Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Meeting Rick Felty at the New England Author Expo



As many of you know, I attended the New England Author Expo, orgainsed by Christopher Obert of Pear Tree Publishing, as a blogger. And I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed my time. I learned a great deal from the panels of authors, editors, and many more, who dished on their experience of the publishing world and offered invaluable advice. Not only that, but I also got to meet and interview some amazing authors. This week, over the course of seven days, I will be sharing just some of the stories of those wonderful imagineers. While I was there, I had the pleasure of meeting the very talented Rick Felty, author of the Tabitha Fink adventures - The Cat With One Eye and On a Mission to Mars. 




 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Could you tell me a little bit about Tabitha Fink?

Sure. So, we had a cat named Tabitha Fink and when we got her she was an adoption and came to us with only one eye. She was a great cat, like everyone’s pets are, and we had a lot of fun with her. But we thought, “There’s something interesting here about Tabitha Fink, and perhaps some stories that could be told.” So, over a couple of years of contemplating what to do, we came up with the first book which is called, Tabitha Fink―The Cat With One Eye, and it is a very early reader that tells her story and is set up in a way that pre-readers can enjoy, with simple words. The goal of that book is to basically say, “You’re as special as anyone else, just by being you.” So, even though Tabitha only has one eye, her message is I’m happy with being me.

That is fantastic, and I can see that your book has won a couple of awards, could you tell me about those?

Yes. So, I’m new to this and entered my book into a couple awards. I won the best children’s book award with the Beverly Hills Book awards. Then with the Feathered Quill Book Awards I was second place for the same category.

That’s amazing, congratulations. I can see you have Tabitha Fink ― The Cat with One Eye and On a Mission to Mars. Are there any more in the works?

Yeap, there sure is. The next one is going to be coming out in the fall and it’s called Ninja at Night. It’s basically about not being afraid of the dark.

And finally, if you could offer an aspiring author advice, what would you tell them?

Start writing and read a lot. The more you read the more you become exposed to styles and to approaches of good writing. And then just to write a lot. Don’t be afraid to have to expect to edit what you’ve written. Otherwise just do it and with self-publishing you can get a book made very easily. So just do it, especially if you have an idea that you’re passionate about.

To find out more about Rick Felty, click the links below.

Website
Facebook
Twitter

His books can also be found on

Amazon



Don't forget to subscribe and be the first to hear about fantastic new authors featured on Books and Authors. Please note that subscribers will only receive emails when there is a new post, email addresses will not be used for spamming or advertisement.

9 comments:

  1. I love books. These look like some good choices for my grandkids. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great chat and opportunity. I'm a Kindergarten teacher and Tabitha Fink sounds awesome! I love that you went to the author expo- great idea! Do you have any tips for a new blogger trying to network?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's an old adage that comes to mind, if you don't ask you wont receive. Never be afraid that what you do isn't big enough, never be afraid to stick your neck out... what's the worst that could happen? My blog just tipped the 11k pageviews a month, but for a long time it hovered at 3/4k. But that never stopped me.

      Delete
  3. sounds like a great author! My little daughter would love his books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tabitha Fink sounds awesome! And what a great opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like an awesome author and story. I love that his inspiration was his one eyed cat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a special message in this book.Loved it.I think .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a special message in this book.Loved it.I think the best way to teach children about all this is through storytelling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rick Felty is such a great author, I wish i could meet him too someday

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid to speak. The weary worlds and heroic adventurers wait with bated breath to hear your thoughts.