
Facebook
Twitter


If you would like to check out her books, click below
Amazon



Don't forget to subscribe and be the first to hear about fantastic new authors featured on Books and Authors. Please note that subscribers will only receive emails when there is a new post, email addresses will not be used for spamming or advertisement.

38 comments:

  1. I love reading books about the supernatural. When I was a kid I read every age-appropriate book I could find. There wasn't many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, I read a variety of books and as such when writing my first was a little unsure where to begin, but the flare for delving into fantasy and paranormal was hard to resist.
      Capturing the Last Welsh Witch was a patchwork of ideas really, joining my love of all things are possible with strong characters, history, and lots of sizzling chemistry. Thanks for posting a comment.

      Delete
  2. I'm very interested in this concept of an adult fantasy series. The storyline is very intriguing and it makes me want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I have written one YA trilogy which I would say is aimed at 17 and above. I do plan on an adult cross over of that series because in writing the Children of Annwn, I developed so many characters that I would love to continue to explore the possibilities.
      Capturing the Last Welsh Witch is my first adult paranormal and it is a standalone. However, I have received such wild feedback and requests for a sequel, that I am now penning a draft potentially called The Witch's Heart.

      I feel I am exploring and testing myself as a writer to see where I fit the best.

      Currently, my WIP is a chick-lit called Marnie's Plan or tale not sure yet. When Marnie, who is an avid planner is thrown more than her fair share of curve balls she throws her hands in the air and gives up. Hiding under the duvet. Her boyfriend cheats and dumps her. Her mom dies leaving her empty and unsure of her next move as for the past several years she had been her carer. Enter her three crazy but lovable friends who help her to get back on track, plus a dishy and handsome author who hires her as his live-in nanny!!!

      Delete
  3. I always find myself drawn to supernatural books. They are a great way to step into a new world for a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amie,
    It is one of the reason I love reading, stepping into another world. I really enjoyable creating the characters of Ella Masters and Marcus Drayton, they spoke loudly to me on many occasions insisting on the direction of the story. I hope to write the sequel ?? The Witch's Heart for 2017. Thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading YA novels and I am going to be teaching a course in it this fall. I have a contemporary section and I will be looking at this series to add to that list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri,

      The story I wanted to tell seemed appropriate for teens which is why I chose that age range, but in writing the story the theme in the background applies to everyone. We're all scared of something but what defines us is how we overcome that fear or not. It's about the challenges we face which we all do and it's a journey for the main character Mia Childs as she transforms from the shy insecure girl to a strong warrior.

      Delete
  6. Her advice of "just run with it" is great to remember for anything you do. I'm keeping that little bit of wisdom in my head!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I think, what I mean here is that if you overthink something too much you lose something, and if you stop it's harder get started again. I tend to write until I finish and then go back and edit and change things around, but in the beginning I just let it flow. Don't doubt yourself just do it.

      Delete
  7. YA books are still my favorite, I always tend to be drawn to them over anything else. Supernatural is also a favorite of mine, so I'll have to check out these books! I'm always looking for something new to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, please, do Teresa, and let me know what you think! I am trying to find my comfort zone as a writer and fantasy was my start, but I love paranormal, contemporary and who knows I have a penchant for thriller too.Watch this space.

      Delete
  8. I'm loving this expo series. This looks like another book that I need to check out. I can't remember the last time I read something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Wendy,
      Thanks for checking TPKeane's blog and I do hope you get the chance to look at my books. If you do, please, let me know what you think, I always love to hear from readers, and sometimes if request their help!!! x

      Delete
  9. I've always liked attending book fairs or writing events. It's so interesting to learn about author's and what inspires them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Blythe,
      I have always enjoyed these kind of events which bring so much talent together. It is inspirational. Everything inspires me. Today, I was dropping my youngest to soccer camp with his friend whilst imagining writing a young child's book about adopting a dog and the process, care, and subsequent difficulties that follow. We recently, adopted Ella, a black lab/hound, and she is wonderful but she requires a lot of attention, love and commitment. A dog is for life! Here's to living the dream. thank you. x

      Delete
  10. I love supernatural and paranormal books too! I am going to have to look more into her work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, me too! I hope you get the chance to read them and if you do, let me know....

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a fun story for young adults... Thanks for sharing this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Karen,

      It is a fun story for YA, but also adults, and like the saying says write about what you know well, it is fantasy but at the heart it is about fear. We all know about fear, right!!! If you do grab a copy, let me know what you thought I'm always eager for feedback. xThanks.

      Delete
  12. Reading is my escape. I love finding new books and authors so thank you for your insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca,
      Absolutely, and it is for me too! I watch little TV, as reading is my main form of entertainment and I hope that when readers discover my books they are left feeling satisfied and eager for more. Thanks. x

      Delete
  13. I absolutely love fantasy/supernatural themed books so this is definitely going on my list of books to read. Which is good since I'm nearing the end of my summer list; I needed more additions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin, thanks for leaving a comment, and I do hope you have space to read one or all of my books! If you do , please, let me know what you think? Jen x

      Delete
  14. Love this! Just recently found myself delving into YA genre. Adding this author to my list!!��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roxanne, I love the YA genre and also write adult so I will be adding to the collection in both age ranges. If you have time, give them a try and let me know what you think? Cheers, Jen.

      Delete
  15. It sounds like a book my daughter would love. She would certainly relate to the story line, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Children of Annwn series is aimed at 17yrs old and above. It is a story that would appeal, I believe to anyone, as we all face struggles and fears of some kind and the trilogy is about learnign to face them despite your anxiety!

      Delete
  16. Ooooo I'm a huge fan of fantasy books!!! This one sounds like a total goodie. I will have to check it out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CourtneyLynne, thanks for leaving a comment and I hope you get the chance to check it out! Jen x

      Delete
  17. I love reading and I love books. So getting to meet and author and learn about them and their writing is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works both ways Christina, meeting a reader and a fan is the BEST feeling in the world.

      Delete
  18. What a great opportunity, and expo to attend! Books about the supernatural are definitely my favorite. I also love mystery novels. Like I said on Facebook, you're constantly making my reading list grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa, thanks for leaving a comment! My TBR keeps growing too. I love taking a shot at something to see if I can actually do what I set out, if you read Capturing the Last Welsh Witch, let me know what you think?

      Delete
  19. I also love reading, and it definitely sparks a love of writing. I can't wait to check out these books, I love a good coming of age story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, thanks for leaving a comment, and if you get the chance to check these books out let me know what you think?

      Delete
  20. I would love to attend an expo like this. Experiencing new writers is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The EXPO was a lot of fun and great to chat with some talented authors. Thanks for leaving a comment.

      Delete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.