Monday, August 8, 2016

Meeting Maggie Van Galen at the New England Author Expo



As many of you know, I attended the New England Author Expo, orgainsed by Christopher Obert of Pear Tree Publishing, as a blogger. And I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed my time. I learned a great deal from the panels of authors, editors, and many more, who dished on their experience of the publishing world and offered invaluable advice. Not only that, but I also got to meet and interview some amazing authors. This week, over the course of seven days, I will be sharing just some of the stories of those wonderful imagineers. As I perused the tables of tales, I came across one that caught my attention. Meet, Maggie Van Galen, author of The Adventures of Keeno & Ernest (The Banana Tree & The Diamond Mine).


Could you tell me a little bit about your books?

Well, Keeno is a very mischievous little monkey and Ernest is a very wise elephant. They’re best friends in the jungle. Keeno seems to find himself getting into trouble and Ernest has to get him out. There’s a moral to every story and the morals tend to get older as the books get older. So, in the first book, Keeno finds a banana on the wrong side of the river and decides to cross it anyway. He learns a lesson about following family rules, friendship, and listening. And then in the second book, Keeno learns a very valuable lesson about stealing. So, he wants to make a necklace for his mom and he goes to the diamond mine. He gets caught and Ernest has to rescue him. So, again he learns a very valuable lesson about stealing no matter what your intentions were.

Could I ask what your inspiration behind the books was?

So, when I was a little girl, my dad used to tell me stories about Keeno and Ernest. I remember he was a phenomenal raconteur and he would take you away to wherever his stories were. His characters became ingrained in my memory. He passed away about twenty-five years ago and unfortunately he never wrote any of the stories down. So, when my oldest son, who’s now thirteen, was born I started making up my own stories about his characters. And it sort of carried on from there.

That’s so lovely. If you had any advice for someone wishing to become an author, what would it be?

My tag line that I always sign on my books and is all over my website is “Always follow your dreams.” And that would be my advice to anyone wanted to be a writer, artist, or whatever you want to be.

And I see your illustrator is Joanna Lundeen, can I ask how you came to know each other?

Well, before I published any of my books I used to go into my kids classrooms and tell the stories. I didn’t have anything written down, it was just in my head. I’m definitely a storyteller before I am a write. One day, the teacher said, “You should really try to get this published, we could use it in the classroom.” I was hesitant. But when my youngest started school and life became less hectic, the kindergarten teacher put me in touch with her best friend Joanna Lundeen, who is a classically trained artist. She had never actually done a book before, so she was incredibly excited to get stuck in. With the third book coming out near Christmas, called The New Friend, Joanna will be doing that one as well.


To find out more about Maggie, click the links below.

Website
Facebook
Twitter

 

Her books can be found on

Amazon

Don't forget to subscribe and be the first to hear about fantastic new authors featured on Books and Authors. Please note that subscribers will only receive emails when there is a new post, email addresses will not be used for spamming or advertisement.

17 comments:

  1. what a wonderful expo this was. I would have been in heaven to be able to sit and talk to authors. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good advice to anyone looking to follow their dreams. My daughter thinks she was made to be a singer so I'm doing all I can to encourage that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun set of books. Definitely ones that my two kids would enjoy being read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a great book. I need to look for it for my daughter - reading is our favorite together time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The books are perfect for teaching kids valuable lessons. I think she's an amazing author and I'm glad she tried her luck with publishing a book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She sounds like an amazing person. These books sound like something my daughter might like. I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to hearing more about the people you met from this expo. The book sounds like something my kid would like! I need to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg always pretty cool when you get to meet people in real life!!!! This book definitely sounds like a goodie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been loving these posts! It has been so much fun to meet so many new authors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's so cool that she used the stories that her dad used to tell her as inspiration for her books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw its amazing that she has carried on her fathers legacy despite his death 25 years ago and it just goes to show memories can live on through your children.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing you grand adventure,,, Living vicariously through your interests in books and authors... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That s such a lovely interview. It is amazing what a connection she has with the characters and how she got started with writing children books. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww... That looks like such a sweet book which I could be reading to my baby son! I will look into this one! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book looks great. I always love reading author interviews to see where they come from and their thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This book sounds like a great one. Thanks for being able to share the author with us. I love to meet new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is nothing like when you get to meet an author that you have read a book by. That personal connection will stay with you.

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.